Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quexjem

Thanks

Guest Vigleik Norheim

Excellent portfolio! Loved your toaster!! :whoo: But I would get rid of all unconventional navigation, such as "intuitive" scrolling. Try fading in/out instead, and use buttons and let people switch between images. Also: speed up your FLA to 31 frames/second and stretch the timeframe instead. Gives REALLY smooth motion. For typograpy - avoid patterns behind any text. Apart from that - strong portfolio :)

Nice portfolio, but I'm bothered by the site design.

I think if you're going to make use of such a big window you should let us see the work at a bigger size. Right now the photo on the right doesn't add any value to the viewer or the site, but it takes up 1/3rd of the screen.

Remember designers love hierarchy. The most important thing should be the biggest and what my eye is most drawn to, which in this case should be your work. I'm also not in love with the navigation that seems to slowly float around. I'm assuming thats intentional but I'm not sure why, again it becomes a distraction in the corner of my eye when I'm trying to look at your work. The background pattern is really heavy too. If you're going to use a pattern make it very faint and don't use it everywhere, mix it with some solid blocks of color. Your eye likes white space, it gives it time to relax. The pattern everywhere becomes overwhelming.

I'd also provide a link to your email address over what you have now. If I was someone who really wanted to contact you I'd want to send you an email, not have you send me an email back saying "How can I help you?" It eliminates an un-necessary step in a world where people are already too busy to answer emails.

Guest triax

Your site just has working writtern on the left side. I assume it's under dev at the moment. Let us know when its back up.

Regards,

T.

Guest Vigleik Norheim

Hi,

have you changed anything..? I think you have to kill some of your darlings here, because the bad interaction design totally draws the attention away from your excellent product design skills. Considering the usability of the site, it would be much better for you just to hand over a PDF when applying for a job. From an interaction design point of view, there are two things you need to think about:

1. Keep the main navigation accessible at all times, and in the same place. In your site, you hide it behind the current project, and some part of the navigation is even sliding around. Confusing! Think of an iPod - totally intuitive, but still very, very cool. You should not let the user be able to move the project window around, either. Loose the reset-function, and fix the window in one spot.

2. Get rid of the floating navigation in the sketch section. Cut the large picture into separate sketches, pick out three or four, and let the user click through them.

Links to the first and the three last projects are not working...

Regards,

Vigleik