Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Naomi

3DS Max render plastic effect

Guest Naomi

:unsure: Hi Im trying to render an injection moulded magazine rack with a light spark finish. Has anyone got any suggestions of how to make this work and look good?

The rack at the minute Ive done in a wood finish as everything else looks horrid. Take a look at http://www.naomidean.co.uk. Magazine rack.

Reply to naomijdean@yahoo.com

thank naomi.

Can you show us an example photo of the look you want to achieve?

Something like this you mean?

br_200410_fotowedstrijd.jpg

Guest retrokitsch

like that? casquefinaldof6po.jpg

global illumination and environment map (cinema 4d)

sorry for double posting

well to be honest I disagree there.. sometimes hdri can be nice, but often the reflections are too distracting. I sometimes heavily blur a hdri image to get rid of that effect, but this can give the effect of a matte material in the render.

Whitecards usually work best, but with flat surface objects it is always tricky to setup good reflections because they reflect like a flat mirror and don't really let the reflections flow over the object.

GI is nice, but sometimes unnecessary. In my opinion it works best with objects with many cravices and surface protrusions.. so your magazine stand could be a nice object for GI.

The shaders should do the most of the work.. you can have good lighting and reflections but if the shader looks off it will just look like you're using a different material than what you want.

Guest ScD

Use a bump map with either a noise modifier scaled way down, or an image created in Photoshop. Play with the strength of the bump, scale of the noise, and the blur & offset to get it right.

Renzsu is right about blur. One of the effects of a spark finish is to break up any reflections you may see. Find a nice sparked or blasted alloy product to use as a reference.

Guest pyrro7

1.u need a good lighting

2. u have to simulate reflections:

a) THE EASY WAY : u can use a Bitmap on the "Reflection" map ( any image u like!!!) and choose a type of the bitmap projection ( cylindrical, sferical..etc)

THE "Advanced" WAY: u can use a "Raytrace" map on the Reflection map but u must have a more complex 3d environment arround the plastic object ( environment that will be reflected)

3. u must give to the object "plastic" properties (Specular & Glosiness) and to assign a Shader ( Phong or Multi_layer)

GOOD LUCK !!!!

PS.

the HDRI way is the fastest and efiecent way !!!

post-23-1105713560.jpg

Guest ScD

pyrro7, I'm not sure you realise Naomi wants to simulate a spark erroded surface finish. I think she want something like this:

post-23-1105761181.jpg

I still don't have any idea what Naomi is looking for, she hasn't replied so far :D Noami, care to reply and help us out of our misery here? :)