Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest design_addict84

New Logo For London 2012 Olympics

Having briefly looked at the 2012 olympics logo on the news i was slightly confusd to start with, because when i saw it i was in a bank and the sound was off and all i saw this grffiti type logo?!

its quite intuative i think in my opinion because it requires the individual to decifer the logo and thats the great thing about it. you have to put your mind into action before you can see exactly what it means. yes i agree with many in this forum that its not my cup of tea, but i feel that its serves its purpose but also creates an element of fun.

apparently it also has an impact on epelepsy sufferers which is why it ceased to exist on the net? am not too sure though, anyone heard of this?

if the logo was part of a huge PR campaign then it would have to have been straight to the point in order to sell products ect. but its not, its about recognising that the olympics are being hosted in the UK, and it takes away the corprate side of things away!

anyone agree/ disagree?

Guest Hazdaz

For those that don't like it, I think they have to take a step back and realize what a logo is supposed to do - remind people of a certain event or product.

The fact that this logo has gotten soooo much press means that it is doing exact what it should be doing, and that is promoting the 2012 Olympics. I will admit that I am not a huge fan of the way it looks, but it is definitely distinctive. I liken it to someone's signature - You can't make out the individual letters of many people's signature, but the scribble represents that person none the less.

How's that old saying go - "bad press is better than no press at all".

Guest Bucyrus

I agree that bad press is better than no press at all, but good press is better than bad press. I think it is quite possible that the logo will end up getting a lot of press, but nevertheless, not be as successful as it could have been. Most of the objections are based on the way it looks, but the look also has meaning, and if you study the promotional rationale and hype about the brand, you can see the meaning and how it fits with the look. When I look at the logo, I see that meaning, and to me, it is like fingernails on a blackboard.

The brand is on a mission to remedy the assumption that the Olympics have failed to be inclusive, and thus are responsible for the unfair victimization of a class of people who do not participate. It attempts to right that wrong by dumbing down and reaching out in a condescending manner to that excluded class in a so-called “language that they understand.” The reason for the graffiti look is to speak that language.

Part of what annoys me about graffiti is that it has a following of apologizers who label it as art while blaming the vandalism aspect on the rest of society. People who design a logo to look like graffiti so it can reach out to young people and speak their language, strike me as likely to be in that camp of graffiti apologists.

The promoters of the logo contend that, in order to reach the excluded class, the logo needs to appear to be in motion, and it needs to be able to mesh with the media that the excluded class understands, and these objectives justify the design. This logo may meet those two goals, but a wide variety of alternate designs would meet them as well. Design can imply many varieties of motion. In order to reach out to the excluded, this logo implies a very distressing, chaotic, jangling motion; so much so that it has already been accused of causing epileptic seizures in its viewers. The logo could just as well have been designed to imply the motion of power, order, and competition.

I think the logo and its brand conflict with the spirit of the Olympics. The Olympics ought to stand for competition and the pursuit of excellence. This logo and brand, however, seems to stand for a patronizing collection of values that might just as well include the idea that competition itself is offensive to the disenfranchised lost generation.

Guest MinimalD

I saw this a while ago and i think it is horrible. It looks like it belongs at the begining of a Saved By The Bell episode. it is as desirable as Screech is in Hollywood. I think the color scheme is classic and so is the layout.

i know trends usually come around a second time.

here's to hoping its ahead of its time!

Guest cholden

If this is supposed to appeal to the younger people of Britain and get them interested in the olympics with this logo then the designers have got their blinkers on. By saying that Graffiti is the language of a sector that the olympics doesn't appeal to is a complete contradiction and patronizing to who ever this, if its teenagers then the majority of graffiti is written badly with a spray can or in pen on a wall saying 'I waz ere' the other graffiti is mostly satirical and anti establishment. If you want to make the Olympics appealing to younger people make sport accessable to young people subsidies, encouragement and discounts for young people for sports equipment. I think in a country where its cheaper to go out on the drink than it is to play a football I think addressing these issues is extrmely important. Urban graffiti on the whole is a result of bored and depressed kids finding something to do. Yes there is some cool artistic graffiti but that isn't produced on the whole by the people ho the Olympic commity are saying they are trying to reach. This new logo is just another publicity spin from people who pretend to be bothered if they really were bothered then they would be doing something about it in a constuctive way rather than spin and publisity stunts. I just wonder how much the tickets are going to be to watch the olympics and also the cost of travel within london at the time of the olympics and alos the cost of staying over night in london at the timeof the olympics? they are already using public money to fund this and I don't know about you but I don't think there will be a any significant subsidies for young people maybe 10percent of ticket prices and I can bet that the majority of seats for major events will be given out to sponsors, journalists and such for free, Maybe they will hand out 1000 tickets to under privaleged children to show they care but 1000 tickets is only one secondary school!. Call me cynical but prove me wrong! i've just turned 20 and yes I love to watch some of the events within the Olympics but unless I landa good job in the next few years I son't see how I'm gonna afford to watch any of the main events.

yes I know I've missed the point of this topic about discussing the logo's aesthetics and impact but I don't see the logo as an innovative approach by a country with problems such as adolescent obesity and addiction problems such as alcohol and hard drugs combined with the UK love of binge drinking. I would love to do more sport and yes I do binge drink but i'm not willing to except that 'It's just part of our culture'. Things need to be done and the Olympics is a great chance for that but when money is wasted on logos which get bad publicity, becasue they are trying to be edgy, I've seen a bigger edge on my blunt pencil.

Rant over lol. I think about 3 lines made sense but you get the jist of it i don't think the logo is that good.

Guest Tall Jewish Guy

I find it like one of those ink blot tests invented by Hermann Rorschach.

Its appeal is in its ambiguity. I do believe that it was studied intensively with textbook colour and composition research, and I like that comment that someone made that you don't feel the corporate aspect of the games when you look at it, which will definetly appeal to most citizens who look at the games as something fun. On the other hand, its hard to convince the potential corporate sponsors that the London organizers are serious when they have this as a logo.

Most importantly, it willl only take 20 seconds for every pubescent teenager to see the sexual interpretation of the design [or ink blot whichever definition suits you].

Guest poindexter

Ya

I have to agree, it's pretty terrible. Ill be interested to see what sort of multi-media integration (as quoted from a news report) ties into this.

Some other interesting news report quotes"

"When people see the new brand, we want them to be inspired to make a positive change in their life." Tony Blair

"It will define the venues we build and the Games we hold..." Seb Coe

Can't wait to see those buildings.

With this said, I think it's fair to say that most olympic logos have been getting progressively worse over the years. I am from Toronto and really can't bear to look at the Vancouver Olympics logo. It's sterotypical and cheesey. With that said, at least it beats the piss out of the Lonodon one.

Have a look at this site, some interesting commentary here

http://www.mbwebdesign.co.uk/blog/olympic-...sers-take-note/