Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fastforward

3ds Max Render

Guest fastforward

Hey guys and gals!

I have been quite the lurker around here, but I have decided to go ahead and post some things of my own, now and in the future... so be afraid... be very afraid... MUWHAHAHA... or something like that ;)

The first is a rendering made for some posters for school. The product is called the hydromigo, a mobile hydrogen-powered pad/device. It uses splashpower technology to charge mobile devices. The productidea and concept are not mine, but the model and the renders are. The render is done in 3ds max 5 with the Brazil renderer. I have had quite some experience modelling and rendering in SW, but I have only started to learn 3ds max the past week for this posterseries, so I would like your opions on the render, especially the composition and the materials... I have tried really hard to make some nice shiny plasic and I think I have succeeded! (standard material, falloff for reflection and ambient).

I can take critique, so fire away! I promise i wont cry... much... ;)

post-10415-1174319707.jpg

Guest daveR

For a first 3dmax rendering it looks good. It shows that you had previous experience and know the fundamentals.

Now as far as the materials go I have a couple of comments. First of all they are too shiny. You should add just a bit of reflection blurring to make it look more realistic. Secondly, did you use fresnel reflections (I don't know if Brazil has the feature)? I'm asking because the one in the second pic looks more like coated chrome than plastic. If you didn't and Brazil supports that, you should turn it on. The blue one looks great, btw.

Another thing that you might consider is using a few light sources to give more variation in the reflections or maybe even an HDR map.

Guest fastforward

thanks for the tips:), I'll try again this weekend and post the results of the changes!