Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fnewallsmith

Portfolio Comments!

Guest fnewallsmith

Hi my name's Felix,

Currently i am studying Product Design at Bournemouth University.

Having just made an online portfolio for my third year placement i

thought i'd post it, to see if anyone has any comments on improvements?

It's a little unfinished at the moment.

http://www.transouth.co.uk/felix/welcome.htm

Thanks a lot!

Felix

Right off the bat: Get a better color scheme. The super bright green on white is extremely difficult to view not to mention very uneasy on the eyes.

If you are going to put your products as a PDF, I would suggest making sure you save the PDF so that it's a very small file (Use Indesigns 72 DPI web preset). While most people have broadband, waiting for a dozen megs of PDF's to load is usually something that is annoying and can be avoided when 500k worth of JPG's would do.

For the washing machine...you have the first portfolio I've ever seen to feature physics calculations. Frankly I would get rid of all of that. You can describe that as a skill in your resume but you don't need to show your work like it was a math test.

Get rid of the swastikas on the airplane rendering. If you want to show that you know how to texture a solidworks rendering do it with something a little less Nazi.

Guest fnewallsmith

Fair Comments,

Thank you very much! This has been a trial run for me.

Was going for an eye catching theme with the green but

it is hard to read.

Thanks again!

Felix

Guest mylesmontgomerydesign

I agree with all of cyberdemons comment. and have some of my own. Try to create one simple portfolio encompassing all of your projects and CV if possible. Try to get better images of your work and display them as a single page so thepeople viewing these can see your thought process. with the solidworks stuff are you able to put them into perspective before rendering them? always looks a bit strange in iso! Remember its always said your judged and questioned on your worst work. Keep on refining and taking feedback encouragingly and you'll end up with something your really proud of.

Echo the above thoughts...found it annoying how each page got linked to a PDF, which I than had to adjust to fit my screen size to see the whole page. Colour Scheme is a bit over the top, something eye catching, yet simplistic works well. Check out some design company websites for tips and tricks...generally they are not too bad.

Wouldn't showcase your physics knowledge as Cyberdemon mentioned, maybe add this in your resume if it applies to a job you are looking for.

Guest lock 1985

hi,

i am also a bournemouth product design student, but im currently in my third year so im on placement. You really need to look beyond what your doing in tutorial and project time. Getting on this website is a step in the right direction. Remember that bournemouth focus's on the engineering and that doesn't really appeal to employers in a visual sense so you will need to work hard on getting your presentation up to skratch - its hard i know, iv been trying to sort mine out and it difficult without guidance. The best thing to do is look at other peoples portfolios and look at how they layout their work check out coroflot.com and just browse through the profiles - it never hurts to check out the competion.

Guest fnewallsmith

Hi.

This is true, well hopefully going to refine my web-site images soon, this has been a bit of a rough draft, thanks for all your help sounds like iv'e got lots to do!

Oh and the washing machine thing, well your probaly right, seemed like a good idea a the time, still unsure of the point of the engineering maths in our product design course. Also i hope to change the overall theme of the site, a bit more design. Layout and presentation i guess is something you learn through trial and error!

Lock do you mind me asking where your on your placement? How's it going? Any suggestions? on geting one.

Thanks again, felix

Guest lock 1985

my advise would be look for small companies that will give you a broad range of jobs eg design, presintation, prototyping. unfortunately i ended up working in an architects office as an architectural assistant but luckily i work with budgets that are pretty unbelievable £15 -£500 mil, i wouldn't recommend working for a small architectural firm there just isn't enough to do. if you are interested though i work for SMC Architects and they are very keen on product designers so it may be worth googling.

main tips i can offer:

- get yourself registered with a recruitment agency

- buy design week (its full of jobs and contacts)

- look further afield most design jos are concentrated around the midlands (london consultancies have alot to choose from with local uni's and some of the best foriegn students wanting to work in the uk)

- at the end of the day any experience is good, and working with new software takes about 4 weeks till your a natural with it - and in real life that isnt long

sorry about the essay

Guest fnewallsmith

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if i could get any feedback on my new portfolio website!

www.felixdesign.uk.com

thanks a lot!

felix