Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jada

which marker to choose

Guest jada

Hi. I have a question about which markers to choose. At the momemt I'm using Letraset Tria (with the pantone colour system). These are however quit expensive. My local store also have cheaper Letrasets without pantone and the third thin nib, but they don't come in that many colours.

Now I'm thinking about ordering Copics markers online. They cost about a third of the Letrasets (an important thing for a student), come in a wide rannge of colours (not Pantone, but so far I have never felt the need to know that I'm using Pantones blue #whatever), they have a square body = don't roll off my desk all the time.

Have anyone any experiences with the to brands? Any pros&sons when actualy drawing with them. I will have to order a few to try them anyway, but any feedback would be nice.

I use both Copics and Tria's in my illustrations, cause the available colours are not the same for each brand..at least not in my local shops. In my experiences, the Copics blend slightly better than the Tria's...the Tria's will have overlap problems earlier than the Copics, when both are starting to dry up. Also the third nib of the Tria's is quite nonsense..personally i never use that nib, cause they don't work very well..too dry in most times. The positive thing of the Tria's is the Pantone colour system, especially for graphic designers. So, if you can buy the Copics for a lower price, then buy them.

Btw, the Copics smell better than the Tria's :D if you have a sensible nose...

Guest jada

Thanks for the response. I will definatly try the copics now.

Yeah, the third nib on the trias isn't that good anyway.

Guest «AD»

Well, I ....try working with copic ciaos, but I heard AD-markers are better cos they blend better and you don't see the trails...

AD markers are nice, but they never really fully dry (so I heard), so you have to be carefull not to smudge your drawings. What I also heard is that their greyscale tones are quite dark.

Something you might want to consider as well is that AD markers are not alcohol based but use a toxic solvent. This is no problem in well ventilated rooms, but not good if you're drawing hours after hours with the stuff.

Copics are nice, but they leave something of a texture in the colouring that is pretty noticable.. you have to like it or not, but Tria's don't have this problem.

Guest flow

ad AD Marker,

AD's blend very good, but you have to be be fast and precise, 'cause they bleed like hell, especially if u are used to copic.

on vellum they tend to smear when there's too much color on the paper.

for big areas they are great.

and you really have only two strokes, then they won't become darker anymore.

and u get addicted to the smell :)

my choice are AD

maybe copics are more universal and refillable too...

btw.

AD cool gray tends to greenblue

AD basic gray to green

AD warm gray is more dark brown to sepia mix

% have to make observations about the drying :)

Guest Zampik

Can you give me AD markers website? I dont know them. I'm using COPIC markers and they work really good.....

Guest christar

I use AD Markers but I'm interested by Copics, could you give me a website to find them ?

Guest jada

Sorry, don't know any online stores in Europe. I know there's a store in Oslo (Norway) that sell them for 24 NOK (2.9 Euro). I'm paying a little over 60 NOK for TRIAS right now, so the difference is big. The problem is that my friend who bought hers in Oslo, don't remember the stores name. Guess I'll just have to call stores and see who's got Copics and if they will send them to where I live, or order somewhere on the net. A store in Europe would of course be the best for me as well. So, if anyone could help on that...

Sorry, that's all I got.

Guest allard

If you still haven`t bought your markers, you should consider buying them at ebay.

i got lucky and found a brand new set (72markers) for only 120 euro`s.

just take a look...

And the copics are definitely up to the job, they`re refillable and you can also put in new tips if they get worn out. I use a lot of almost dead markers as well to create different effects. Try it.

Happy drawing! :lol:

Guest Mrlobel

Hey Jada

the information on the store in OSLO as follows

Sem & Stenersen Tegneteknisk AS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phone: + 47 23 35 48 40

Visit adress: Akersbakken 10 /12

0172 Oslo

Postadresse: Postboks 2650 St Hanshaugen

0131 Oslo

Norway