* * * * * 2 votes

Butterfly: A Social Networking Solution.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Andrew Kim_*

Guest_Andrew Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

Hello, first post! I am a 15 year old Korean high-school student studying in Canada. This is a contest entry I made for a high school design competition focused on social networking.

I am desperately wanting to know 2 things (Please be honest):

- How do I compare to other 15 year old (Grade 10) high school students?
- I am currently teaching myself about design, do you think I need a real teacher?

Thanks guys!
Attached File  butterfly1bo8.jpg   779.6KB   87 downloads
Attached File  butterfly2hk4.jpg   765.96KB   66 downloads
Attached File  butterfly3az9.jpg   530.03KB   63 downloads

#2 Guest_BloodRabbit_*

Guest_BloodRabbit_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:36 PM

Wow just wow...
That is one of the best "gadget" designs I've seen on this page.
You seem to have used a great deal of time figureing out what the promlem is and solved it as simple as possible(a qoute from Albert Einstein fits right in here: "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.").

Compared to other 15 year old design spruts out there... lets just say that their not even in the water anymore,
I would even say that you've beaten most of the people on this site.
Sadly there are things you just can't find out about yourself, so a teacher usually doesnt hurt.

Rune Larsen

#3 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:16 AM

15? You easily do better work then 80% of my college's graduating class. :blink:

While no one particularly area blows me away, there is a consistent level of quality throughout the entire project. You clearly identify the problem, your sketches are great for someone your age, the renderings are great for someone of any age, and the graphic layout of the pages is clean, well laid out, and easy to read.

If you're this good now, I can only imagine how good you'd be after 4 years of design school. You're already ahead of the game, but you need the degree to really go anywhere in the design world. Design school will also help you learn about lots of other related issues like human factors, design research, and manufacturing.

Welcome to the site, and keep working at it. If you're lucky enough to be that good at your age any design school would be crazy not to accept you.

#4 Guest_Andrew Kim_*

Guest_Andrew Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:02 AM

Wow, thanks guys. I'll start posting my marker sketches, the thing that I believe I need to work on the most. Well, I am really happy right now to hear such great comments.

Also, I'd like to show you a Canada Day poster that I did for a contest. These are 2 contests that I am still waiting results for. I ran out of time so the poster is not as "finished" looking as I would have liked...

http://img394.images.../contestby2.jpg

#5 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:49 AM

Question for you: Are you at a more art oriented school? Or do you do all of this just for fun?

Nice graphic. You should finish it the way you planned so you can stick it into a portfolio.

#6 Guest_Andrew Kim_*

Guest_Andrew Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:39 AM

I am just going to a normal highschool. The poster was done only because I had to enter it into the contest. I am aiming to go into a product design college right now. Thanks!

#7 Guest_kpc-Kuba_*

Guest_kpc-Kuba_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

omg
its very nice..
Have you own folio?

#8 Guest_Andrew Kim_*

Guest_Andrew Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:26 PM

omg
its very nice..
Have you own folio?

No I don't. Do you think I should start working on one? I actualy have no idea how to make one... so I will probabily be going to Korea to make one next year. When is the norm of making one?

#9 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:59 PM

I wouldn't worry about a portfolio just yet. Really a portfolio is just all your work put into one place. Since you're not applying for jobs (and many schools don't require one for admissions) theres no reason to try and put one together.

You can always put the stuff you've done up on Coroflot.com, thats the easiest place to keep it all in a central location. Most people don't really have a portfolio till their 2nd/3rd years of college when they have to start applying for internships.

#10 Guest_Andrew Kim_*

Guest_Andrew Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:32 AM

Oh really? I thought you needed a portfolio for admission to a college.

#11 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:02 AM

It depends on the school. Schools that are more art based usually require a portfolio, but it's usually fairly vague and based more around traditional art. Design schools generally don't expect you to be designers when you come in as freshmen, but they want to see you have a core art foundation to work from.

More technical ID programs usually don't require that.

Either way, an entry portfolio to school is usually to show you have those core skills (which you clearly do and then some). A portfolio to get a job has more of a focus on things like your ability to generate ideas and present them clearly vs. the ability to draw nice pictures.

Either way if you're only in 10th grade college is still a long ways away. Don't sweat it, just have fun and keep working on projects and the portfolio will build itself.

#12 Guest_Muzza_77_*

Guest_Muzza_77_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

Sweet work mate, I am 16 and you just kicked by butt.

#13 Guest_R.B_*

Guest_R.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

Oh really? I thought you needed a portfolio for admission to a college.

Depends on the school, in the UK, quite a few places wanted a port folio, but more once you got to the interview stage so you can show it in person.

And then internships were done in the second year, so you'd be putting one together through out the first year.

#14 Guest_Andrew Kim_*

Guest_Andrew Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:30 PM

Thanks again guys, I'm working on 2 sketches right now to post. I'll have to get my scanner to work with Windows Vista first though.

So, in conclusion, you need a portfolio to go into colleges like OCAD and Art Center but if you are going into something more based on engineering, you don't. Right?

Also, don't students going into design/art have to get ready a year early or something (If you are going in as a high-school graduate)? I remember hearing something like that.

#15 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:36 AM

As far as portfolios go, you're generally right, but like I said every school is different. Since I don't think design is really part of any high school curriculum, usually those portfolios are looking more for core artistic skills. You can probably wow them with design work in there, but I'm sure they'll also want to see things like figure drawings, still life, scuplture, etc.

I don't think you need to do anything a year early, you might be thinking of early admission/early decision, which is what some students do to try and secure their place at their top choice school. Basically that says "I'm applying extra early cause I want to go here, and if I get accepted I'm definately going". Ensures them that if they offer you a spot, they get your money. That also varies between schools though. If you have certain schools you're interested in then check out their websites, they'll have the whole admissions process. I don't think you have to start worrying until the end of 11th grade though.

I didn't get into the ID program I applied to that required a portfolio...of course that might have been due to the fact that my teacher didn't know how to work her camera, so all of the slides we had to send (before the glory days of the PDF file) were out of focus, or in focus but taken with a $10 disposable camera. I suppose in hind sight maybe that worked out for the best though. Syracuse was too cold for my tastes anyways. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store