Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Sketch Challenge 15: Yacht

Hi all, lovely that you're all participating, I should slap myself and get in on the action as well.. Here's a general tip: I see many of you seem to struggle with the water around the actual yacht. What I would advise is to leave out the water entirely! The best I think would be to have just the waterline on the hull (you can leave out the rest of the hull below the waterline) and a cast shadow on the water surface. This way you'll avoid having to erase around a patch of water or just having a cloudy mist around your sketch. This takes away the attention to your sketch and just makes it look messy. The best example how this can give you a clean result is bowlofnoodle's sketch.

If you want to indicate scale and size, have some simple silhouettes or figure outlines on strategic places on the deck.. I wouldn't give them too much detail as this also distracts from the actual ship.

Guest guti

new to product design .... when designing ships do we need to study naval architecture?

This is just a sketch session, no studying required :)

Here are some more sketches for inspiration. Notice the lineweight and perspective angles. Also the basic shading does a lot in these sketches.

Notice: THESE SKETCHES ARE NOT MINE! I wish I knew who made these so that I could give credit where credit is due!

post-2-1173622792.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not a big fan of really dense sketch pages like that. They seem to be the trendy thing to do, but especially since they're usually just compiled in Photoshop anyway after the fact, they definitely don't aid in communication or speed.

Very nice sketches, though.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not a big fan of really dense sketch pages like that. They seem to be the trendy thing to do, but especially since they're usually just compiled in Photoshop anyway after the fact, they definitely don't aid in communication or speed.

Very nice sketches, though.

I agree, as a page it looks too busy and cluttered, if he had half the sketches on that it would be better.

Guest tiro

I had too much time, so I rendered a yacht in (standart) ms paint from scratch. It took me 4 hours!!

post-9978-1173650125.png

I have done another paint-rendering before here!

Guest JakeS

Renszu you are a guru. I love your sketch style. Yea the page is a bit cluttered but I also really like 'full' sketch pages. Ones that have sketches varying in detail, focus, perspective and size. I did a personal project over our summer break designing a remote control boat. I did a lot of research into small boat design/engineering and then did a lot of sketch work. Unfortunately this work is at my parents home in the attic but I have some photos of the final product - I designed and built it from scratch. So sorry this isn't sketch work but I just had to take this opportunity to post my design and model making skills. Sorry to be off topic. Feed back most welcome......thanks

post-7875-1173670439.jpg

JakeS, sorry to disappoint man, but those sketches weren't mine :) I had them saved on my drive somewhere because I liked how dynamic they looked.

Nice boat model, maybe you can post the whole project sometime in a finished projects topic when you get to find the sketches :)

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.