Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SaR

Presentations

Guest SaR

Hi there, thought I'd start a topic where we can post our advice on presenting designs/ideas to clients or at university. I myself am not very experienced with presentations so if any one has any tips and hints for delivering a winning presentation of my designs in both a group and individually please post here! I'm sure there are others out there who would benefit from this advice too!

:D

I have little experience as a student, but I want to give it a try. First, I believe that the kind of content depends on the complexity of the assignment and on which design stadium you are. I think it is quite usual that a design studio presents their work in different stadia. Between those presentations, they will get feedback from the client to work with. Lets say we are talking about the start of the design for a client.. the first presentation of your work. I think it's quite usual to show the 'briefing' of the client and to show your own 'interpretation of the assignment' (design vision). Also explaining 'methods', like design methodologies and users' research, is a common a thing to put in such a presentation. Then show them the design ideas, maybe 3 till 5 or more different concepts with the explanations or features. Finally tell your favorite concept and convince them why that one is the best. In some cases they agree with your chosen concept A, but they also like concept B. So sometimes it might be useful to combine concepts before they ask you to do it.

About how the ideas/concept should be presented? For the first presentation sketches/photoshop renderings should be clear enough to communicate your ideas. CAD illustrations/foam models/prototypes are things for the next presentations.

One more thing.. if the client ask you to do 3 concepts before the design process starts, then try to do 4 or more concepts to please them more.

I think this is quite a standard situation and it's far from complete. Hope that others can share their thoughts and tips :D

Guest nonex.nl

Adding to the story as described by Waikit:

There is one step before working with the client: convincing the client they need to choose you, an no other designer. I've experienced it is just as important to show you master the design process as well as design qualities.

Research among clients of architects has shown: the better the design qualities of an architect: the more the potential clients have the feeling the other qualities of this architect will not be so good.

Conclusion: the better your design qualities: the more you need to focus on communicating your other qualities as well. (This is also how those small companies, with lessdesign qualites survive: they have less problems convincing clients about other qualities :D )

In this stage: convincing the client they need you,it is really important adjust your presentation to the client: when they get the feeling it is a ten in a row-presentation: they won't choose you. If the client wants his medical practice to be designed and furnished: don't show up with some shop you consider to be your best work, but show up with this dentist interior and the beauty farm you did, and other, even though you don't consider them as your best.

If your buying a car and someone shows you a boat: you won't ask him to look for the right car for you. ;)

In this first meeting it is MOST important to listen: you want to get to know the client (and second: you can think 6 times faster than speak: the more he speakes, to more time you have to think about his words when still facing him.) If you ask the right questions, you are the one to direct the conversation. Added to that: if the client really has the feeling you are listening: he will have more confidence in your capacities to solve his problem.

This is the second crucial topic: in this first meeting you need to distill his problem, and help him to formulate his problem. Even though you haven't the job yet, the design process has started with getting the question clear: you need to convince him you are the one who understands his problem.

Quite often they are less interested in explanations of research methods, but more interested in the overall design management: show them you will finish in time, on schedule and within budget! Otherwise they won't recommend you to their friends.

If you need to advice your friends about a restaurant: you won't give this restaurant with excellent food but long waiting times good credits.

Same goes for designers: if you deliver a excellent product, but it is above the budget and not in time: is a bad delivery. ;)

I'll continu in a next post.... B)