Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arre

Extreme Sports 2020 - Arre

Guest Arre

Yes! Exactly what i needed :). Since the swedish summer is crap, this is perfect.

And as cooperkid said.. Better get one those think-caps... :)

//Arre

Guest Arre

I'm not pretty sure this will be my final idea but it's the best so far... I have come up with the: Magnetized Halfpipe Board (MHB)

It will look like a snowboard-halfpipe but it will be made of metal... And you will riding a board that is magnetized, so that the board is't touching the ground/halfpipe. So it is frictionless :lmao:

Guest crutch

if its a board specifically for halfpipe u wouldnt need to control the speed or brake via the board, the rider could control their speed by pumping the ramp just like on a skateboard.

Guest Sisu

Well your body causes friction with the air so there is at least some slowing down. 1km braking area? Also when you've reached the required speed you can stop pushing off right? And of course putting your foot down helps I guess.

Guest Arre

Ah.. brakes... i have thought about that. I plan to add some sort of brakes that is placed under the board at the front and rear. Those brakes will also function as a steering mechanism.

post-13265-1184149507.jpg

So if you lean right the brakes will touch the ground and the board will turn right. I think this is the best steering idea so far...

You dont need brakes if it's a halfpipe only. The biggest problem with riding a pipe och ramp is KEEPING the speed. That's why snowboard halfpipes are sloping downhill, and skaters have to pump in a vert/miniramp. And even if it's frictionless, you still have gravity.

Are you going to make it with bindings, or griptape? Griptape you can just jump off and catch it with your hand (as you do with a skateboard), and with bindings.. hmm.. slam on your chest ;)

quick reminder, magnetic skateboard was in back to the future 2, and hovering "snowboard" was in spiderman.. ehm.. 2?

edit: some second thoughts here, so without friction you wouldnt be able to steer, but you would be able to go up and down the pipe without worrying to much about where youare going because you would go up and down the slopes in a straight line continiously (at least in theory). That lets you concetrate on the spins in the air, and also not worry to much on coming down sideways. I hope that makes sense..

Guest Arre

Thx for the critique :)

Turbofrog

And to brake uniformly, you'd just reduce your magnetic field so they all touch, I take it?

Something like that yes :)

engio

You dont need brakes if it's a halfpipe only. The biggest problem with riding a pipe och ramp is KEEPING the speed. That's why snowboard halfpipes are sloping downhill, and skaters have to pump in a vert/miniramp. And even if it's frictionless, you still have gravity.

Yes I have thought about the gravity thing... I forgot to tell that the halfpipe will be sloping downhill. Sry.. :whistle:

Are you going to make it with bindings, or griptape? Griptape you can just jump off and catch it with your hand (as you do with a skateboard), and with bindings.. hmm.. slam on your chest

And for the bindings it's a bit indecisive. Cause if you only have griptape at those speeds :S i don't know if thats enough. So I think iam going to stick with semi binding's. With semi I mean that the binding's will trigger if you fall so you don't get stuck or something.

quick reminder, magnetic skateboard was in back to the future 2, and hovering "snowboard" was in spiderman.. ehm.. 2?

And sry haven't seen "Back to the future 2", and for Spider Man 2 do you meen that glider thing with rockets that Green Goblin uses? I can asure you that's not what i'm thinking of ;)

edit: some second thoughts here, so without friction you wouldnt be able to steer, but you would be able to go up and down the pipe without worrying to much about where youare going because you would go up and down the slopes in a straight line continiously (at least in theory). That lets you concetrate on the spins in the air, and also not worry to much on coming down sideways. I hope that makes sense..

About the frictionless... It will be almost frictionless. And i you take a look at my last post I illustrate how you will be able to steer. Or like Turbofrog were talking about, switch off the magnetic field on example the right side. So the right side of the board touches the ground and this will make the board to turn right.

Or will it? :worried:

I actually dont think the pipe should be sloping.. that way your run is limited, and at the bottom you will have to come to a stop. I think it would be better if it was just a skateboard ramp. I mean you can go up and down forever on a skateboard, why wouldnt you with this? Except that your ramp can be only 1 meter or so wide, because you wouldnt move sideways when theres no friction.

You can have an emergency brake to switch the polarity or switch of the magnets in your board, and make it some really slippery material so you dont stop instantley but keep rolling a bit..

I suspect we see this thing differently.. ill wait for some sketches to appear before saying more.. hm, if you are thinking of something else I might joins this comp ;)

Guest Arre

The question is if it would be so extreme if you don't have the high speed :confused1:. My first thought were that it should look more like a race in a halfpipe, there you can do your tricks and so on... But as engio said, why don't just skip the slope... You could do a higher and more dangerous ramp instead :)

Guest Arre

A render that tell how I think the board will work for now... This is of course not the definitive design, or how those spoles will be placed.

post-13265-1184276481.jpg