Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew Kim

Developing My Sketches...

Guest Andrew Kim

Hello, everyone, I have decided to start a thread to develop my sketching skills. Here is my previous thread:

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.p...c=6093&st=0

Well, I just quickly drew some random cars and ended up with 2 quick sketches. I would like to hear your criticisms. I think I am having troubles with my line quality and the wheels.

25729041lv6.jpg

62901113sg5.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Guest Motivity

Well I think it looks very very good.

Save for some minor perspective issues and one or two wobbly wheels. But that's all hardly noticeable.

The thing I'm missing though are highlights on the paint of the top car. Also it just appears less reflective overall.

As a tip, maybe add mirrors and some other little details to the cars. They usually take very little time to draw, but they add a lot to the realism of the sketch.

One other think to help with the ellipse is to just draw loads and loads of them. Take a blank page, and just fill it up with elepses. Start with constructing them inside a square drawn in perspective at first, and then slowly move to drawing them freehand. Keep them uniform in size at first. If you have one size nailed down, start varying size and degree.

Anyway, I think these look great, especially for a person your age, and you'll have those little flaws straightened out in no time. I guess then when you get to go the an product design school you'll have quite a head start, which could be fun.. Oh, and I like the designs a s well, second one looks a bit like a 'Saab Roomster' :)

Keep it up,

Niels

Your marker work is better than mine will probably ever be. Lol.

Again it's a real strong start, I would suggest picking up the Design-sketching book (www.designsketching.com) they have lots of great tutorials and different styles of renderings for both cars and others.

Your back wheels are too narrow because the degree of the ellipse is off. Look around this forum and theres lots of stuff about how to get the ellipses right in perspective. The front of the cars look very good, you don't have the droopy perspective or weird foreshortening that some people do when they start drawing cars.

The roof areas are all a little bit blocky/funky, but thats more of a style issue. I would try doing a bunch of sketches with just lines, you've already got a good idea of how the markers work, so if you focus on just the lines you'll build up a much stronger sketch.

Nice stuff though, keep us posted on your progress.

Guest Andrew Kim

Motivity, thanks. I see how I could add more small details to improve my sketches. I'll see if I can get the wheels to strighten up a bit. And yes, it is supposed to be Saab. Thanks!

And Cyberdemon, thanks again man. That looks like a really good book, I'll order it right away! And yes, looking at my sketches now, the cars look a bit clunky. Well, thanks, I'll post pencil sketches next.

Thanks guys!

Guest tiro

15 years? that´s almost unbelievable! Awsome work, also your previous thread.

And I thought I was talented :) .

like on 15 years old this sketches are really awesome but what i aim to tell you should cause that your personall skills will still enhance...first dont give up and still strive to develope your visions...second try to imagine-invent body which will be definitely the picture of yours imagination ... it means that by simple sketch will performance complex body builds with full beautifull fluidity lines,s urfaces, edges etc. just try to create something what you cant see every common day on surrounding roads... third try to fight with proportion and techniques...it makes sketch more efficient and looks better..but one of the most important things is dont commit mistakes in perspective....four seek a possiblities to compete with variety challenges on whole world what will give you remarkable experiences:)

good luck!

Guest Andrew Kim

Sorry for the late update guys... I have been busy with the attention the Butterfly has been getting and school.

This Kia looks too boring...

38039996fi8.jpg

I was trying to do something special with this Opel but it looks sloppy now.

97952250io3.jpg

I just can't seem to make my sketches look confident...

Spend some time checking out some of the other tutorials around here or on car design forums.

You're making progress. The elippses are better though the back wheel needs to be pushed forward a little bit and the rim is a little weird.

I think your shading is good, but I think that extra kick you need will come from the line weight. Try doing some just black and white sketches with ballpoint pen and work on building up exciting lines. Don't be afraid to let some of them extend past their mark, show construction lines, etc. Look at other peoples work and see what you like about it.

Also a shadow + some simple background will help a lot to pop it off the page. Your marker skills are definately up there so I wouldn't worry about those.

Guest iliffe

Hi gummy. im a year older then you but i know how your feeling with the sketching business lol.

i find the same trouble. trying to make your sketches look confident.

i recently have been doing alot of sketching and overall i think that theres 3 main points you need to consider.

- the flow of your lines i.e how your lines are producing the image your trying to convey.

- the view of the car. if your drawing a standard view of the car then your not conveying confidence because your not prepared to experiment. I think on this one that if you imagine the botom car looking up to it as in your at the same level as the road. then it will look alot more impressive!

- i think the third aspect is your style and technique. from looking at your style you like to rendering and sketch quite tight and neatly. Everyones got there own style and i think if its more of a confident sketch and render that your after you need to improve on maybe the design of the car. and how your presenting it to your audience.

for you age your doing brilliantly. ive started my first year at college on a 3d design course. im only just about starting to get use to rendering with markers without showing hesitance and being afraid of the markers messing up my work.

it takes time and alot of self believe to build confidence in sketching. its not just an 'oh yeh thats how i can do it' problem. i hope this helped you. what are you considering doing when you leave school?

sound

Guest Andrew Kim

Thanks guys! I really need to work on experimenting with line strength and perspective. I'll try something more dynamic...

One reasone why my wheels look retarded is because I hate doing them. I just hate them so much, especialy the rims.... But, you know, no everything can be pleasant. I'll try to push myself to do a better job. I also see how a background or a shadow could help enhance the drawing.

And, iliffe, I am wanting to go into product design in the future. I felt that I needed to practice on cars because they are the hardest yet most fun things to design. I am hoping to go back to my home, Korea, and work for LG.

I have an essay to do right now, maybe I could finish another drawing today. Talk to you guys soon!

If you can pick up the Scott Roberston "How to Draw Cars" DVD. He has a whole tutorial specifically focused on how to do 5 spoke wheels in perspective.