Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest patywagon

Why Use Photoshop Over Illustrator?

Guest patywagon

Why render in photoshop over illustrator. Seems to be popular.

Is on easier to use or one vector over raster.

To me illustrator is a drawing program so why aren't people using this?

I saw one tutorial that had both but that's it.

Why use photoshop over painter as well? Can you make circles in painter?

Anyone's opinion will be appreciated.

thanks

Photoshop is more fluid/hand painterly. Illustrator is more like cut and paste, overlays, block colors. In ill, you can blend shapes together or use the gradient mesh tool for shading, etc but it's still very shape oriented. In psd, it's more like you're using an airbrush. You usually get the most realism from psd if you know what you're doing. ai gives you easier editing especially if others will also be working on the same file.

Guest mylesmontgomerydesign

as said by skinny, illustrator is a linework block color and blend tool program. I do use it a lot. but normally only use it to create tight linework and correct perspective before taking lines into photoshop as smart vectors. then they can remain as vectors in photoshop and retain their memory of line quality no matter the resolution. Photoshop is a great rendering tool that has many tricks. As for painter I have yet to give t a whirl for renderings

Guest patywagon

How do you create smart vectors? How do you import vector lines into photoshop?

Still I've seen the bike tutorials and i think it's easier in ill to do shapes. I've never done shapes in photoshop. I find it harder to create. Or once you do you cannot edit later.

I think it just needs the airbrush and photoshop would be eliminated. CS3 has an erase tool that may suffice for the airbrush.

How do you import vector lines into photoshop?

Copy and Paste.

Differences are Vector vs Pixel and all the pro's and con's that go along with each.

For me, the 2 programs have different applications. You can scale vectors with no loss of quality. You can separate silkscreen art using spot colors very easy. Type is rendered at a higher resolution. etc.

Photoshop is way better when you use a wacom pen. You can't really draw freehand in Illustrator like you can in PS.

There a a ton more things that are different.

I doubt the 2 programs will be merged any time soon.

Guest mylesmontgomerydesign

like I had said previously i use illustrator to create correct line work, weights, are make sure my desired perspective is accurate.

below is a line work construction made in illustrator. this was a task i undertook at uni to try and completly construct a product using a vector program then import to photoshop to render. this was done with freehand mx at the time but now i do the same processes in illustrator. ok j6studios says its hard to freehand sketch in illustrator, i personally only draw in background layers with a hairline weighted pencil to find the right shape before creating the final linework with the pen tool.

post-9091-1179457089.jpg

in illustrator you can differentiate between layer to import into photoshop to create the various parts. when importing to photoshop just select the desired linework, and copy. easy. when in photoshop paste and i would select to import as a smart vector. this means that even if you import into a photoshop document that is say72dpi you can change the image size to 300dpi and the linework will clean up accordingly. also all the smart vectors are directly editable by double clicking in the layer menu and will take you back into illustrator to edit. then get into your painting and texturing in PS.

This was the resulting rend

post-9091-1179457521.jpg

best of luck

Regards

MM