Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest riege_st

Phone Concept

Guest riege_st

hi everyone - my first post here

i would like you to critic my work, which i have attached

its design is simple, i'm trying to get the phone alive through the interface(which isn't done yet)

the "white" parts should be glass and the black strip is where the controlls are(touch sensitive)

thx in advance

post-12726-1179768296.jpg

I think you need to do something more to explain whats going on in those sketches.

If you didn't tell me it was a phone I'd think you drew a car spoiler, a lamp (whatever that red thing is), and a glass blender. You need more than just some forms to communicate an idea like that. Put in some hands holding it, show someone holding it next to their ear, put in text and some buttons. Even if you have a strictly touch screen interface you'll still need at least a few buttons on it. Pencil in an interface or at least something that represents that its a screen, because right now it just looks like a glass object, and the red thing just looks like a colored object. It has no sense of dimension, shading, or shape.

Guest edm

Nice. I like that really loose feel to your sketches. Also, check around on the forum and you'll find some examples of good perspective. Keep sketchin..

Guest mylesmontgomerydesign

beautiful. the flow and lines really speak to me.deep!

Guest dogma911
beautiful. the flow and lines really speak to me.deep!

Are you being serious?

I agree with Cyberdemon - it looks nothing like a phone to me. There is nothing there to suggest it is. You could also show some of the interface on screen, rather than drawing what looks like glass. Rough and skethchy drawings are fine, but you should show how to interact with it, and annotate parts too.

The red thing looks like nothing else on the page, looks completely out of place without an explanation.

Guest mylesmontgomerydesign

sarcasm is the lowest of form of wit! you've gotta nurture the 6 year old's talent!

Guest riege_st

a thank you for the ones that took it serious

i totally got what you want me to aim at, and i'll post some stuff of this project again as soon as i'm sadisfied with the outcome

concerning the red thingy - i just wanted to show reflections on the surface of the phone, anyways i'll try this again when i'm more skilled

Guest MikeShinoda

well , it`s just about surface,no more details,I think you better get it to funtions,more funtions,less decorations.

Guest riege_st

i decided to do some kind of storyboard to show how the interface should work

its the first time i do something like this

i hope it communicates the idea behind it

post-12726-1180199457.jpg

Guest riege_st

i did not how to include another pic, so i had to double post -sorry for that

post-12726-1180199708.jpg

Guest lclaxvp

Thanks for returning to post a storyboard showing off the interface. It speaks to me a lot better than the first post you had that only showed off a blank phone.

Anyways, I don't see how the phone comes "alive" (as you said in the first post) with the interface. It looks pretty standard to me. It has dialing functions, a music player, I presume it has games as most phones do these days but where is the innovation through the phone? I presume it is able to bend through your posts but that seems to be the only thing out of the norm.

Good luck!

Justin

Guest riege_st

thx for the reply

em the phone shouldn't be able to bend, please tell me what made you think so

innovation is only on the software front and the way the display reacts

i wanted to creat a simple phone, that doesn't need alot to communicate with the user

its just two see thru glass panels(with transperent OLEDisplays) on one panel the main screen and on the second on the controlls - on top of the phone, there are two cameras mounted, they constantly record the eye movment to creat a 3D illusion on screen - but i don't know how to sketch this idea