Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest papicas

What are you willing to do to succeed?

Guest papicas

:D Hi everybody!

This is going to be a long one because today I found a web site that I still don't know if I admire the concept or simply abhor it.

At http://www.ora-ito.com you will see a company with a list of clients that leaves many of us green with envy, or really wanting to work there. Very good web site, 3D concepts, quite good ideas, and again, a multinational client folder.

Searching the web for more information on the company, here's the big news: the company does exist, it's run by a 25 year old, and he never in his live had these people for clients. His great achievement is to have had the guts to use comercial and worldwide famous brands to promote his work without being afraid to be prossecuted by these companys.

End of story: this guy is a big smash currently in France, the companys who's names he used have links on their websites to his work and he became famous in a 3 year time because of his daring attitude.

My question is: how far are you willing to go to promote your work? This guy obviously lied, because nowhere on his site you will read that these are projects intended but not asked for by the brands, and I really believed for a while that this was a real company with real clients. I've already done projects intended for a certain company. If they didn't want it, can I say they are my clients?

I realise that my work will be better accepted when I get big clients. Can I make them up? Can I use them? If I do, why shouldn't they use me?

haha I guess there is no justice.

I would beleive when the truth is out, the truth of his incompetence will lead to a BOOT IN THE ASS.

Yeah he promoted himself pretty well, but he also promoted of his name as a BLOW-ASS when people find out, soon every one will know, every business will know about this guy.

A shorcut that lead to the end...of his design career? heh

btw, the link does not work.

This happens all the time.. not a smart way to travel if you want to be taken seriously, especially considering this guy is 25, an age where he should know better.

If I want to put stuff in my portfolio intended for a certain client, who rejected it, well I would just say that. It's probably best though to not have only works in your portfolio that have been rejected.. that would probably just give your potential employer the wrong signals.

Guest papicas

Sorry about the wrong link guys. My mistake...

Its http://www.ora-ito.com

As for what you were saying, Bow, this guy surelly knew what he was doing, and he is being rewarded for his courage :D

The whole business knows about it and thats how he got the recognition, even if probably they believed it was true as much as I did.

Guest desagree

awesome portfolio, anyway... :D

+ some really cool concepts!

i personally don`t see a big problem concerning his way of self-promotion- as long as he is not copying/stealing it`s ok for me.

his formal intentions strongly tend to express a certain CI; the feeling of beauty and "well done" most often comes from recognizing the brand - therefor it seems nearly obvious to choose this way of presentation, isn`t it?

ohhh.... now I get it... I thought he put products in his portfolio that he didn't design at all.. misunderstanding!!

Well, I see no problems with his way of self promotion, there's tons of projects at design uni's that are targeted towards certain brands without there being an actual connection to this brand. As long as this is clear then I see no problem at all with this (showing you have it in you to be able to design for various different corporations and their formal language..)

hmmm...but the fact that he calls them clients is not right. I would love to parade around finctitious clients to get me a few extra freelance jobs

Guest nonex.nl

I've seen this site before and was immediately amazed not to know his name though he had worked for alle these major companies, but know I realize how it works. I simply can't understand why he put all this effort in all these products and wasted his obvious tlalent with not-real clients.

I think his strategy won't work for the long term. Doing busniness simply does not only rely on people selecting you from an internetsite, but more with having connections and satisfied clients who pass on the qualities of your company.

I suppose only smaller companies will be attracted to his strategy: they will love the feeling to have the same designer as all those big brands! Ofcourse :D , we all would love to have those big names on our client list. I try to spot as many design competitons as possible and make a good selection for what kind of companies I do design competitions. Companies who do have a (for me) relevant design question in their competition briefing are selected to do competitions for, and I referr to this design question they out up in my project descriptions. (something like: the requirements to this design were put by company X as following....).

