Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest petermar66

Your Rights To Have A Folio

Guest petermar66

Does a Product Designer have any rights to compile a folio of work from his employer without permission?

Also, where can he show that folio?

Guest sketch

Interesting question - I've always wondered about this too.

I think the short answer is - depends on your contract you signed.

I did some freelance work a few weeks back, and the designers involved were told that any work carried out on the project belonged to the company, even if it was in our on spare time. - We had sign our intellectual property over to company, and we were not allowed to carry forth the project once completed.

Folio side of things, we had to wait for a written consent so that we were allowed to show are work to other potential employers - as we signed a contract outlining this procedure.

Don't know how it works for full-time peeps - but it would be nice to know

From a full-time work position, I had to sign a confidentiality contract for my first job out of uni. We undertook projects for outside businesses, so what was undertaken in house stayed in house unless we had permission off the business to display the work on the company website etc...

In my new position, I work for a company that puts out the end product.....and I had to sign a confidentiality paper as well before I commenced that position, so most businesses hold you to it..but I guess depending on the relationship you have with the business and your notion to put forward in righting to include some of their work in your folio, would be the only way to approach it, though obviously they could question, why you would want to do that, unless you were looking for another job...but in my case...im setting up a freelance business which does not run parallel to the companies industry area, so could persuade them on this basis...but it is a touchy and quite legal area that you should be careful with. My previous employer put images up on the website that they did not have permission for and within 2 days, the company the work was done for contacted my previous employer to have the images removed asap.