Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zaphire

Peugeot contest finalists

Guest Zaphire

Hi y'all,

I was checking out the finalists of the Peugeot contest and in my opinion there is a lot of difference in quality and presentation. Some contesters have passed on the bases of (brilliant) sketches, while others have modelled entire ex- and interiors.

Also I've seen work on various forums that surpasses that of some of the finalists.

And what about "a future that is nearer, more accessible and concrete"? There's a frickin' marslander between the roadsters!

Anyway I think I've heated it up enough, now let me know your opinion...

Guest kankun

I agree with you.Some car are too inovate and doesn't correspond to the brief.So i am disapointed!!Some other car on some forum are more beautiful!!But there are also some car which are good so I voted for .

well, I really agree with you. This is what I posted in husseindesign's Peugeots thread:

"I agree, lets all vote for Hussein, tell your friends as well to vote for him.

I must say I'm really disappointed with the choice they made, the concept Hussein sent in is one of the few concepts that actually fits with the design brief, that being it could be on the market in the next 2 or 3 years. There's a lot of cars there that should be great for the first contest, but for this one?

Anyways, I'm still happy I participated, it was a lot of fun and I will surely be there again next year ;)"

But then I thought about it a bit more.. why participate and do my best if they seem to randomly chose finalists that don't even follow the design brief...?

There are a few really good entries in the finals, but some of them are just... 'ehhh... why!!!!'

So I'm not sure if I will participate next year.. if I will, it will be because I want to have some fun and a new portfolio piece, but not for winning.

Husseindesign, you should post your other 2 entries here as well :D Your convertible was the best one imho..

Guest desagree

wow. you must have missed the finals within an ace, renzsu! i see a lot of your concept in the "3rd ave" project... maybe it was really because of the missing details :D

apart from a few exceptions i really appreciate the finalists`projects. congratulations to all of them! (@all: in the end it`s not their fault they were choosen...)

it was exactly the same in 2002 (i was in the semifinals with peugeot harpoon..)

I`m really amused to see that my 2nd edition project would fit also to this one ;)

in fact we talked here about the interpretation of the official theme. it was expressively said that you can do what you want/dream of. if you think that in near future cars can fly- fine!

i think that`s the basic deal with contests like this: try asking yourself why peugeot is putting so much effort into this?

1. it`s the cheapest way ever to achieve fresh ideas (the projects they don`t put into the finals)

2. it`s the easiest way to achieve lots of publicity and some eyecatchers for amateur web surfers/ trade fair visitors.

Looking at it from this point it`s easy to understand their selection, isn`t it?

@all: I would like to know from you who do you think will make it to the next round and why

;)

Guest Zero

Well, a contest is a contest... different judges and different opinions..

BUT i'm agree with you, absolutely.. some of the choosen ones just seem to be there cause they won a kind of lottery. Otherwise, the method they use to choose is just so far from the one i thought they had. Who knows? I do even know someone in peugeot.. and i'd say the only reason to partecipate, is fun.

I have partecipated with fun, and, time permitting, i'll do it again.. But i have this feeling like i'm not to really competing.

it's a bit frustrating anyways.

i go to but a bingo ticket. :D

Guest husseindesign
"I agree, lets all vote for Hussein, tell your friends as well to vote for him.

I must say I'm really disappointed with the choice they made, the concept Hussein sent in is one of the few concepts that actually fits with the design brief, that being it could be on the market in the next 2 or 3 years. "

Wow thanx guys.. I really do not know how to reward you!! ;)

Putting my hand on my heart: I really am disapponted by the selection. Sonuds funny when coming out of the mouth of someone who was one of the advntaged by his selection. I've seen a lot af really good looking, innovative and theme-true concepts all over the net. but they were not selcted. And to talk about my entries, they selected the most unexpected one to be selected! while I thought that the 509 or the Sumer had a better chance to qualify and didn't want to show them before the pre-selections.. lol you remember that even I did't want to send the 909 and 707GT first :D

