Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew Kim

Butterfly: A Social Networking Solution.

Guest toodef1

Quote "I'll have to get my scanner to work with Windows Vista first though."

hahaha, love it.

Guest crimson117

Your phone looks very interesting!

One question, from an engineering point of view:

How can the wires to the second screen stay connected when the second screen slides out?

Guest Dia A.

Hey Andrew! :D I think your design concept is cool. I am an incoming post-graduate student (but only 21!) and even though it's a long way from high school for me, I think that The Butterfly would still be very useful for one such as I. I particularly like the simple style; guess my taste is just that, being a "simple" girl and all...and I love butterflies, too! :) Your flippable touch-screen concept would be great for me because like you, I often find other sorts of phones quite inconvenient. I had a smart phone prior to my current one, which had a bad joystick. I dropped it and got my current phone, with a touch screen, but it was still inconvenient because I had to use the stylus all the time. So I could relate with your introduction on The Butterfly.

With regards to your questions, I think your entry is very good compared to designs that 15 year olds could do, and I hope you'd win the contest! More than that, I hope The Butterfly could actually materialize because I'd probably be one of the first who'd buy it. I hope you'd get into a good college, I think a lot of folks would watch out for your designs! IMO, The Butterfly would greatly appeal to girls like me.

I wrote about your idea on our website. Here's the URL: http://www.qj.net/The-Butterfly-a-high-sch...pg/49/aid/88649

Guest Fraga500

You REALLY should change the HOLD button color...it looks like an iPod hold button =D If someone offered me an iPhone or a Butterfly, i would choose Butterfly. Man, you're a genius

Guest Andrew Kim

Thanks everyone! I never thought my ideas would spread so quickly!! My story is also currently the most dug story on digg. Thanks everyone for your support. It has given me hope to work harder and harder. Thanks alot!

I have even gotten a request from a laptop company to design laptops! Yay!

Apparently I need to start lying to people and telling them I'm 12...maybe that'll make my work look good.

Oh the power of the internet...

Congrats though. You should make sure to keep a log of where this is all going, who knows maybe you don't even need design school, lol.

Guest Andrew Kim

Thanks Cyberdemon. I am taking a print-screen of everything, just to keep a record of where things are going. I am hoping to start another project in the summer but now, I am too busy with exams and homework... -__-

Guest R Saguin

wow. Good job on this, college level work at age 15. Keep it up. Let's see if Samsung is going to make a slider that looks like this in a couple months. :P

Guest lufbrasketch
wow. Good job on this, college level work at age 15. Keep it up. Let's see if Samsung is going to make a slider that looks like this in a couple months. :P

lol...havent they already done that?

samsung-ypk5.jpg

Or were you joking.I was never one to get subtle ironic humour.

Guest andol

many designs just rebuilt the lookingstyle, the butterfly cellphone is simple, without much moving details~

Guest dogma911
No thought into ergonomics? The design itself is basically a Nintendo DS, which while may not be the Aeron chair of human factors is already a fairly proven design that works just fine.

Copying the design of the DS isn't exactly a good thing. Copying any design isn't a good thing.

While you may think design is informal and every design project is some wacky robot made out of nano particles that runs on nuclear fusion, you're making an idiotic generalization. You forget that everything you're touching was designed by someone.

And then most of those designs are made possible by engineers.

Good engineers make good designers, and vice versa.

I think that is pretty true, though an engineer tends to be a more practical designer, which can be a bad thing when you want completely out of the box - I know when I'm design I tend to think of what's possible to engineer even at the earliest stages.

My course is quite good, it's product design engineering - and incorporates both the design aspect and the engineering aspect - as well as marketing, manufacture and management.

To the original poster - NICE WORK!!! Looks good, with the amount of buzz it has got, I'd look into sponsorship for college.

Guest darkdayz

hey mate great work there, for a 15yr old your gonna end up going pretty far in this industry.

im a 3rd year product designer and ur idea and execution beats half of the people doing my course.

As a product designer, i cant say that his idea is doable, the mechanics of your ideas are simple enough to make it viable.

And it doesnt look like a ds:P