Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew Kim

Butterfly: A Social Networking Solution.

Guest Thathertz

If your considering Emily Carr as an option P.M. me. I know a thing or two.

Guest snafle

Firstly, nice design to the kid. It does look alright, and although total nonsense it's good start.

But why are people making such a fuss about this? The guy made a nice picture. He put no thought into ergonomics, hardware or software, or anything of the sort. Why have gizmodo linked to it? It's utterly pathetic!

Designers are lauded so much these days, and yet it's the engineers who actually do stuff. Everyone has heard of Jonathan Ive, but does anyone know the engineer who actually sat down and thought "how the hell does that work?" while looking at Ive's drawings, then made it? No, because engineering isn't cool and informal like design is. Not everyone can do it, whereas anyone can design.

To prove this, I've restarted work on my phone design. Wouldn't want anyone to think I was talking out my arse here, would I :P

Wow, angry engineer are we?

Saying anyone can design is plausibly the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. There are DESIGNERS who can't design.

While I don't know why this made it onto the blog-o-sphere (it's the internet, and thats how things work) the reason we've been praising him is he's 15 and has created work thats on the level of someone with years of college education.

No thought into ergonomics? The design itself is basically a Nintendo DS, which while may not be the Aeron chair of human factors is already a fairly proven design that works just fine. He's laid out the basic software interface which is fairly Apple, but again makes sense.

While you may think design is informal and every design project is some wacky robot made out of nano particles that runs on nuclear fusion, you're making an idiotic generalization. You forget that everything you're touching was designed by someone, and that in the real world designers work WITH engineers, it's not some hand me down game of "Figure out my puzzle you lowly engineer".

Good engineers make good designers, and vice versa. Of course thats not to say that bad engineers and bad designers haven't spoiled that relationship along the way.

Sounds like you need to get off your high horse though.

It's certainly because everyone can design a product that product design courses are getting popular than ever each year.

Well said Cyberdemon.

Snafle, Im looking forward to seeing your eminent phone design. You said on gizmodo "Anyone can design, I'm not saying these are not pretty but get real. This is no more a workable concept than my penis is a telephone.

". Why, in your opinion, is this not a workable concept? Whys is it, as you said here, total nonsense?

Welcome to the forums btw. Please post your stuff and dont be discrouged by anyone calling you arrogant - all good designers are and should be. :P Our job IS to tell people what they need. Everyone mught be able do design, but far from everyone will be able do design for others than themselves.

Guest Andrew Kim

Well, thanks guys. I just got emails from my friends that saw my posts on the blogs we read all the time. And sorry to upset you Snafle, I thought this product would be perfectly fine to use. I'll try harder next time. :P

This is no more a workable concept than my penis is a telephone.

I think there is something wrong in that department than. I called o/seas on it just a few minutes ago :P

Obviously the term 'concept' illudes your vocabulary Snafle. It's concepts like these that set the gears and cogs of other designers in motion to create a truly beautiful product that creates an emotional attachment with a consumer.

Andrew...great work! Look forward to seeing further pieces of yours.

Guest Andrew Kim

Hey guys, I just got an email from a magazine called "Easyfinder" to get my design published in their magazine (The magazine is questionable though...).

Should I let them? Also, I don't know much about getting things published, are there anythings I should be aware about?

Guest Andrew Kim

Well, my parents don't want my design published in such a magazine. If it was a design/product magazine, it would have been perfect... too bad.

Guest snafle

I was possibly a bit annoyed last night... well, I was an arsehole. Sorry.

I do think my points still stand, but I should have presented them in a better way. It appears you can only dial when you open the phone- this necesitates using two hands, which is a problem for a lot of people. It also only uses touch screens, which again alot of people (read gizmodo or engadget, and see the people complaining about touchscreen dialing and typing- it's just really difficult to do compared to hard buttons).

The hold switch- is it me, or does everyone detest these things? In an ideal world the device would sense when you're holding it (warmth, pressure, I haven't decided- what if you're wearing gloves...) and enable itself automatically. You dont really need a switch to stop it from opening, as that sort of mechanism usually has high friction.

There are a few other things, like having a large touch screen on the outside will get pwned (loads of people I know have a crack on their phone's screen, imagine what this would do to a touch screen) and the camera is not very good.

It's really nice looking design, but the problems like above, the fact it was on gizmodo and suchlike and some other annoying stuff led to a totally extreme reaction. I also think I totally missed the point- it's the design skills, which are great, that matter here, not the actuall product so much.

Altoghether made an ass of myself :P

Guest kadajawi
The hold switch- is it me, or does everyone detest these things? In an ideal world the device would sense when you're holding it (warmth, pressure, I haven't decided- what if you're wearing gloves...) and enable itself automatically.

I prefer hold switches. Yes, sure, you can use sensors, but... as you said, warmth? What if your hands are really cold, or you are in the desert and even your jacket is burning? Pressure? What if your pocket is pretty tight? Too unreliable, to much a gimmick. For example all those cars where the windscreen wipers go on automatically... I've heard people complain that they are always on at the wrong time, they have to drive blind because nothing happens etc. What was wrong with the old way of wiping the window?

Though the iPhones multitouch touchscreen seems to react only to skin? That might be a way to do it. Still they may be times where it's counterproductive.

The design is nice, but I find it strange that some parts are white and some are black... as if it's supposed to look smaller that way. Doesn't work for me.

Having a VGA resolution camera isn't enough IMHO. If you want to take photos of what the professor is writing you need higher resolutions. My 2 MP camera with 3x zoom is barely enough, and I can't sit too far away from the blackboard.

Wow Nice Designs!

It looks much better then deliverables by some of the 3d year ID students in my school. Cos like some people for their final do bunch of marker drawings or other hand media that ends up looking like a kindergarten drawing instead of a presentation of ID concept. I mean if a person is really good with markers, like Sead Mead then it's okay to make marker drawings etc. however if there markering looks really bad, maybe it's a good idea to use photoshop or illustrator... And our professors (some of them, at least) really don't care what the final rendering looks like, so basically they are looking at utter crap that was drawn 5 minutes before class and make comments, like "overall it's an interesting concept, although the line quality could use a little improvement..."

Compared to this there designs are crap lol. I guess $120k ID education is worthless(besides the fact of getting a degree) if a 15 y/o can design much better stuff lol.

Guest crossborder

WOW!! you are really AWESOME! I still can't believe that you are a 15yrs old highschool student!

By the way, I have graduated from OCAD in Canada majoring in industrial design!

If you have any questions on OCAD curriculum or admission issue, please don't hesitate to contact me!

I am also Korean^.^... You could contact me with HANGUL if you want to!

So,,,, Keep up the good work! I think that you have a great potential! Your product design as well as GUI design are SUPERB!!

Email: crossborder@mail.com

Sang Mark Chung