Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
eobet

How To Do This In Solidworks?

post-526-1172408208.jpg

Ok, two bad sketches, but hopefully clear enough to illustrate my two questions:

1) How do I a) extrude/cut a sketch along the normals of a surface and B) project the sketch along the normals of a surface (ie. wrap around)?

2) How do I produce reliefs with are fully rounded, yet have irregular "organic" outlines, preferrably without manual lofts? Consider if that would be a blade of grass, and I want to do hundreds of them without tearing my hair out...

1) Do a surface offset of 0mm. Trim out the shape you want on top. INsert>Cut>Thicken

2)That is going to be a very difficult job by modeling in Solidworks. Why dont you do this by texturing? You can use an image based transparency map.

And for your second problem:

I agree with Parel, maybe some texture can solve your problem, if not, I think that it is not a "lot" of work to do this...

post-4562-1172420532.jpg

Anyway, in your avatar image you only have 3 hairs, so you are not going to pull a lot ;) (Just kidding).

Ciao

Ok, so I'm still on 1...

Ragde's first suggestion apparently works on all surfaces... cept lofted ones.

Guess I'll have to try the offset trick, though I don't fully understand it.

Final resort will be to construct planes normal to the surface and try to get an as near result as possible, though I'm not fond of that solution.

post-526-1172447776.jpg

PS. Thanks for the tip on the relief, it is greatly appreciated. But if we continue with the avatar example, what if I wanted to do the entire head as a relief... is a bump map (or was it transparency map) the best solution?

There is a way to do it by wrapping the sketch around the object than designating a cut-out. I did it back at uni, but was shown my someone that did a solidworks training course, will dig it up this afternoon at home and post something later...don't use solidworks at work

EDIT: File isn't where I thought it was...going looking for it on DVD's..

I tried, and I think I understand the offset trick now, but I still have the problem with me wanting to wrap the sketch onto the lofted surface. I had to create a total of two axis, a split line and four new planes in order to come close to getting the sketch as properly positioned normal to the surface as I wanted...