Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mr.sorbet

Wheely Bins

Guest mr.sorbet

Hi all, this is my first submission so bear with me.

I'm a student about to start my A2 level course and have been thinking about products to design. We have a completely free lease which of course makes things even harder, but i have decided i would like to do something around wheely bins.

My original idea was based on the new government initiatives to have a 2 week turn around on rubbish and also that the public may have to pay for their rubbish. The amount they pay would be based on the amount their rubbish weighed. I thought maybe there is a product here, firstly i thought people might want to be able to keep track of how much their wheely bin weighed, without having to take out some scales. So i was thinking about a bin with inbuilt scales and LCD screen to inform people how much their bin weighed.

I'm still considering the above as a possibility but i have had more ideas that could be better. I also realised as will have many other people that if we are paying for our rubbish, some people will start fly-tipping into other peoples bins. Obviously we don't want to have to pay for other people's rubbish so i thought maybe bins could do with a locking mechanism. Again i thought you could simply modify an existing bin, adding a locking device controlled via remoted control that could attach to your keyring. The device could be bought from the wheely bin company that keep a register of the code and serial number of your bin. So that when the bin men come round their cart could have a scanner which recognises your serial number and sends the appropriate code to open the bin.

I then talked with my mum and realised possibly a more obvious problem that needs solving, which could be combined with either or both of the above. People conbstantly take out large items to put in their bin, we all know bins can get extremely dirty and nobody really wants to be coming into close contact with them apart from cleaners. So i thought maybe you could have a simple mechanism to open up the lid, like a lever you step on, similar to that in small kitchen bins.

love to hear anyone's thoughts on these ideas, whether you think they are good and worth attempting, need developing, moving in the right direction.

Cheers

Just keep them ideas coming, the more ideas you have, the more thorough or healthy your project is. The other hard part is to select the best idea. Usually I would select concepts based on these criterias; originality, functionality, ergonomic, marketability, manufacturing...similar to those from design competitions. But you should give it some thought as well since these wheely bins are not necessarily commecial product rather tools that actually improving human living.