Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest IDTkid

Ring Design

Guest IDTkid

Here is a ring that I designed not too long ago and just recently modeled and rendered in vray. The plan is to have our school's ABS 3D printer prototype this for me and then Ill make a plaster mold of it and cast it in silver with our centrifuge. Just curious if you like the form/design?

post-5037-1177193524.jpg

From a strictly manufacturing point of view, unless you've got a very high-end 3D printer, it's not going to capture the detail very well, and it'll be extremely difficult to finish well (especially those tiny radii instead the holed-out section).

As far as the design goes, it's a nice rendering and the execution of your concept is okay, I'm just personally not a fan of design that's that literal. It feels too kitschy for me.

Are you making this for anyone in particular? Because a custom prototyped ring would be a hell of an engagement ring, regardless of the design.

Guest IDTkid

Thanks for the input! Now to answer some of your questions.

Our school has 2 3D printers, one prints in a form of plaster, the other ABS. The ABS printer is new to us, its a dimension brand 3D printer and I have a jar that was printed by it with walls that are 1/32 of an inch thick and i cant crack it with my hands so youd be surprised by the detail it can capture, ill be sure to post a picture of it when i get it printed out.

The ring is a project that im doing in my jewelry design class but it will be given to my girlfriend : )

Guest IDTkid

heres the 3D print, sorry for the blurry pic, its the best my 2mp cellphone could do :) details came out fine, next step make the silicone mold and inject it with wax, i guess i can keep pics comin if people are interested?

post-5037-1177370461.jpg

Guest mylesmontgomerydesign

nice work man. have you had to do any reworking over the abs or is it a really fine detail print?

Guest IDTkid

our abs printer is only good down to .001", our plaster 3D printer is even better than that however the head is currently clogged from no one using it and it costs $120 for a new head. It will need a little filler/glaze compound on it and some fine sanding and it will be perfect. The rest of class has been crudely carving theirs out of wax for the last 3 weeks haha, i laugh at their expense :x

Guest expansion

yeh really nice. so jeleous you have all that equipment you have at uni... we have to pay a few hundered $$ to get it done by a company :(

i like the design alot, but i think it would almost be nicer if you didnt have the cutouts. just having the hearts on the cross section of the ring seems like a really nice, subtle idea...

maybe?

good work tho

Guest ID Concept (World Wide)

IDTkid,

The Ring are nice, may I know will you have any other fashion accessories idea can share? Me and my friend are seeking designer to making up a brand. We looking for special "ID" designer item and will link up with our connection in China manufactory to make out the product. Please free feel to contact me by MSN: eric34869@hotmail.com and we can get you more detail about the project.. Thanks and have a nice day !

We are willing to make a own brand name product to sell world wide.

Eric

ID Concept

The rest of class has been crudely carving theirs out of wax for the last 3 weeks haha, i laugh at their expense :x

Hehe that's funny, but there's nothing wrong with going for what gives you the best result in the shortest amount of time :)

Guest dc_dizzle
aka steal your ideas and sell them.

LOL thats what it sounds like to me...its a scam bro! lol.... :ohno:

but on that note....ur plans on giving it to ur gf gave me an awesome idea about wat to get my gf for her upcoming bday...i dunno wat to get her so i guess il make it...regarding ur designs....looks really good dude...the detail cut outs look like they're a bit big and might compromise the integrity of the ring...but if you've already made it and it works then...it works hehe...

peace