Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ross Hetherington

Ross's Website

Guest Ross Hetherington

Hello,

I have just made a new website, it is growing and does not feature much in the way of design work atm. But it will soon be loaded up!

Have a look and tell me what you think:

www.rosshetherington.com

Please go on and look around, and if you get far enough go on the blog and the forum :)

Guest Nathan

Hey Ross,

A few questions and comments:

What is the goal of this site? Are you trying to solicit work? Present a portfolio? As a hobby? Personal web page?

-It's hard to know what you're aiming for since some parts talk about services and some parts talk about hobbies.

-I would get someone to proofread the copy. I noticed several weird phrasings and typos -- particularly the about page.

-Compress the images--a lot. Some of those images are 300k+, try to get them down to an absolute maximum of 20k (higher for a large hi-res image showcasing work if you need to.)

I think it's a start, but until you add the content (gallery, portfolio) and grow the blog (what's wrong with being Polish anyhow?), it's just a shell.

Guest Ross Hetherington

Hello,

Thank you for you response!

The website is extremely crude atm! I will be working on the content and English over the next few days. Those images were just 'holding' images until I have scanned in my portfolio to fit on the pages and put some content up. And all other images will be further compressed in future.

The point of the website is as a personal one. It does not however appear like it atm. I will try and change the content to show this.

Also the comment about the Polish has been withdrawn when I proof read it this morning. I realised it was not fair to just pick out a single group of people. Sorry if anyone read that and was slightly offended.

Thank you again.

Guest Crayzee

Hello Ross,

I will try to help you, because I work as a web designer and developer for a five years now. I have some advises for you, you don`t have to listen me, but it would be good for your image ;)

1. Design - when you design portfolio web site, the main goal should be your works. People come to your portfolio site to see the works, so try to do that, give some accent to works.

2. Design of your web site is little bit old, you should try to keep it clean and corporate or to give your personal note. Right now, the design is bad.

3. Typography should be better, parahagraph text should have margins about 5 px, not to go from edge to edge of the box. The fonts in menu are 2 big.

Try to play a bit with those things and ask if you need help!

Cheers

Guest Ross Hetherington

Thank you for your advice, my next version of this site will use many elements of your advice.

1. I will make sure the portfolio gets higher on the contents list, and to make people more aware of it actually being there. (when I can get it up)

2. How could I make my website look more 'corporate' I know its a little to personal atm?

3. What size should a good content font be? And what fonts should I be using to make it look better?

Thank you!

Guest Crayzee

About 2 - well just look some corporate web sites, you will get it when you see them. Just type in google some cool brands, and you will see what I was talking about.

About 3 - You should use 11 pt text for content, maybe ariel or some type of helvetica, those are easy reading fonts.