Well, the selection has been done and we can't do anything but wishing good luck for those who we like their concepts and think that they deseve winning B)

There are really some great designs. The problem with Theme was the restriction on "near future". You can't get too innovative because that won't be really following the theme of the contest. Cars that can be produced in the near future (3-6 years) will only have new styling and ex- and int design, but no really revolutionary features such as those strange (I'm saying it pretty neutrally) wheels you can see on the Transalpin concept. Such features will be only showed on concept cars that will be showed in the near future.. the may go into production or may not.. and if the make it into production, then it certainly not be in the "near future", but 10 years from now at least.

The Jury seems to have noticed that and became a bit more tolerant. It looks like they re-defined the term "near future" to make it include the next 2-12 years!

Anyway.. Thanx again guys, you really rock! ;)

(I'll be submitting my othe two entries in the old thread I presented my 909 in)

Guest flow

hi dudes

imo this contest is in some cases more about show than high quality styling and far beyond high quality design;

ornaments on a wheelarches and fat wheels seem to count more than

innovative formal concepts. the stylingelements used by some of the finalists

are pure show and have nothing to do with intelligent surfacedevelopement.

surf- and lineflow seems to be less attractive to journalists and www-users

as fat highlights or hyper reflective surfs of a poly-model :-)

btw: how is it possible to compare renderings or concept sketches with

3D models.

designprocess complications?

let me know if i am totally wrong

flobert

Yeah I agree with you completely.. there seems to be a big gap in what is regarded as 'proper design' and 'popular design'.. one only needs to take a look at shows like 'pimp my ride' or watch 'the fast and the furious' to see what's going on.

Guest desagree
Yeah I agree with you completely.. there seems to be a big gap in what is regarded as 'proper design' and 'popular design'.. one only needs to take a look at shows like 'pimp my ride' or watch 'the fast and the furious' to see what's going on.

honestly: i l-o-v-e pimp my ride!!! :):) (unfortunately my tv doesn´t get mtv...)

but i had never seen a connection to design- it`s just entertainment like jeopardy..

Yeah I like that stuff as well, just to see how silly they can go with those cars..

What I meant was that those kinds of cars are what are now popular amongst young people. They don't see a car they buy as a finished producht, but as a starting point to start customizing theirselves.

Perhaps an interesting point for a new discussion?

just made my votes.. really hard to choose 10 finalists. Made 8 votes, including the vote for Hussein :)

i'm just like you all people...i also don't understand why some of the finalists were chosen, with all my respect

it looks like they have picked 15 odd,original,unique concepts and 15 great looking, show, close to real concepts. In each of these categories, just a few are very well thought out in my opinion.

Guest webweasel

I am trying to figure out what happened in the peugeot contest. The 2 most popular theorys are 1. A hacker sent in his project, then he put a virus into peugeots computer that would block or destroy the good projects, thus eliminating the competition. 2. This is a practical joke, the 30 finalists are actually cartoons that have been made to look like real cars by using 3D software, this becomes obvious when you compare the text to the pictures. I tried to find some evidence that these theorys are false, but I could'nt find enough to disprove either theory.

Guest desagree

@webweasel: i saw you already in the peg-forum. I`d therefore love to see your entry. Please post it!

Guest desagree

@webweasel: sounds like "no" hm? ;)

anyway I found an interesting link which contains a collection of "non classified" projects

http://level0.free.fr/

edit: i personally like concept no. 9 "efferus" a lot! It`s not finished somehow but the conceptional idea+CI work...

Guest Zaphire

Wow, that's a fun site!

It contains a lot of 'not so good' concepts (to put it mildly), but between the rip-offs, ill-proportions and nice-try's there are some little pearls.

My personal favorites: 90 and 72 (I secretly like that big-nosed number 112, but don't tell anyone ;) )

They should make a poll out of it: the best of the rest!