Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tom_j_owen

Wacom + Painter Tips

Guest tom_j_owen

ok. havent posted in a while. so i thought i would now!

i just got a new tablet and a version of painter. this is my first sketch (still tryng to get used to a tablet). i've been looking through the tut's trying to pick up the basics.

was just wondering if any of you have any tips. like how you go about doing a sketch (is it a case of colour and erase or do u mask?) ..how the hell you do textures and if theres anywhere i can download then, the best tools for a 'sketched' line and what settings its on. ...file sizes..etc...or any thing else you think is useful to you really.i know some of this is in the tutorails but i was wondering how the majority of you guys did things.

thanks for the input..might save me throwing my monitor out the window!

thanks again

Tom

post-1331-1179362527.jpg

My general steps working in painter&photoshop are:

1) scan a linework in photoshop and prepare it for color rendering in painter

2) load the retouched linework in painter and start coloring

3) use different layers for different colors

4) use different layers for shadows and lights

My steps are also shown in creating a bike illustration:

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.p...&hl=bicycle

Some comments on your sketch:

- Try to cleanup your linework. Make use of lineweight. Try to use photoshop paths to create lines if you're not confident with putting long strokes with your digital pen.

- Create more contrast for more depth. Light on the left and much darker on the right.

- Find textures with google :)

Nice try for the first time! Keep practising and keep looking at people's work to learn and get better.

Guest tom_j_owen

thanks for the reply..

waikit, just a couple of things. when you say tou 'prepare your linework' what exactly do you do?

and i totally agree with the 'using the line weight' comment. and im really struggling, not so much with the confidence (it supprising how quick you gt used to a new bit of kit) but with the settings. What tool do i use for a 'sketced line' and what settings will give me a good line?

i have been using an airbrush. about 1.5 px and like 43% oppacity..is that right it doesnt seem to look as graded as i wanted.

thanks for the help. really appreciate it.

tom

Tom, with 'prepare your linework' I mean that I need to clean it up with adjusting the contrast/levels in photoshop to create a clean black linework with a pure white background. Usually when you scan a linework on paper, you will get a greyish result on screen.

I define/sketchover my scanned 'linework on paper' with a black brush size 1.0 to 3.0 (lineweight differences) with 100% opacity. That works for me at least.

Here are some good painter tips from Parel:

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.p...22&hl=brush

Guest tom_j_owen

waikit...that was exactly what i was looking for. thank you.

theres loads of tuts about how to shade etc..but i was finding it hard to setup my linework etc so the end result was weak. hopefully this will make the difference.

thanks again mate,

tom

Guest sketcher23

hey ive been using painter for about three years and I thought of some pointers that might come in handy. first off to get your pressure right got to edit/preferences/brush tracking, this is a pretty cool item in painter, if you just draw saw an elipse or some basic linework, painter will adjust its pressure sensitivity to the way you draw, i find this really handy if for some reason i cant get some good thick to thin lines goin on..for sketching lines i usually go back and forth between the airbrush fine tip soft, and i think the digital and detail brushes. Im guesing you already know about rotating the canvas, but also if you hold down ctrl and alt and drag with your brush you can adjust the brush size, i think this is a lot faster than photoshops way. Also if you think your brushes are coming out a little jagged you can change that within the brush creator under the spacing, and adjust the cubic interpolation and the damping, (i usualy have the cubic interpolation all the way up and damping at around 65%).....

also heres a good texture site.....mayang.com/textures/

Guest tom_j_owen

thanks sketcher23,

thats exactly the kind of thing i need to know. its stuff like that that you cant pick up off tutorails, and when your teaching yourself i guess you never you find out. the textures is the thing i have to sort out. Is there a way of painting a texture on..say for example if i wanted a cotton texture over a certain part of my drawing. could i use some sort of texture to make it look like materail and use a say airbrush or something to get it where i want it?

so ive used waitkit, sketcher23,scottieb and renzus help and just done this.

i sorted the lines i think..what next!!!

im really gratefull for all you help guys..i think i saved myself like 3 months!!!lol

Regards

Tom

post-1331-1179510496.jpg

I find if you're doing your linework digitally with a tablet (i.e. not based on a scanned sketch), then Alias Sketchbook Pro gets the best line quality of any of the programs I've used. The pencil tool in SBP is so sweet, just the right thick-to-thin and light-to-dark balancing for nicely accented line weight.

I need to get myself some pointers in Painter, myself. I just eBayed a Satellite R15 Tablet PC and looking forward to really improving my sketching.

Guest tom_j_owen

your right. psp 2 is great at line work. really nice graded strokes.