Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest feesta

Protecting ideas at a job interview.

Guest feesta

A friend of mine interviewed at Fossil watches last June. He showed his work (non-watch designs) to them in Chicago. They liked it and wanted a followup inteview but asked him to do some concepts for one of their lines, Burberry. He spent two weeks putting together the presentation packet they requested including some cad renderings. Also he spent more than $100 getting the packets printed and bound since they wanted multiples. They flew him to Dallas and the interview went well but they didn't hire him.

Now about 6 months later they have a new line of watches that look surprising familar to his concepts. I know that nothing is really new design, but when he contacts them about it, their lawyer says they already had the sketches the same week my friend sent in his concepts. Fishy?

I doubt there's much that can be done. The similarities are several major details and the concept for a striped ribbon band that can be interchanged. Not rocket science but still he's a bit upset. Any thoughts or advice? Other friends in the ID world are recommending he get a lawyer. I don't think it will make much difference. His sketches were dated but not notorized.

Beware when a company asks you to do work for them to get the job. He was desperate and unemployed.

that's an unlucky story. never do concepts for free..

he shouldn't be too desperate after hearing that his portfolio was good.

it means that he still got a chance, good luck to him :D

Guest I-ALPE

Hi feesta: I suggest to include a "CONFIDENTIAL" stamp at background and a legal advise at the beginning of your presentation... it is not a full protection but you can go through legal actions. :)

Guest papicas

I suggest that, if you do concepts, and I can also understand their position: they want to know how you work in their field, make a copy of your designs and ask them to sign somekind of receipt directly on your copy, so you have a writen proof that they did see your designs, or even kept them.

They should be able to tell your skills from your portfolio. If you design for them, you should be paid for the freelance work. I've never heard of any field where people are realistically expected do work for free when others are charging for the same thing. It devalues our skill of concept generation, which is an extremely important part of product design. Yet these companies are getting away with getting it done for free?!?

If I hired a lawyer to defend my case, could I get him to just show me the applicable laws to my case and how I'm legally in the right to win for free? Of course not, then I wouldn't need him anymore. That knowledge is part of their profession and what they charge for, not just speaking in court and filing papers.

Guest bart_schilder

two words: Confidentiality agreement!

Besides that: never show stuff to anyone that you don`t want to have published/copied etc. A good interviewer doens`t have to see that much to have a good idea about you and your skills.

Guest good luck

if they really did use your friend's concept then that's really unethical of them. but that's how it works in the real world i guess. i think getting employers to sign a contract thatt they won't use your work without asking for consent is one way to defend your work. but i dunno if that'll really work or not.

Guest lekuk

I think there is a way to place a "copyright" to your ideas, concepts...or don't show your concept watch, if you have an interview with a watch company. Show them a toaster ;-P. In the real world you have to be very carefull. Even talking about ideas in words, will be a con for you. Keep the best concepts for you and show the not best concepts.

Guest pacho

Sorry to hear this happened to you, unfortunately this is the world we live in...

As for what you can do:

Copyrights: Not much use, they only prevent someone from litterally copying your idea on paper, e.g. photocopier, photography or reproducing it graphically. Now if you had them copy a graphic pattern this may of helped, but the question you have to ask is are you going to take them to court over it?

Design patents can be obtained for a $1000 and are worth it if you truly believe you idea is a winner and worth pursuing. The generally protect shape, form and pertain to 3D details.

Utility patents are expensive and relate to the technical and functional aspects of your design, to apply for one your idea have to be new, unique and un obvoius. Again the cost great deal and are only worth it if you are self employed and have a winning idea.

You could get them to sign a contract before the interview, have it drafted up by a law student and make it cover confidentiality and design rights which belong to you. This would be the cheapest way of protecting you ideas, as generally work because it leaves them with the fact they have signed something and tells them that you are serious about protecting your designs.

Hope this helps.....

Pacho

Guest kekata

when we are talkng about the copyrights here, i have a question - how we are potected from copying here, in this forum? or we are not? :( please answer, becaouse i have some ideas, that i want to share, but...

Guest Ludecrous

Do you find a lot of companies asking for specific "custom" sketches as part of the interview process nowadays?

Guest Danielus

During mu fairstand design times I had strange situation with my design beeing builded twice for two different companies in one show. Reason was I lefted my design in company I previously worked, and showed to owner of another during interviev, and that guy sketched it, so details were varying but main idea of 3 pylons keeping logos was the same. Those two companies had some argument after, but I was paid just for the first one - when working on regular salary.

Generally works for "trial basis" during so-called "recruitment process" became very common method to have totally free brainstorming on individual subject, used by variuous companies in central and east europe, so one should be very careful when answering any press ad or applying to any hmm, ''recruitment" espetially made by companies not beeing on the top ranking in bussines ethic.

BTW I dont think Pannerai or Baume&Mercier would act like this.

Danny

Guest IP_Wirelessly

Effectively once you have posted an idea/sketch to this forum, you are eliminating your protection rights as you have published to a public forum. This is assuming you have not already protected the design through patents, etc.

when we are talkng about the copyrights here, i have a question - how we are potected from copying here, in this forum? or we are not? ;) please answer, becaouse i have some ideas, that i want to share, but...