Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Turbofrog

Adding Wrinkles To Fabric In Solidworks

I'm modelling some cushions for furniture, and I wondered if anyone knows a quick way to add a little bit of noise (like bunching/wrinkling in the corners) into the geometry so that they don't look quite so uniform and perfect. I've tried doing it with the materials, but it's not quite the same effect.

I find that the freeform tool just ends up making stuff look lumpy, since the curves are so flowing (though I have very little practice using it, so it might still end up being my best bet).

I figured it out, using the freeform tool. I needed to create wedge shaped splitlines coming out from the corners so that the freeform tool would orient the curve sections properly. Then I made sure that the outer edges were curvature continuous and the inner edge was movable, and then it was just a matter of alternately raising and lowering the control points until it looked okay. The cloth map does a lot to obscure the detail, but the wrinkles definitely help with the realism, I think.

post-6173-1183063294.jpg

Guest Carbon

This is completely off the subject, but I noticed in your render that the fabric texture produces moiré pattern.

I've had this problem myself on a couple of occasions.

Why does this happen?

Is there a way to avoid it?

Guest speckofdustin
This is completely off the subject, but I noticed in your render that the fabric texture produces moiré pattern.

I've had this problem myself on a couple of occasions.

Why does this happen?

Is there a way to avoid it?

The Moire pattern is being caused by details in the texture that are too small to render properly. Higher anti-aliasing settings might be able to reduce/eliminate it. If Photoworks gives you access to mental ray's filter types (Mitchell, Lanczos, Gaussian, etc), some of those settings might help reduce it. You can also render at a higher resolution or decrease the detail in the original texture map.

Like Carbon, I am sorry for hijacking the thread.