Transformers! Robots In Disguise!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Vanhahn_*

Guest_Vanhahn_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:29 AM

Hello all!

I'd like to start showing some of my work for critique and for those who are still learning design and rendering in marker.

This is my final project for Art Center at Night! The class is Advanced Communication Sketching! The title of the project: Transformers! Robots in Disguise!!!! :P

Being a fan of transformers and toys, this is a super exciting project for me :) The goal is to create a step-by-step illustration of a transformation with design perspective in mind! When i say design perspective, that means appeal, communication, flow, presentation, and of course solid rendering with marker. Rules: The project must be minimum 3 canson pages in size, communicate the transformation using arrows, must have a background, transformers logo, have a flow that depicts the robot in motion, and a 7 step minimum across the page.

My transformer: Rodimus Prime! Link: http://hasbro.com/de...roduct_id=18046

My presentation plan: I hope to have exactly 7 steps across 3 cansons (given because this is a fairly simple transformation that does not require condensing) starting with the robot on the left turing into hotrod! Also, I want each view to be literally popping out of the background which means MASSIVE amounts of foamcore :) :) So each view, each figure, will be layered in foam core to create the illusion that this is indeed 3D. The background will be a city scape in flames which will also be layered in foam core! LETS GET STARTED!!!

Concept sketches/layout ideas:
Posted Image
Layout Sketches
Posted Image
Arrow Menu :)
Posted Image
Background Render Idea

So far I have chosen a background and a layout! Did a quick render of some arrows and the background roughly.

Basically I scaled down the dimentions of the background onto two 8.5x11s. Then used some reference of skyline. I combined NY and Sydney :)

The next step is to experiment some different appealing views of the step by step transformation....then create line drawings of each :)

-Attila

More....

#2 Guest_Vanhahn_*

Guest_Vanhahn_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:38 AM

I started the line drawings of each view! Here is what I came up with!

Step 1:
Posted Image

Step 2:
In Progress

Step 3:
Posted Image

Step 4:
Posted Image

Step 5:
Posted Image

Step 6:
Posted Image

Step 7:
Posted Image

Tell me what you guys think of these! :P :)

My next step is to enlarge these pictures at the local kinkos. Then transfer these line drawings onto Canson paper! :) fun stuff!

All these were drawn on 8.5x11 paper and I enlarged step 1 and step 7 almost 220% so you can imagine these views will be pretty big. Step 4 was enlarged about 140-150%. Also, this all needs to be rendered on canson so I am prepared to unleash a bunch of ink on these. Should be an interesting turn out i think! :) Im havin fun though! haha

-Attila

Critic please!

#3 Guest_Vanhahn_*

Guest_Vanhahn_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:50 AM

Today I finished my city scape rendering. This is only one layer but I think I am just goint to disect it from these idea to get a sense of depth to the city. I just thought of putting 3 different flame or smoke layers blowing into the sky toward the top left corner...but we will see how much time i will have left.

Background Render!

Posted Image

I taped 3 red cansons together and took a look at it and told myself....."Wow, this will take forever to fill in with marker"....so i used a trick my instructor told me a few weeks ago. I took a webril pad (cotton pad) and squirted marker refil directly on it and smudged the entire page! I think it has a pretty neat effect dont you think? Like the city is actually in smoke! Outline in white prisma! All done! I set it on my table so you guys can see the scale of how big this project well be! Critic please!

Posted Image

Also, I didnt like my step 7 line drawing so I did another one that I think has better depth and perspective. BIIIIIG is the keyword here!! "BIIIIIGGGG!!!!" -Tony Yao says :P

So my next step is to transfer these line drawings onto canson paper. I baught a whole bunch today so lets see how much i can get done tonight!

Two weeks and counting! :)

Please critic! :)

-Attila

Thanks a lot!

#4 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:03 AM

Cool start so far. I love transformers so I'm eager to see the final product.

There are lots of marker tricks like that, you just need to make sure you don't make a total mess like I did the other week...lets just say my Design Sketching book now has marker spatter all over half the pages. :oops:

#5 Guest_Vanhahn_*

Guest_Vanhahn_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:17 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Final Presentation Project!

#6 Guest_IDTkid_*

Guest_IDTkid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

Cant see the pics of your final project :ermm: Productdesignforums is asking everyone to use their attachment manager and not img tags when posting pictures for reasons like this. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

#7 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:45 AM

Looks pretty cool. Would be nice to have some clearer pictures though. The actual project is rather out of focus.

#8 Tim_meh

Tim_meh

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:00 AM

Dude in the b/ground has got a FOOSE shirt! Different kind of project, would be good to see some close up shots too

#9 Guest_IDTkid_*

Guest_IDTkid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:32 AM

pretty sweet dude, though your still using img tags haha but this time i can see them for some reason, i like i like! was the whole red part of the background done with marker?? if so that must of ate up alot of ink!

#10 Guest_Vanhahn_*

Guest_Vanhahn_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:40 PM

yea guys sorry about the img tags

IDTkid, Yes the background was with marker ink...i just squirt C7 refill on a webril pad and just went WHOOSH against the whole thing...turned out to be pretty cool looking! It is too bad i didnt get enough time to put in the smoke. :) Maybe i will finish it up this coming weekend.

I'll get some close up shots for you guys soon. How can i post pictures without using IMG tags? Please let me know!

THanks for your comments guys!

-Attila

#11 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:32 PM

You can either use the attachment section (hit add reply and you'll see the options) or you can use img tags, you just need to do it correctly.

You tried using HTML img tags. Forum Img tags look like this [ img ] your link [ / img ] (No Spaces)

#12 Guest_diditbefore_*

Guest_diditbefore_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

What kind of screw do you use for that robot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store