Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest crazypoopoo

Is Drawing Skill The Most Important Factor In The Design Process?

Guest crazypoopoo

Hi all. I am a Product and Industrial Design student. My school has already taught us the basic perspective and freehand drawing at our first year. However, I am still unable to draw nice perspective drawings. So can I know is drawing skill the most important factor in the design process? And is it necessary for the drawing to be in perspective? Why can’t it be isometric?

The only reason designers sketch is to communicate ideas. Perspective is the way people see the world. Isometric drawings look awkward because they're an artificial way of visualizing things. Other designers and engineers will probably understand it, but normal people and clients definitely won't.

Sketching is important.

Guest Spezz

Drawing skill is always important. About you not being able to draw nice perspective drawings after one year: that's no problem, just practice, practice and practice some more. It will come.

The necessity for perspective is bigger in cardesign than in for example small object like a computer mouse, because the smaller the object is and the closer it is to you, the less perspective is actually seen. But no perspective at all is not possible with the human eye.

Still any selfrespecting designer should be able to at least sketch simple objects and products in perspective because your sketches will represent the reality more, thus it will be easier to judge and make decisions about the design of you product.

Guest huakakak

hi, first of all sorry for my english.. i dont think that drawing skill is the most important factor in DESIGN PROCESS.. i had even very good drawing skill before i started on university, still i had to work very hard to improve my design. I think its more about our sensibility and ability, how we could analyse our design, which is a result of our creativity or imagination.. and drawing is just our tools to visualize it, to show it to other people, or even bring it to the next step. (prototyping etc).

you can veryyyy good drawing, or sketching, but.. if ur design are not good, it wont help you..

So my conclusion, drawing is important, but as designer, we must hav strong imagination, creative, and intelligent ( ability to take decision based on what we´ve learn, observe and logic ).

Be different.. in design world its all about creativity, not drawing..

If u r not so good at drawing, find another work tools to visualize ur idea.. 3D apps, or Clay modelling.. it doesnt matter..

about Perspective : its not necessary if u could find another way to visualize ur idea clearly.. =)

Guest toodef1

Ideas are you most valued asset - If you cannot think critically to solve problems then yep you will sure need those drawing skills when all you a doing is sketching other peoples ideas.

Remember Ideas make $ pretty pictures dont.

unless your picasso

Guest toodef1

Seems like were on a similar track here . . . I just read others posts. I suck at drawing big time compared to other iders - Im no scott robertson etc. Just keep practicing - Buy the design Sketchings book. you wont regret it

h

Guest blck
The only reason designers sketch is to communicate ideas. Perspective is the way people see the world. Isometric drawings look awkward because they're an artificial way of visualizing things. Other designers and engineers will probably understand it, but normal people and clients definitely won't.

Sketching is important.

QFT

Indeed, you dont need to be the best sketcher to be a product designer, but it's all about communication. If you cant communicate the ideas from inside your head to other people (teammembers, clients, production-personnel) then you have a very big disadvantage to someone who knows how to draw. Also the faster you can draw, the more ideas you can visualise, the more new ideas you'll get by sketching others...really it's like a whirlpool, once you're caught in it, things go faster and faster and faster....

And Isometric sketches tend to be boring and are the total opposite of the spontanous and dynamic proces af idea-generation...So to me isometric sketching kills creativity...and it looks akward to.

Grtzz

Of course all of the above mentioned things are important. Creativity, problem solving etc. etc. It is however also important in my opinion NOT to think...ah...ok i am not the greatest sketcher, then give up. A designer who can sketch is virtually aways going to win over one who cannot in an interview. I cannot speak for product design (i am an automotive designer) but i have never met a designer who cannot draw. Sure, some may choose to work mainly in some kind of CAD application, but at the end of the day they can still draw.

No CAD application will let you throw down tens or even hundreds of different design ideas in half an hour! This is where creativity usually starts. A designer who can sketch can exlplore countless ideas in a day. As different and as wild as he or she pleases. When it comes to being the designer whos idea gets picked this is important. You can never be fully sure what it is your design boss is looking for. If you put up a couple of well designed, well thought out design solutions from CAD, and the guy next to you is pinning up 100 equally well thought out design solutions, the simple odds say that the boss will find what he is looking for from your team mate. He has had more time to try different things, explore different creative avenues and solutions....

In short.....in my opinion, being a designer who cannot draw is not really a feasable route.

I agree whith the comments above though. After only one year sketching you may not be happy with what you are drawing. Do not give up though. Try looking at what you drew one year ago and compare it to what you draw now. If you can see an improvement then its OK. Just keep practicing....and force yourself to practice perspective. It might be painfull at first......but i guess it wasnt any different when you learned to ride a bike. I also suggest that you spend some of your time drawing objects from real life. This will help you learn and understand perspective.....without having to think up an interesting design at the same time.

For help on learning the skills and techniques of automotive design, visit, www.designertechniques.com

Guest CheckMate

Drawing - Most important tool for visualising aesthetics

Modelling - most important tool for ergonomics

CAE - most important tool for engineering and mechanics

etc. etc.

they are all methods of planning a product but from slightly different perspectives, the perspective you should choose depends on the type of product you are trying to design.

having a Brain - Indispensable

Guest daveR
hi, first of all sorry for my english.. i dont think that drawing skill is the most important factor in DESIGN PROCESS.. i had even very good drawing skill before i started on university, still i had to work very hard to improve my design. I think its more about our sensibility and ability, how we could analyse our design, which is a result of our creativity or imagination.. and drawing is just our tools to visualize it, to show it to other people, or even bring it to the next step. (prototyping etc).

you can veryyyy good drawing, or sketching, but.. if ur design are not good, it wont help you..

That about sums it up.

People often mistake a good sketch/drawing with good design when the two have nothing in common.

Heck, look at how Marc Newson or Frank Ghery sketch. And then look at the final products.

Guest Harry Anugrah

as a product designer that basically solving problem through products, we must delivered our idea to the client or user rightly. good sketching will help the client or user understand precisely, it also will help you a lot when it is produced

Guest Foamcutter

" A picture saves a thousand words " ............... or so the saying goes, but if it takes a thousand words to describe your picture you won't have any left to sell your idea.

Not even worth 2cent.

Guest barefootcreative

our course tells us that drawing and communication ideas are the two most valuable skills a product designer can have. everything else taught supports these two foundations. pretty much.

my drawing ain't too good. all i did was sit down and copy previous excellent product sketches for a while and this increased dramatically. i just need to do that w/ marker pens now and i'm away...

Guest no1liksu

Ideas are the most important thing but how are you going to present a great idea without drawing? I've seen great ideas go down in flames since the client might be distracted by a more dynamic presentation (saw this happen in a meeting with Michael Eisner at Disney). And beyond presentation it's part of the ideation phase. I usually get a lot of ideas from sketching, as it's part of my creative process. Learn to draw or you're probably going to get your ass kicked by someone who does.