Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tiro

Wacom Intuos 1, 2 Or 3?

Guest tiro

I´d like to buy a wacom, but I didn´t want to spend much more than 100€/133USD. So I wanted to know if I could buy a cheaper Intuos 2 or even Intuos 1 in ebay, or does it have to be Intuos 3. Is the Intuos 3 so much better? I´m not a designer yet, do I actually need such an expensive tablet?

What are the arguments for spending more money for the Intuos 3?

An Intuos 2 is probably fine, I don't remember if the Intuos 1 was only serial/for Macs or not. Thats the one thing to watch for with early tablets, lots of them didn't support the PC.

The only argument for spending money on a better/bigger tablet is if you are considering a design career then it's an investment that will last you a long time.

Just make sure you get at least the 6x8" model...the smallest one is useless IMO.

Guest tiro

Is there no alternative? Cause the Ituos2 is also expensive..., I´m so stingy, lol.

Or should I better buy some good markers and pencils and buy a wacom when I start studying?

That's probably a better investment. If you can't draw on paper a Wacom isn't going to help you. So many people on this forum try diving into digital right away and it reflects in the work.

I'd suggest getting a set of gray markers, some good pens that you like, and some decent paper. Getting really good just at doing linework and understanding shading in black and white will help you much more then trying to jump into fancy colored renderings right off the bat.

Guest tiro

Yes, that´s what I´ll do.

I think with good skills on paper it can´t be hard to learn drawing on the computer. It´s all about the basics. Maybe I join an art school soon (again).

I will consider later which wacom I buy.

Totally agree, go the markers, your skills will become more confident when you make the transfer to the sketch tablet (going off watching designers making the transition)

Guest tiro

Is there any quality difference with pens or markers, or are they all ok? Shall I spend more money and get some better ones?

Theres definately a quality difference. Where I am just about everyone uses Prisma color markers, which are actually pretty poor, but they're cheap and easy to find. I've heard good things about the Chartpak art markers which are supposed to be good and fairly cheap.

The Copic Tria markers are the top of the line, but they're very expensive and hard to find (at least around here).

Guest tiro

should I also buy some colored pencils? Or just different grey colored pencils?

I think when I spend much money on everything, it will be good, I hope so.

I'd suggest if you have an art store to get a couple sets of matching colored pencils in different hardnesses. For example Prismacolor makes 3 different types of colored pencils (Verithins (hard), Prismacolors (soft), and Watercolors (Very soft)) It's good to try and pick up a matching set (all the same color) of the different pencils because this way you can learn how to use the different pencil types for shading, line weight, etc.

I wouldn't suggest getting a full set of colored pencils because it's usually expensive and chances are you won't use 75% of the colors. Usually a dark blue (Indigo Blue), Black, Gray, and red (Crimson Red) set will work nicely. Those colors have a good ability to be drawn very light to very dark depending on the pencil type and how hard you press.

Personally I think the ballpoint pen is still the best way to go. Cheap, easy, lasts forever, and works great on cheap paper. Also working in pen makes you very confident in your lines since you can't erase.

Guest sketcher23

Here's what I would suggest to get: a ream of paper from office max for just sketching only, office paper will drain your markers of ink so I wouldnt use your markers on this paper. As for markers and supplies I highly suggest using chartpak markers, they are the easiest to blend with and give you far suporior results over other markers, my opinion is that prismas are ok but they dry out incredibly fast and arent as juicy. As for marker choices go with values 1-9 and maybe a couple of colors like some light blues and yellows. You should also get yourself either a pack of prismacolor verithins or a pack of bic pens, which ever you think youll want to sketch with..Oh and also get a pad of beinfang 360 marker paper. You can get all this stuff from Dickblick.com....they have the best prices out of all the retail store and websites ive seen

Guest tiro

Thanks for your advices.

Tomorrow I will go to an art store to buy some of these things.

Guest tiro

I was there, but it wasn´t actually a real art store. They didn´t have anything good there, no art-markers. I just bought 2 pencils 2H and 6B. I will buy some markers and pens in an online art store which I know that they are good.

Guest tiro

Shall I buy some Copic Ciao markers, than I won´t need ballboint pens, right?

Do I need a black marker?

Markers are not a replacement for the ballpoint pen. You don't want to be drawing with a marker in public because the markers stink. A pen can go with you anywhere you go.