Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest design_addict84

New Logo For London 2012 Olympics

Guest design_addict84

Well, what can I say about this logo, I'm pretty much speechless, what have they done? And to think someone has been paid to design this logo. I'm no graphic designer but a product designer and I reckon i could design something 10 times better as with everyone on this forum!

It doesnt even represent anything to do with the olympics, nothing to do with London? Its like someone just came up with this idea within 20mins with paint, wack in the London and Olympics symbol.

The colours, why pink and yellow? The worst combo ever. What the hell is the dot in the middle about?

Left out the original Colours of the Olympic symbol, turned it all white. The font looks like its in comic sans.lol.

They should have opened up a competition for everyone to design the logo for the London Olympics. It would of been alot more cheaper for them!

Have a look at it yourself and compare the one with Beijing 2008, well no contest really.

London is going to be a laughing stock if they stick that pile of rubbish logo! I feel it is an embarrassment and portrays our country in the worst possible way.

The original London 2012 Logo was better by far. We need a new logo now, or at least a return to the old one!

Rant over :)

What do you guys think of it?

Teck

www.tecksoh.com visit my site!

post-6485-1180995119.gif

post-6485-1180995137.gif

Guest mylesmontgomerydesign

after seeing the news this morning and having a good look. I dont think you can take this logo at face value. It is part of a very deep advertising initiative to market and promote the olympics through the internet.

I'm not too sure where i stand on the logo and promotion. I feel the whole flouro thing expired a year or so ago and you have to also think that this is designed for the 2012 olympics and how it will date over the next 5 years.

any idea who did the work?

Guest sketch

Wolff Olins - it cost around £400,000 (C$841, 775)

Its meant to reflect a graffiti style, which is going to plastered all over london's concrete buildings

Its definately unique in its approach and has caused some notice obviously. The graffiti is a different way of writing 2012...from a marketing point of view, it is bright, catchy and could be placed on numerous objects, probably got their ideas from the Black Eyed Peas (where is the love?) and Bon Jovi (Have a nice day) with their symbolic postings everywhere in their film clips.

Guest barefootcreative

Somebody on digg referred to it as Lisa Simpson preforming a dubious sexual act.

Y'see... what I don't understand is why focus it on 2012? I know it's the end of the world in the Mayan Calendar, but it should be celebrating that the UK actually has the Olympics for a change.

A celebration of sport and the UK.

Not a celebration of sport and a year.

my £0.02.

I couldn't see what Z block R had to do with the olympics and why did they choose that idea? Then it was explained that it was just an extremely poor representation of 2012 by a bad designer then I still wondered why did they choose that idea?

Apparently some of the web animations had to be removed from the websites because they caused epileptic seizures. Yeah it is a very strange logo. A little jarring for me- Do the Olympics really need street cred?

Guest clark

it's actually growing on me, at first i thought it was atrocious but i just looked at it again and actually i quite like it- stands out from the Previous Logos

still...I think we all could have come up with something better if you'd payed us £400,000 :D

Guest design_addict84

So it seems like they will keep the logo and wont completely change the logo, it will "evolve" we still have some hope. They've spent £400k (tax payer's money, what a waste) so it was certain they werent going to change it due to the amount of stick they would get if they did.

Teck

www.tecksoh.com

You know I hate to say it, but I always kind of laugh at things like this. It's so bad that you'll never forget it, and maybe thats the point?

It's like terrible TV advertisements, some of them make zero sense, have nothing to do with the product, but they stick in your brain like a splinter.

Either way I've never cared about the olympics, so I care even less about their logo.