Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest krivo321

Really Need Some Input On My Work

Guest idealist

I liked your work and how you present it, it looks consistent.

and the renderings are awesome! congratulations

The website, as you use carbonmade platform, is pretty intuitive and simple.

The only concern, if any, would be the text,

In my opinion it should be more straight forward and separated into two blocs:

1 line with the important stuff + small paragraph.

it is important to define levels of information, and now, looking at your boards, the text looks too compact.

another little thing is that you should put a contact form in your site, sometimes copy/paste your e-mail might be "too" trouble for somebody...

hope this is helpful,

Guest design_addict84

Solid portfolio, Love the renderings esp the Sony PS2 remote that was the killer!

The boards work well, but my only crit would be the text box overlapping. I feel you should get rid of them. The first sentence should be straight to the point and in bold to attract the viewers.

Good stuff!

-------------------------

Teck

www.tecksoh.com

Guest krivo321

thanks for the comments. I will defanitly fix the text problem, some times its hard to explain something in one sentence. As for linking my e-mail address on carbonmade - it wont let me, eventually I hope to make a proper website. Do you guys think I should work a bit more on the sketches? When it comes to sketching I am a bit impatient as I never finish anything 100%.

As for the renderings, I use a program called Solidthinking, it has its own rendering engine built in.

stefan

Guest krivo321

I don't know what I am doing wrong but I keep getting declined for every position I apply for - I keep getting answeres like my portfolio is not up to standard or my skills are not what they are looking for. What am I doing wrong?

I could really use some help

thanks

Stefan

www.skrivo.com

Guest Spezz

I'm a student myself, so I don't know how helpful my comments will be.

The blender is a good idea, but looks too 60's for my taste.

The gaming console looks very dated and unergonomical, don't like the look of it at all actually, especially how the surfaces are joined together at the sides. (altho folding mechanism itself might be cool)

The headphones look unusual, but don't really float my boat.

The modular bathroom is the one I like the most, good job.

The spring role looks good, but the execution should look less mechanical and more child-friendly in my opnion. Also, once you would pick up some speed, your feet would be pushed away from the center andd you won't be able to reach the jump platforms (not necessarily a problem tho)

I don't know why you get rejected, perhaps you are applying at the wrong type of company compared too your specific skills (too much or not enough styling or functionality), or you're aming too high.

What companies have you applied for?

Guest krivo321

thanks for the reply, any opinions I can get is a big help, I am applying mainly for internships at small and medium consultancies here in Europe, I just don't seem to have much luck. I thought that maybe the sketching was a problem since it is not very visible, and I didn't put all that much.

I had done an updated version of the gaming console nothing 100 percent though:

post-9824-1181261142.jpg

Guest jose3

krivo321,

Your portfolio looks good to me but as you say you have been rejected I am going to try and put into the skin of an interviewer. Spezz did something like that too and I mainly agree but I have a couple more.

• Blender is a good idea but those glasses are not unexpressive stuff they must cost 100 $ each in real life -mainly because of the gear mechanism and complexity- and no pub owner yould like to loose one of those. They already pay the barman to beate.

• The portable gaming only tackles the idea of protection and transportation and there is a lot more to say about an entertainment activities that your product does not reflect yet. It is a very good starting point and there is a lot of design to be done.

• Wireless device. A similar case was discussed here. You product does not have the proper language and you are not using the right materials for such device.

• The bath is awsome. :)

• The spring role does not seem to be a universal game. Only kids of a certain height can get to grab there and if a small one does it could be dangerous. I cannot see if it spins or not. Semantics looks ok though.

Hope you can improve. You are in the right way I think that you shouldn't dismiss what you have done but give another turn.

Good luck.

Guest patywagon

I'm not sure maybe your thought process is something to work on.

The gaming device has already been done. In fact my past classmates did one for RIM (blackberry people).

As for the blender like the guy above said that's going to be expensive glasses plus normally you don't reuse the same glass when getting a new drink etc. Cleaning those out will be a bitch on the fly. Instead of putting glasses in those little steam cleaners they have. They also look big for cocktails. Some bars won't touch it cause of liability of having blades mechanisms in them. I highly think the wall mount would never get used.

Most bars the walls are filled with shelves of booze. It be more suitable to build it into the bar or something.

I'd say keep plugging away at the skills. But do your research. Did you talk to any bar tenders or club goers about this idea? In theory it could be a good idea but sometimes the end use will tell you straight up it would never fly.

What do you render with?

Guest krivo321

The idea with the blender was that it came with more than three glasses, in the full printed portfolio it shows this as well as mentioning that it is ideal for home use for parties, as well as catering. The mechanism isn't in the glass, just the blades that are connected to the mechanism that is located in the main unit. As for safety the blades are very small and at the bottom of the glass. The glasses are only about 15 centimeters tall if i remebeer correctly, its the unit that is small (makes the glasses look bigger.

The bluetooth headset is aimed at the female sector. Current bluetooth headsets have a very masculine design. The idea is to not look like you came out of some Star Trek movie. The idea was to mik jewelry into a bluetooth headset while still being functional, and actually manufacturable.

The console was originally designed to look retro un purpose, thats why I went with the commodor logo. Looking at it now I do regret going with the retro design it makes it feel a little like a novelty. As for the idea already existing, I was not aware of that and had not seen it specifically in the console market. I knew about this in the cell phone market (Nokia did have a phone that did this).

I apreciate all of your comments and patywagon I use a program called solidthinking to render and model. I do use rhino sometimes, but for personal use I like solidthinking because it was the first one that I learned at school, and one of the few that is available on the Mac.

Guest krivo321

At school we used it on Macs (first G4's then G5's on OS X), but at home I run it on my PC and the latest version works with Maxwell