Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew Kim

Butterfly: A Social Networking Solution.

Guest driesel

First I have to congratulate Andrew Kim with his accomplishments. Only 15 and already doing this ... just amazing.

I remember still smelling my babyhood diapers when I was 15 (sort of speaking) :D.

@snafle:

giving the example of Jonathan Ive is probably the worst choice you could have made.

The man is currently Senior Vice President of Industrial Design at we know what company. It's impossible to obtain such position when you can't grasp the whole of industrial design. A good designer KNOWS what can and can't be done. Otherwise much of today's designing is pretty much spoiled effort. Which is essentially a no-go for modern companies.

I am a design student myself. I study Integrated Product Development in Antwerp, Belgium. We are being prepared to be able to communicate with all kind of people involved in design.

btw, that's something where teaching might be very helpfull to, Andrew Kim!

greetings,

driesel

Guest Andrew Kim

Thanks everyone for the much interest in this post. But I would like to make something clear...

The butterfly project does not reflect my style of design and I was actually kind of disappointed with all the attention it got. This is because an image that isn't mine has become something that reflects me. Yes, the design has the same mechanism as the Samsung K5 and also the dual screen idea is reminiscent of the Nintendo DS. Also, the color scheme reminds people of iriver's devices and the hold switch has the same color as the iPod's. But that is not what I would have actually designed.

Remember, this was for a contest and the device had to reflect what the judges were looking for. Also, I didn't have much time to work on it. I worked on it over the spring break which is only a week. If I was told to design a real product, a product that would actually be produced, I would not design such a thing. Unless if that was what the company wanted.

I am not trying to say that I am incredibly talented or gifted; I am just trying to say that some of the arguments that have been brought up is not relevant. I hope people will give me another chance to reveal myself. I have learned alot in the last month and I hope you'll look forward to my next project called "Neoclassicism".

Thanks for listening to my little rant. :)

I don't think the design itself is what impressed people (at least not me). It was the skill sets you demonstrated that are important to design, the sketching, rendering, graphic layout, etc. If someone did a project like that in their senior year of college they would be destroyed, because of all of those "real world" issues.

But that isn't what was important, you showed that you know your way around a pencil and photoshop at a very young age. I think the excess of internet coverage is just how the internet works, you post something on a few different blogs and you're sure to get some attention even if only for a few days.

Don't listen to what other people are bitching about, the design world (and people who THINK they're part of the design world) is full of people who love to hear themselves talk (myself included :) )

Look forward to your next project.

Guest lazy_me

Oh my gosh... ur kidding me!!! .. ur work is greatt! .. wot school u go to? .. u self taught urself this? wow... i cant believe it..u have amazing talent! ..

Guest dogma911
Thanks everyone for the much interest in this post. But I would like to make something clear...

The butterfly project does not reflect my style of design and I was actually kind of disappointed with all the attention it got. This is because an image that isn't mine has become something that reflects me. Yes, the design has the same mechanism as the Samsung K5 and also the dual screen idea is reminiscent of the Nintendo DS. Also, the color scheme reminds people of iriver's devices and the hold switch has the same color as the iPod's. But that is not what I would have actually designed.

Remember, this was for a contest and the device had to reflect what the judges were looking for. Also, I didn't have much time to work on it. I worked on it over the spring break which is only a week. If I was told to design a real product, a product that would actually be produced, I would not design such a thing. Unless if that was what the company wanted.

I am not trying to say that I am incredibly talented or gifted; I am just trying to say that some of the arguments that have been brought up is not relevant. I hope people will give me another chance to reveal myself. I have learned alot in the last month and I hope you'll look forward to my next project called "Neoclassicism".

Thanks for listening to my little rant. :)

The problem with that is that in the design industry your mostly going to be designing for other people, and for what they want - so you are going to need to be able to incorporate your design style while meeting their needs.

Don't be dissappointed with the attention it got - no such thing as bad press!

Creating that in one week, at your age, with no formal design tuition is very impressive. Kudos.

Guest squareitround

That's some very impressive work, especially for your age.

I don't know enough about it to comment on the practicality of producing it. The only thing I would think, is this level of tech may be a bit pricey for the student market, at the current prices these sort of devices go for.

Good luck to you, and I hope you get into the school you want.