Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daan

Extreme Modelling In Solidworks - Ouch!

Guest Daan

Hi! I'm a Solidworks teacher from the Netherlands. I've come up with the idea to let students model real, curvy products. Thing is, some products are really hard to model. Like this shaver: the way the surfaces flow into each other, with perfect continuity. Would anyone like to take a stab at modelling this? Just the top-left side, that's the most difficult part.

shaver_martin.jpg

Here you can find a SW file with pictures in it. The side view picture is a bit off, but it will help to get the approximate curves. I'm really curious to see if anyone can model something like this!

Please note that we use SW 2006.

Bye, Daan

Hello Dan,

What you might want to do is take a look at some of these tutorials on here that have some amazing surfacing techniques. Also here are a few web sites that have models that students can down load, roll through the history, and see exactly how it was made. There is SOOOOO much that they can learn by just rolling through the history.

• www.mikejwilson.com - Great models to look through

• www.zxys.com/swparts - Great models to look through

• www.dimontegroup.com - excellent power points that explain a lot of what is going on behind the scene in the program

hope this helps

Guest Daan

Thanks Cadjunkie, but I already read all of Ed Eatons presentations (very helpfull!) and checked all of the models.

Guest mcgreg

Is this what you mean?!

post-7300-1173387438.jpg

Simple render with now tweaking. Just assigned materials and rendered.

Guest mcgreg

Nice!! Could you show how you did it?!

EDIT: Nevermind! I already saw it on your website! :)

Guest Daan

zxys, that looks great! Thanks, it's VERY interesting to see someone else model something I did too. I'm going to study your model thoroughly. Here's my attempt at (a piece of) the shaver:

http://www.it.fnt.hu.nl/~pde/files/Files%2...0martin4.SLDPRT

Edit: I studied your model briefly, very different approach then I use! You don't have a draft, but that can easily be done with changing the starting extrude. You don't use layout sketches like I'm used to.

Also, you have a problem spot, see picture. I'm used to modelling both sides at once to ensure continuity. Also, I see you didn't use curvature continuous in your lofts, why is that?

This is great learning stuff!

PS How do you get your file sizes so insanely small?? I used ecocompress, but I'm not getting under 9 mb.

post-762-1173565144.jpg

Guest mcgreg

Daan: I used your technique and came up with this!

post-7300-1173705964.jpg

It's always good to learn new techniques!

Nice one! :thumbsup:

p.s. - gotta finish the watch challenge now! I've got my computer working again! ;)

Guest Daan

McGreg, that looks great! I think after some models like this, nothing is really hard to model anymore. Did you render this in SW2007 with HDRI? Can you send me the file?

Guest mcgreg

I did a simple render with the default setings... I only adjusted the lights a little bit to get some contrast, but my experience with photoworks is still very limited! :D

As for the file, I'll see what I can do because it's a bit of a mess... I started with the "head" of the shaver, on it's final position and the I did the handle on the same file part. The problem resides in the fact that I did the handle in the horizontal position and then applyied the Flex command. But because I wasn't able to move the head to the right position, I saved the bodies into two separate files and created an assembly...

So now I have the original file with around 50mb and two files (head and handle with 10mb total) that are related to the original one. Any change that I make on this one will have reprecussions on the other two!

I should be able to send you the original file if I supress the features to reduce its size! I'll see what I can do!

Guest qbipq

would it be too much to ask for a short breakdown or at least a few additional wireframe views?

i'm really intrigued by the shape of the tip on that thing...

Guest Daan

OK, here goes:

post-762-1174039530.gif

post-762-1174039536.gif

post-762-1174039971.gif

post-762-1174039978.gif

post-762-1174039989.gif

post-762-1174039994.gif

post-762-1174040269.gif

It looks easy now, but it took some time trying out things.

Guest qbipq

it looks quite nice..

just wanted to give you the proper thank yous' for sharing