This is the furtest I'll go in calling a company a client: I've done a competition for them, they receveid and looked at my work, and they had a question for the design. I did something for them, they do something for me: sitting in my portfolio. ;)

Guest desagree

yes, true - he shouldn`t write "clients". for one moment i thought of a "communication problem"- i think he`s a french guy and maybe he did choose the wrong vocable. but he is simply too professional for that kind of mistake-

btw. wasn`t there an article abput him in one of the last issues of designreport? i think i saw his gucci house in there...

Guest papicas

For me the big question is that if this guy feels and seems free to use top brands to promote himself. brands that never gave him authorization to use their name and with whom he probably had as much contact as I did(magazines, tv), if you promote yourself using them, why shouldn't they feel free to promote theyr visions through designs that are not theirs, ideas they like but they never payed for.

You can say that in this case it would be plagiarism, but then again he did "steal" their reputation to his own profit.

I did think, when I first looked at it, that it was a clever way to promote yourself, but, ethically, where do you draw the line?

Guest desagree

there is a difference (to me): if the company uses your ideas it will be able to make real cash with them. in contrast to that if you use a logo/brand name the only benefit consits in better explaning of your formal expression(s). imagine f.e. cardesign without use of brandnames?! apart from that it becomes more and more important to be able to understand and develop a brand`s corporate/specific design.

But i agree with you that it has to be clearly communicated whether it is a real commercial project or an university/contest work.

ora ito is currently not only lying (disadvantageous attribute when you are in job search...) but will inevitably disappoint his next employer when he will have to admit that his works aren`t real products. he should take the time to fix this misunderstanding, since he`s really talented and in the end only a little changes/additional explanations are needed.

Guest nonex.nl

I took another look at his site, and it is really remarkable: he has so many ideas, high quality renderings and a really fantastic site. I simply don't understand why he would call them clients, if they aren't... it looks like all the designs are studies: you just see renderings, and no finished products. I even saw an advertisement he designed for his own product (button BIC). :D

Where does the information all these clients are made up come from? ;)

I also noticed the design behind the apple logo says: client: Ora Ito, Jalouse.

To return to the topic: how far would you go: i better example is the (also very good site and highly respected firm) kdlabwhich for example says: 'client: internal' when they show a study. They also explain what the study was about and what tools they developed with the study to facilitate the clients. It think this builds more trust to potential clients.

Guest matteodiangelo

Hi guys !

It is very interesting to read your comments about the way ORA-ÃÂTO promotes his work.

Being one of the company creator I would be glad to answer to your questions concerning ORA-ÃÂTO and his website. Feel free to ask !

Cheers !

Matteo di Angelo

matteo@ora-ito.com

Guest papicas

Hi Matteo!

Being the one that brought this theme up I must tell you that I really like your work, and that's probably why I feld so foolish when I knew that, the projects being indeed yours, the supposed clients never ordered you anything and, obviously, the briefings are made up.

My first reaction, when I knew what it was really about, was to be admirative. After all, we all develop projects with a certain client profile in mind, or even a real company, but not all of us get them to actually buy them! What better way to make your entry into the business than to promote yourself with notorious brands that in the end are more than willing to create desire, not only in consumers, but also in those that admire their work as professionals.

But then I thought: I fell for it!! I actually thought about sending you a proposal to integrate your design team!! Seriously. I was cheated on. Like probably most people that go into your web page. I only realised your promotion skills when, thinking about sending you my application, tried to find out a little bit more about who you were, as there was nothing on your web page.

The questions I ask myself, and the others on this forum, are mainly ethical.

How far can you go in getting recognition from your pairs and from your clients? As I said before, I am sure that the great majority of people that visit your web site are not aware that, even if the projects are very good - and thats why they/I fall for it - these people are not your clients.

If you use their name to promote yourself, why shouldn't they use yours, or someone else's to promote themselves? I could start a company, make my own drawings and put a Philippe Stark name on it. It's my project. I just cheated a little to get clients...

As for the big question: How did you think of promoting your work this way?

Do you get clients that truly believe that you work forGucci or Peugeot? What do you tell them?

Anyway, thanks for taking part on this discussion.