Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ChristophiaG

When you draw/render, do you 'Box out' objects?

Guest ChristophiaG

A technique that was suggested during my first few classes of "Intro to Industrial Design", I was told to "box out" objects when I put them on a page. Boxing out meaning: Drawing a cube that is in the right perspective you want, and looks proportionate, then drawing inside that cube the object you want to create.

I don't really do this (sometimes I will if it's a really boxy object like a pencil sharpener or something), and I was wondering if other people do this/does it have a greater effect on the outcome of the render?

Usually I start drawing a rectangle or some perspective groundlines as the base for the object, instead of drawing a whole box. From the rectangle, I construct the object. Works quite fine for me.

I think using this kind of technique helps making sketches look more confident.

Take a look at this perspective tutorial:

http://www.drawthrough.com/tutorials/index.html

Guest allard

I think if the perspective in the drawing is fine without using a box, you don`t need to draw a box first. It only helps you to keep the perpective right.

A box might be useful to try and find an interesting angle as well as to find an interesting page layout if you're going to have multiple sketches overlapping eachother.

Depending on the object of course I usually start with 3 axes and perhaps extend on of those axes as a plane of symmetry to use also for the middle section.. Sometimes a cube is more usefull though, if you have extreme perspective, the cube can be a good frame to construct your distorted shape in.. anyways, I really like the axis/plane method, Scott Robertson really explains this method nicely in his dvd's.

Actually a box alone never really helped me figure out what was going on. Until I learned that the center plane was more important to define the sections than the box itself, my sketches remained mysterious.

Guest DreaM

yeah , i agree... i wouldn't call it a "box"

i 'd prefer to say the "plane"

i think it depends on the object that you are drawing, and you abilities of course, but i always use the plane before i start , not to get out of the " box " :lol: