Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
ragde

April 2007, 3d Modeling Challenge

Guest mcgreg

If that's your quick attempt, wouldn't mind seeing the real one!! :cheers:

Guest jamm

Thank you, I asume the model is symmetric which help for easy setup.

This forum is a great place. I learn a lot from here.

also i can't wait for ragde's tutor and for the mouse.

So far i didnt have any luck for quick and easy setup for the mouse.

I did fix up the model but still not look like the pic yet and wont try to render it anytime soon since it is a pain when not turn out rite (old comp)

Guest mcgreg

A few hours later...

post-7300-1178638185.jpg

All hail the "fill surface" command!!! :thumbsup: :(

The rendering is a bit dark :worried: , but I guarantee the surfaces are smooth! :whistle: :P

Guest Daan
A few hours later...

All hail the "fill surface" command!!! :thumbsup: :D

The rendering is a bit dark :worried: , but I guarantee the surfaces are smooth! :whistle: :P

Hi McGreg, it looks great! Can you mail me the SW file to check it out? daan.haeyen at hu.nl

Thanks!

Guest qbipq

VERY nice indeed...

any chance of seeing a breakdown or a wireframe ? :D

Congrats!

Guest mcgreg

Daan: Sure. I'll have to divide it into severall compressed files cause it's around 35Mb. But I must warn you that it is a bit confusing because it was mostly on a trial and error base. Some sketches (some lines and points) may seem useless, but they were use to define reference planes.

post-7300-1178705392.jpg

As you can see, I used "fill surface" alot, with points as constraints. It's a great tool!

On the top image, for the middle surface fill, I trimmed the surface, 3D sketched some lines with tangency to surface on the left side. Afterwards, I trimmed that "almost triangular" section and applyied a surface fill with tangency to surface. This last one is showing a warning, saying that "a tangency constraint may not be taken into account because it is not consistent", but the surface works out fine! :D

post-7300-1178705398.jpg

The most dificult part was to do the first main surfaces! The ones on top. After that it was much easier to work on the details, but it took around 10 hours to reach the photoworks phase!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :specool:

Guest qbipq

10 hours you say ? :D..

just wanted to ask, you or anyone else entitled to answer: are these types of models any good in a real

world production environment - are these models ready for manufacturing?

because if they are, i think i could cut down my modelling time with 50-75% if i didn't have to pay that much

attention to surface quality.

again, nice model, congrats!

Guest mcgreg

Well... about the 10 hours, it was something like this...

One afternoon I would try to start it, but after one hour I would give up... thought about a different approach for a few days and tried it again when I had the time.

Only at the fourth attempt I was able to get the top surface as I wanted, specially the front of the mouse. After that my main problem was to find the right way, and a good sketch, to make the smooth transitions at the edges.

When I started controlling the Fill Surface command, things got a bit easier! You can learn a lot of tricks for this command with this examples, available at Mike J. Wilson's website.

EDIT

Changed some colors, added some details, and tweaked with the lights a little.

I really like this first one! :D

post-7300-1178735939.jpg

I know you don't want image tags, but it's just to fit in this answer.

mouseredallru4.jpg

Guest Daan

Thanks for sending me the model McGreg. You're right that the first (top) surface is hard to get right. My experience is that if you start over again, you make a much simpler and cleaner model the second time, as you can see in my wireframe pic:

post-762-1178782837.jpg

post-762-1178782889.jpg

I don't know if these surfaces are production ready. I guess not, but I've no experience with that.

Daan

Guest mcgreg

Do you trim a small circle to make the transition from an edge to a smooth surface?!

hmmm perhaps if you make a shape of droplet of water instead of a circle, the transition could be even better! I'll try that on the next attempt!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.