Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest good luck

Your favorite designer(s)

Guest good luck

I have a question for all designers here: who do you think is the greatest designer? The reason could be they contributed to society economically, etc. Hope all of you will give your opinions. =)

Guest abhinav

Hi,

My all time favorite designer is Buckminster fuller. He was the man much ahead of his time. I admire his attempts to anticipate and solve problems with "more and more life support for everybody, with less and less resources."

Amongst the contemporary ones, I like Mark Newson very much. Being one of the most influential designers today, he worked across a wide range of disciplines, with a tremendous form sense.

Abhinav

I have no idea... to be honest I don't really have any books around of modern designers, you could call me a culture barbarian, but I don't have a clue of who most successful designers of today are and I don't really care either. Sure I look at other designer concepts and such, but often I just don't bother trying to look up who did the design.. I don't care much for the designer as rock and roll star status thing.. I believe more that individual objects and combinations between the strangest things can be more inspiring than work from other designers in some ways.

Guest abhinav

I agree that analysing designs surely is inspiring and help u updating ur skills. but it has manyfold advantages if you try to capture the style of the perticular designer. In the identity crisis of industrial design, u have to have a distinguished style to come over others.

Looking at other designers work helps u observing the styles they have and gives direction to make your own, creating your own identity.

abhinav

Guest desagree

i agree to Renzu since i do look at other works but not at other names. occasionally it happens that i remember one or that i`m so impressed that i want to know whom the work is from.

in my personal world there are a few that belong to some kind of "elite" starting from da vinci, goya (...) over loewy, rams, gray and gandini to starck and gricic(...)

but again- "the name of the artist is the smallest thing on a picture"

:)

I am with abhinav =]

Idol designers offer alot to learn and inspire from.

They are older, wiser, more experience. They have spend their whole life designing. To be vaguely exact, that is 40 years or 14 610 days or 350 604 hours. To think you might be going down the same road, you could learn a thing or two. Designers spend there whole life to find a direction and goal in their work, whether it would be sustainability, sexuality, style, culture values that is utilized in their design.

To think that you could learn about this in a few days searching through the net, reading a few books, learning about a life-long work in a fews days would be atleast worth t he time you spent on it.

Where as just aimlessly live through your life down the road, and find a special area focus of style, idea or what ever, spending like all your life, and you found out that someone already did the same thing. Wouldn't it a big waste of time? by just studying history abit now and there, you could innovate, truely evolve with time...blabla lol hmm nvm

Yea, sleep time zZ.

Guest Xriry

I have many favorites, thus i dont think that it would be fair to say who i think the best is. Every designer has something different to bring to the table, so i think that you have to look at a designers work and see what really speaks to you.

I really like Antoni Gaudi. I'm a big fan of the art nouveau style, probably because it is most unlike my style.

Guest feesta

For along time I had no favorite designer. I'm not big on having favorites. A few years ago I was doing a lot of furniture design and at the same time had a modular building project. I was referred to Jean Prouve and have been quite fond of most of his work. Efficient use of materials was a major force in his designs which is a value I hold.

Guest nonex.nl

Sometime even a very unknown architect can be very inspiring: for example Wiel Arets, he makes nice buildings, but this coffee and tea set is very nice!

main_Arets51.jpg

Design in the same range:

UN studio, also coffee and tea set:

12.jpg

Both dutch, very different, but also very inspiring.

Guest bobvanvliet

My favourite designer is the anonymous one.

I think product design should be about creating products that people need, can use, and can afford; it shouldn't be about making pretty things with your name one them. I believe that's called art.

Btw: Sorry for the blunt phrasing, just my 2 cents. :)

Guest good luck

thanks for all of your replies =) so let me ask you guys another question. how do you guys want your own design to contribute to the world?

Guest Allblacks
My favourite designer is the anonymous one.

I think product design should be about creating products that people need, can use, and can afford; it shouldn't be about making pretty things with your name one them. I believe that's called art.

Btw: Sorry for the blunt phrasing, just my 2 cents. :(

I knew a American guy, he called himself an inventor. He create quite a lot of product in houseware industry. You will see his face on all his product's packaging and also in TV promotion. I don't have any technics in product design... just making some simple sketches and ask the product designer to make him some nice renderings.

The way you designing your product with consideration of the function, form, cost, technology and etc........ is an ART. I think that product design is complicated process. The most important is the original idea... it is the soul of design.

Guest bobvanvliet
The way you designing your product with consideration of the function, form, cost, technology and etc........ is an ART. I think that product design is complicated process.

If industrial design (engineering) is an art, then so is running a country or designing a chemical plant. For that you also need to take into account a myriad of factors. I'm not saying that someone can't be talented in making good functional products look good to boot (and that it's hard), but it's the same type of talent a brilliant physician has.

I think the ancient Greeks had it figured out right: They had one word for craftsmen and artists. They viewed painting vases or sculpting statues as crafts, just like building a house or baking bread for that matter. I think I agree with them.

The most important is the original idea... it is the soul of design

I believe the most important thing in design should always be the value of the product for the consumer. A designer should cater to the consumer, not to his own notion of a 'cool' idea.

p.s. How do you get the poster and post time in the title of a quote? :(

Guest demha

my favourite designers are...

Charles Mackintosh

Philip Starck

Memphis design group

Ralph Gilles

J Mays

Luc Donckerwolke

Guest Marra

Whoever designed the following:

Fire

The wheel

Sliced Bread

The Internet

A lot of designers I aspire to and am very much influenced by are not these people though. Many of the designers I love are slowly beginning to bring the makers/skilled workers back into the meaning of the design and crediting them for it.

When for a while it was simply just about the designer.

Do many people know the other half of Rennie Mackintosh? I know there is one, or it may be two? But due to the neglect of these people I just cant remember them.