Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kw22cc

Industrial/product Design Career Inquiry

Guest kw22cc

hey guys.

this might sound like a dumb question, but im at a stage where im trying to choose my career. im interested in industrial design and would like to know more about it.

so my question is, what are the various products that you can design in a industrial/product design career? i know a number of products you could desing in the career but i also know that there are much more others that im not aware of. it'd be great if you could share you knowledge with me.

cheers.

Guest Nathan

The short answer is anything that is not real estate that is made and sold in volume.

The long answer involves categorization into specialties (Furniture, Transportation, Environments, POS Displays, Systems, Consumer Products, etc.) materials (plastics, fibers, metals, multi-, etc.) processes (molding, extrusion, assembly, machining, etc.) and markets (mass, niche, artistic, general systems, conceptual, etc.)

Look around some of the discussions in the archives and see what some of the people here have designed and you'll get a fair idea of what falls under the very broad umbrella of Product Design.

Good Luck

Guest miuse

i think we should remove the labels: "industrial designer" "furniture designer" "architect" "Graphic design" etc.

we are "designers" ... "designers of things"

it may happen that you prefer to design chairs than cars, buildings over user interface, but ultimately it is a way of thinking - creative - not a label. studying design teaches (should!) how to view a "problem" not just a "product" in many different ways. How we assess not just its physical form, but also assess effects social, environmental, political, etc, impacts. as a designer you learn to "think out side the box", most people dont know how. You can use these skills to solve a variety of problems; many of my ID friends have broken away from the "pigeon hole" and gone into advertising, marketing , graphics, interior, business management, artisan, television, publishing and more.

take those skills and apply it to what you love doing, your going to come out on top no problem.

thats my $1.05 anyway.

mitch

I find my career as an automotive designer very interesting. I am currently a truck designer for Scania trucks in sweden. Big products!! The thing i enjoy about the career is that it gives the opportunity to design a wide range of different things. Headlamps, seat, keys, steering wheels, entire interiors, entire exteriors, wing mirrors, in vehicle telephones etc. etc. You can see a little of the techniques used (at least for entire exterior and interior design) at www.designertechniques.com