Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
grasshoper

Tablet Pc

Guest Erock

This is my opinion... and I'm still debating, but at the moment I feel the tablet pc wins due to its portability.

As mentioned before, I think it all comes down to whether or not you feel you'll be gaining more having the ability to sketch wherever you want. Of course, there's a downside to that too. With a tablet pc, if you're using PS you'll have to carry some sort of keyboard if you want to use shortcuts.

You won't be getting the sensitivy, or the wow factor of the cintiq. You won't be getting the freedom of upgrading later on. You'll also be losing screen area because of the limited size of the tablet pc. You probably won't be able to do much 3D, as tablets don't usually come with a dedicated graphics card.

The only real plus for a tablet pc is (as mentioned) the ability to take it anywhere, which for me, is still such an attractive feature. And as for sensitivity, if you think about it, theoretically you could do a very nice sketch/render with the mouse (in PS) so you're only as limited as your skill level.

Guest patywagon

Where can you find out which tablets are penable or pressure sensitive?

I've called some companies and the sales people don't normally know this sort of thing.

Is the HP pavillion or gateway penable?

Opinions?

Gateways I know currently are not. You should be able to find out Via Wacom's site or HP's. Otherwise look on google I know theres a tabletpcreview site that should have info on it.

Guest patywagon

Ya I've been to that site.

Just reviews the tablet for the ordinary user. Doesn't go over the penable issues artists and designers require.

Guest gkaye13

Mike-

Just curious, what tablet do you have? Some of the older Toshiba's seem to get good recommendations as well as the new Fujitsu, do you have any opinions? I just got my tax return and figured I could easily afford a nice size tablet since I highly doubt my company would swing for a Cintiq.

Hope the first day of classes are going well, tell all the 4th years I said Hi and wish them the best readjusting.

Glenn

Glenn, I have a Toshiba M400 (14" model). Though I beleve it's already no longer in production.

Truth be told it's not a great tablet. The 12" Toshiba I had was built much better, much more solid, less flex, sturdier latch, from a design point theres a lot of issues I've found with mine over the months. The other big problem is that theres a design flaw that allows small particles of dirt/dust to get trapped UNDER the screen protector. I had to disassemble the LCD and wipe it down to remove little pieces of dirt that were stuck, but now I already have had some come back.

If you can, you can try asking your company about the Cintiq and run off the laundry list of areas that itll improve speed productivity. I know they also have some company setup to lease/finance Cintiqs, so that may be more reasonable for them to spend $XX a month vs $2k up front.

Guest gkaye13

I've actually heard about the problems with dust under the Toshiba Tablets, thats why I was considering the Fujitsu because it received good reviews and the screen has no beveled edge which would make it as close to paper as possible.

I know my company has leases with apple and hp for computers and such and could easily do the same for the Cintiq, but considering the expenses the company has already had to deal with this year I doubt its in the budget should I be able to convince them. Either way I will try, but I was looking for a backup plan which would be the tablet pc so I could work at home, work at work and in meetings, and on the road. The best would be to have a tablet and a Cintiq but that sure as hell isn't going to happen.

I'll see what I can work out with the company but I figured I would ask what your opinion on some of the newer tablet models are since you seem to know just about everything computer wise compared to everyone else down at Tech.

My only comment about the Fujitsus is to my knowledge they don't make a 14" model. The other issue with the 12" model is the screen was only 1024x768 resolution, which isn't terrible, but I personally am a resolution whore so I opted for the Toshiba which was the only tablet available with the 1440x900 resolution. More pixels = bigger drawing area = more DPI for enlarging sketches.

Guest Erock

The Fujitsu t4215 does offer a SVGA (something like that) that has a larger resolution. I forget the exact dimensions... maybe 1280 x .... something.

Guest gkaye13

Yea, the Fujitsu has a SXGA+ option upping the res to 1400 x 1050, which should be good. Like you said Mike, I'm jumping back and forth between if 12" is enough or should I get 14". I typically draw on 8.5 x 11 paper anyway and the 12" would be close to that, but I also draw on a table and drawing on a 12" tablet would be like drawing on a piece of paper suspended in mid air. It would be best to try the two sizes, but resolution is not an issue on either size tablet, so it would be a matter of preference. Honestly, I'm more concerned with quality, build and specs before size. I can make pros and cons for 12" and 14" so its negligible. Any opinion on one tablet over another?

I would go for the 14". I had a 12" that I used at work and it simply wasn't big enough for me. If you measure a sheet of paper you'll see that an 8x11 sheet is right about 14" diagonal, then look at the 12" mark and you'll see you really are losing quite a bit of space.

As far as build quality and specs, the specs will probably be the same depending on how much you pay. The Fujitsus I had used were older 12" models, so I'm not familiar with any of their current lineup. I think the build quality was ok, but overall they didn't blow me away. The 12" Toshiba I had used was VERY solid, but I guess in making the jump to the 14" model they needed to skim off some extra weight which sacrificed some of that feeling.

Guest gkaye13

yea, I can see how that would make sense, the fact that monitors are measured diagnolly completely slipped my mind. I know for a fact that the vista drivers are much better with the wacom digitizer but is it worth it to get an older model and upgrade to vista rather than getting a newer model with vista installed? You would save a few hundred bucks and I'm not necessarily sure the tablet technology has really made leaps recently. That extra money could go towards maxing out the memory and hard drive.

The technology hasn't changed at all so buying a used one is probably fine. I personally only got one new because I financed it and couldn't afford a used one outright.

I haven't heard anything about the Vista drivers being better, I'm not sure what would be better about them under Vista than under XP. Unless you're talking about the overall integration of the tablet features with Vista vs XP Tablet Edition.

Guest gkaye13

From what I have been reading over at tabletpcreview.com the pressure sensitivity in programs like photoshop and sketchbook and overall responsiveness being better in Vista rather than XP. I don't know personally, but I kinda have to go on what other users are saying.