Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
ragde

3d Modeling Challenge - March 2007

Dear Friends:

Great work all of you!

It is important to point out that the spirit in these challenges is to "3D Model" anything. And it is important to be clear in that it is not a SW challenge, so if you know or use any other 3D Software, Please USE IT!.

As far as we are going, specially in this particular Challenge, Cinema, Rhino, Catia, 3DStudio, etc. are best suited for complex surface modeling.

Anyway, if you use SW (like me), then you have to figure it out how to deal with the model, and sweat a little bit more. We all know that SW it is a bit short concerning surfacing against those packages mentioned before.

But, guys like Parel, Paul Salvator, Mike Wilson, Ed Eaton and so many other will meet any surfacing challenge just with the "limited" pallete of SW tools.

See you.

Guest Daan

Hi Eric, it's very interesting to see how a totally different program than SW would do it. It looks so easy in Cinema! I wonder why you would ever want to model this kind of product in SW anyway?

Daan

Guest ProLover

Hi Guys

I am new to these forums. Can I post My work? I am working on Wild Fire3.

Hi Eric, it's very interesting to see how a totally different program than SW would do it. It looks so easy in Cinema! I wonder why you would ever want to model this kind of product in SW anyway?

Daan

Yeah for really organic and complicated shapes it's sometimes much easier to use sub-d's for modeling. In Maya you can generate nurbs data from polygon cages I believe... which is nice :)

Guest AxelRod
Tried a couple of them...

post-3609-1175115560.jpg

post-3609-1175115710.jpg

Axel, any chnace of a model up load so we can see how you did these?

Also, zxys, great work on the face models! CAn we see an upload from you too?

I would but the max upload size is only 100k!!! :confused1: My file is 500k (zipped and ecosqueezed) :)

DEar AxelRod:

Yes, should be nice to see those files..

If you want, send it to: e.gidoni@gmail.com

Thanks a lot!

Guest Carbon

Nice!

What kind of images you use at the background of your render?

If I use any image with indirect illumination, then it always seems to colour the scene too much.

Edit:

Well I see you've used SW2007.

Does this make the difference (I have 2006)?

Guest Marc UK

Hi All,

I've been following this forum for a few months, but never posted onto it before......

For me this is a very interesting challenge. Although simple at first sight, this chair has some fairly complex transistions, especially around the forelegs. I managed to model-up a pretty decent resemblance fairly quickly (2-3 hours) but since then I have tinkered with it on and off, for days, trying to acheive an exact replica of what I see in the reference photos. This is NOT so easy! (especially with some the temperamental surfacing tools in SW 2004!!). I would really like to see someone nail-down this design, and then maybe follow-up with a walkthru of their technique (Ragde's model is great - as always - but still missing some of the finer details).

By the way....someone asked why anyone would want to model something like this in SWx as opposed to the easier option of doing it in a sub-d modeller. Well, Daan, the simple answer is that a sub-d modeller produces faceted surfaces than are no good for manufacturing. Although great for generating and devloping concepts fast, at some point, the product is going to have to be described as pure geometry (as opposed to facetted), analyzed for impurities, and translated into workable tools for manufacturing. Although some of us NURBS-heads might APPEAR to be masochists, taking the hard route, really, there is no other way!

By the way....keep a look-out for the next release of Amapi Pro. It is being totally rebuilt as a sud-d / NURBS crossover package, enabling you to ideate forms in sub-d, then convert to NURBS surfaces. (We'll have to wait and see how well it does this before we can pronounce it as useful though!!..)

Carbon:

SW2007 brings a lot of better background images, this for instance, (Conference room ambient), has a special floor image (with some imperfections that resembles realism very nice).

Dear Marc UK:

You are right about that the model has some tricky transitions.

I would like to have a blue print of the item to get the real dimensions an curves, but all we have are the photos.

So it is very difficult to get an exact replica of the model. (And really I don't want to spend a lot of extra time trying that)

Anyway, there are a lot of techniques that we can apply to get those transitions nicely.

With SW we have to learn to produces "faces" instead of features. Of course, thinking in "feature style" it's easier but it is very difficult to get an exact copy of the model details. Working to create "faces" is more demanding but the results are as near as possible to the real model.

Ciao all!

Guest Eric Lagman
Hi All,

By the way....someone asked why anyone would want to model something like this in SWx as opposed to the easier option of doing it in a sub-d modeller. Well, Daan, the simple answer is that a sub-d modeller produces faceted surfaces than are no good for manufacturing. Although great for generating and devloping concepts fast, at some point, the product is going to have to be described as pure geometry (as opposed to facetted), analyzed for impurities, and translated into workable tools for manufacturing. Although some of us NURBS-heads might APPEAR to be masochists, taking the hard route, really, there is no other way!

This is true if you try to take the model directly from the Sub-d program, but if you have Rhino V4 and the free-t splines plugin you can bring in your sub-d mesh and it will convert it to a nice nurbs model that can be used to machine a pattern. I think Max and Maya have nurbs converters also, but im not very familar with those. Attached is a screenshot of the chair I did in Cinema 4d as a nurbs surface in Rhino.

post-6901-1175775942.jpg

Guest mcgreg

This was a tricky one! But none the less, here it is! I didn't use any auxiliary sketches. That's why it's not like it should. :whistle:

My main difficulty was with the border between the sitting area and the "legs"/back! For the cleavage between the legs I used the NURBS EDITOR from www.plasmadevelopment.com! :thumbsup:

Also, there is something wrong with the surface because I wasn't able to "thicken" the chair! When I "check" it, I obtain an open surface which I'm not able to resolve... :confused1:

post-7300-1175790870.jpgpost-7300-1175790877.jpg

post-7300-1175790884.jpgpost-7300-1175790862.jpg

AxelRod: how about a small tut on the fountain?! :)

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.