Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kent

Sketching Tablet

Guest Kent

Soon to begin my ID studies and wanted to know if anyone could or would recommend the purchase of a Tablet for general sketching. The old standard of pen to paper is nice, but I'm interested in a tablet. No clue where to begin regarding manufacturers or models. Cheap is good. Preferably wireless. Also need info for software. All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

-Kent

Don't get anything that isn't a Wacom, at least 6x8" or bigger. You aren't going to find cheap. Cheap tablets are crap. Consider the $200-300 an investment that will last you through 4 years of college.

For software, Adobe Photoshop, Alias Sketchbook Pro, and Corel Painter.

And if you haven't mastered pen and paper yet do that before you try jumping into digital renderings. If you can't draw well on paper you won't draw well on a tablet.

Guest Kent

Thanks again Cyberdemon. Always a big help. I'm not too terrible with the ol' pen to paper. At this point I've got some time to play around with different mediums. I'm probably just bored and want to get new toys. Will take your advice and look into the Wacom tablets. Found a previous post with that recommendation, but was unsure about the practicality since I'm a beginner. Thanks!

-Kent

would this be sufficient?

http://www.wacom.com/graphire/6x8_bt.cfm

Yeah that'd probably be fine as a starting point. The Intuos tablets are a bit more sensitive and have some other features that are nice but the price is more.

Just keep in mind that if you want that tablet you'll need a bluetooth antenna for your computer which you probably don't have standard. Getting a USB tablet may save some money and hassle. Typically you're going to use the tablet in a fixed spot anyways, so the bluetooth may or may not be the greatest thing.

Guest Kent

Yeah. Your right about the bluetooth. Guess it's not too big of a deal using the usb version. Thanks again. One more thing regarding the software. Are you recommending I get all three or are they comparable, in which case I need but choose 1? Thanks again

-Kent

If you're going to be in any design professon on earth you need to master Photoshop (and the rest of the Adobe software including Indesign for page layouts and Illustrator for vector graphics).

Painter is what a lot of people on this forum use for tablet sketching. It has lots of different effects that it can get and with some practice the results are usually very nice.

Alias Sketchbook is pretty much MS paint for the modern day. It's very simple but has a super intuitive interface and was designed for the tablet PC (so everything can be easily accessed without shortcuts).

Many people use a combination of the programs as well. Photoshop for cleaning up scanned sketches, Alias for linework, painter for coloring, then back to photoshop for other effects. With educational discounts the software is all pretty reasonably priced.

Guest Kent

It was also recommended that I get a hand held scanner for large drawings. The type recommended was a "Docupen." The link follows:

http://planon.com/docupen_rc800.php

This is just the newer model, kind of pricey. Do you think it's really necessary or just more money than it's worth?

Again, I do have a top loading scanner but it'll be limited to standard letter size paper. Would require multiple scans of any thing larger. Worth the trouble?

-Kent

Whatever that pen scanner is I'm not sure who suggested it but I can't see it being any good for scanning drawings.

A flatbed scanner is the preferred method. If you can't get a scanner with a big enough bed (Ebay is your friend) it's not that hard to scan drawings in sections then combine them in photoshop. I have a 9x12 flatbed thats 11 years old, but it still works good enough for me to get my stuff into photoshop to clean up. For 11x17 sheets (or bigger) I'll just scan in 2 sections.

It has a fun glitch where the outside 1/4" is always bright yellow now, so at some point I'll have to invest in something a little less trashy.

Guest Arvin
Cheap tablets are crap.

I've heard this time and time again. Why is that exactly?

because ıt does not understand you. some times while you are modelling in some kind of modelling program ,the screen is freezed. the emotion is the same ... :D

Cheap tablets are crap.

I've heard this time and time again. Why is that exactly?

Really just an issue of the technology. They have fewer features, cheaper quality, and a poorer digitizer. I think you could get away with using one of the cheaper models if you found a brand that worked, but I know a few people who've bought knock offs and they had problems. I think they are fine for the amatuer Photoshopper on a budget, but for a professional design student the Intuos is really the only way to go. If there was another tablet that was as good and cheaper, word would have gotten out by now.

Guest Phineas

Hi there, I just wanted to share my experience and say: a Wacom is a marvelous tool!

I´m a cad-kind-of-guy but browsing this forum actually made me buy a Wacom Intous3 recently. A4-size.

And I´m sooo glad I did :thumbsup: . I use it mostly with Sketchbook Pro. This software is the most userfriendly I think I´ve ever seen. Not too many tools but pure sketching with a feeling I didn´t think was possible with a digital interface. Can´t say anything about other tablets cause mine is the only one I´ve ever tested, but I think the Wacom is worth every penny.

Guest hackett1867

I have a Wacom Intuos 3 A4 tablet. Its a brilliant tool, a marvel of engineering and a beautiful object. It isn't a replacement for skill though. I couldn't draw before i got it, and i cant draw now.

Too many people believe getting a tablet is the easiest way to good renderings. NOT TRUE!

I'm not trying to put anyone off, I'd buy it again in an instant, but its not gonna make you a better designer.

Guest mylesmontgomerydesign

hey guys. just a query is anyone here using or used the wacom cintiq tablet displays?

what are your thoughts?