Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Julian S

3d Space Navigator

Guest Julian S

HI there,

I just received a 3D space navigator from 3D connexion. I haven't used one before and I am trying to work it out if they are more efficent than just using the mouse. Does any one use one and what for? what are the advantages and dis advantages of them if any?

And how do you use them in conjunction with the mouse.

thanks

Julian

Guest davegus

Hi all-

I've been using 3D-Connexion 3D controllers at work for about a year now, and I'm practically ready to write them a love letter, or a set of sonnets, or something. They're wonderful, indispensable things for 3D work - at least for the CAD design I've been doing in ProE, and I assume they're equally effective with ID software.

That said, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, give it some time - there's definitely a learning curve to using these things, so stick to it. It may take 15 hours or so of use to get the hang of it, and at first, it can be very frustrating when you just want to tweak a viewing angle and the part goes flying off the screen to god-knows-where. Second, make sure you tweak the sensitivity to where you like it - newer users will want it less sensitive, power users want more.

The reward for all this will be almost telepathic control of your 3D environment - your hand and the controller cease to exist, and you become one with your CAD. (Ommm...) It's really something. Have fun!

-Dave

www.davegustafson.com (personal site)

www.unpressablebuttons.com (my product design blog!)

Just a short comment...after learning to use one at my first place of employment...I can't live without it...makes things so much more easier and quicker...efficiency rises thru the roof!

Guest Julian S

Thanks people. Already i am starting to get use to it.

Julian