Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Confused Chimp

3d Design Software Recommendations Please

Guest Confused Chimp

Hi all,

I'm new to all this, I've been sketching different things I design for many years, but now I would like to get some software to design and model 3D objects.

At the moment I am deisgning some furniture and would like to be able to design them on a computer, to be able to produce a plan with measurements etc on it. But also to be able to render a picture of the object, view it ans rotate it.

I'm not a student or proffesional, just an amateur having some fun.

If possible I'm looking for freeware.

Or cheap software, I can't afford much.

Cheers

CC

Guest Nathan

Also try Alibre. It's more 'CAD-like' than Sketch-up (e.g. has a feature-tree, constraints, parametrically-based etc.) and also free. It's lacking some boolean and other functions (at least it was a couple years ago) but it'll get you started.

You might also try Rhino as they have a free trial and are relatively inexpensive but offer some rendering options.

Guest Confused Chimp
Try Google Sketchup. It's very very basic but it's very easy to start off with and is free.

I've downloaded and installed Sketchup, which looks really good. Many thanks for the recommendation by the way.

I started watching the video tutorials, and it said that it is not a CAD program.

Now admittedly I'm new to this, but in what way is it not a CAD program? What the technical requirements for it to be classed as a CAD program?

cheers

CC

With a CAD program (like Rhino, Autocad, Solidworks) you can produce accurate technical drawings and models.

Sketchup lets you put dimensions, but certain fairly simple features (like making accurate curves) it can't do. It's good for making fast mockups of things, especially architectural type stuff, but doesn't have the more advanced features of a full fledged cad program.

There are a few free 3d modelling programs out (like Blender) but they are meant more for animations/renderings then creating dimensioned objects (at least from what I've seen). The truth is theres no good "free" CAD packages, although programs like Rhinoceros have trial demos. If you (or anyone you know) has some student credentials you could always get a student copy of Rhino or Solidworks for around $100.

Guest Confused Chimp
With a CAD program (like Rhino, Autocad, Solidworks) you can produce accurate technical drawings and models.

Sketchup lets you put dimensions, but certain fairly simple features (like making accurate curves) it can't do. It's good for making fast mockups of things, especially architectural type stuff, but doesn't have the more advanced features of a full fledged cad program.

There are a few free 3d modelling programs out (like Blender) but they are meant more for animations/renderings then creating dimensioned objects (at least from what I've seen). The truth is theres no good "free" CAD packages, although programs like Rhinoceros have trial demos. If you (or anyone you know) has some student credentials you could always get a student copy of Rhino or Solidworks for around $100.

So it looks like I may have to buy one if I want to be able to produce technical drawings as well, doh! :-)

If there any general concenscus to which CAD program is the best? Is there a particular one you could recommend? Is there much difference in price?

Many thanks for taking time to reply, it was very helpful.

Cheers

CC

I personally use Rhino for my CAD stuff and Maya for my rendering/animations. Most people on this forum use Solidworks. If you don't have a student discount I believe Rhino is the cheapest program you will find. It is an excellent surface modeller but lacks a lot of the features that Solidworks offers. If you want to produce drawings for furniture then it should do the job very well.

Guest jenkieesjc

Hello

I suggest you use Thinkdesign. Go to www.think3.com , you will find this excellent software's demos.

That's exciting!

:)