Guest Marlamuth

Design Books Recommendations

Guest Lilith
another cool book for sketching is

Alexander Ott - "Darstellungs technik"

the use of copics explained very nicely

http://www.amazon.de/Darstellungstechnik-A...t/dp/3830712936

cool - is there an english copy?

i just looked and couldnt find an english copy on the internet :P cant believe there isnt one

i got mine in Moscow, it is in russian, but the original book is in german i guess. To be honest i've never read the text, the illustrations were enough for me :blush:

Guest antidesign

Like others I can recommend 'Design for the 21st Century' by Taschen. This was an absolute bible for inspiration at uni for me while it doesn't have any real design theory it always gets the form ideas flowing. I have both the full version at home and the Icons version here on my desk.

And now I think there's a new one out called Design Now!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Design-Now-Designs...0287&sr=8-1

Does anyone have it and is it as good as the old one? Does it have the same kind of content?

I would also concur that 'Materials and Design: The Art and Science of Material Selection in Product Design' is a really well presented resource book for materials and process while its not complete it serves most concept design purposes.

Cheers

Guest whatisdesign

I have the new "Design Now!"

I don't have the old one, but it is similar in style to spoon &fork. I'd recommend it. Full of good designs and has some interviews with the designers who created them.

Guest firecracker
Design Sketching caught my eye, but its quite expensive for me (55U$S, plus the currency exchange here that makes it 170 pesos) so I wanted your opinion about if it's really worth it.

Thanks.

IF you have access to the internet its now worth buying any of these books in terms of value.

Im in the UK, and find design books frighteneningly expensive, but if you got pesos to pay with I imagine its even more daunting. an in honesty books are mostly NOT worth the money.

But its "nice" to have them, own a book full of wonderful images, ideas and techinques I understand.

But there are so many talented people on the internet showing there work, many on this actual forum that will guide you through most things you need to know. Easily a lot more useful than a bookful of pretty pictures.

What the internet is not so good for, is reference data, for that I reccommend you hit your college library and buy a few key books when really necessary for assigments.

Ask your tutors for reccomendations.

Guest bagaudae

Greetings fellow colleagues!

I`m starting a fairly big project right now (hope it is my last one as a student), and it`s about something completely new to me. Cutlery: in fact, i think it is said "silverware" or "flatware". In Portuguese, it`s just cutlery. Anyway, it`s about spoons and forks and knifes and the like. problem is i never did anything even remotely related with the subject.

I`m desperately trying to find some info/insight/inspiration on the subject. And also some literature on ergonomics - hand related.

any thoughts, suggestions and directions would be most appreciated.

Guest ligander

Hello to everyone

u can see & download thise book (freeeee) in the idcouncil library in 4main network

u must be member in the clob to acces download

Emotional_Design_-Why_We_Love_or_Hate_Everyday_Things

<Design> <Design basise> <Emotional_design> <Don norman> <Idcouncil> <Industrial design> Download --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Design-and-Aesthetics

<Design> <Design basise> <Idcouncil> <Industrial design> <Design> <Design basise> <Idcouncil> <Industrial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beyond Design

<Design> <Design basise> <Idcouncil> <Industrial design> <Design> <Design basise> <Idcouncil> <Industrial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Design_Dictionary

<Design> <Design basise> <Industrial design> <Idcouncil> <Design> <Design basise> <Idcouncil> Industrial --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

design history, a student handbook

<Design> <Industrial design> <History> <Design basise>

Guest toodef1

Do you matter. How great design will make people love your company.

http://www.doyoumatter.com/

It will do more for you than any "product design secrets" "masters of product" or any other tashcen mega volume documenting the last 100 years of manufactured object.

Hayden Martis

Guest Musdi
Does anyone have any good books on PD to recommend? I’m looking for books on anything from semantics, product signs and graphics to sketching, rendering and prototyping.

The easiest way to obtain articles related to product semantic is simply type

http://scholar.google.com.au/

and you will get thousand and thousand of interesting information. Happy browsing :)

Guest tunia26

"Design Secrets: Products" (ISBN: 1-56496-638-0)

is one of the best i think

Guest tunia26

I can recommend this two: "Product Design and Development" by K.Ulrich, S. Eppinger (ISBN: 007229647X) and "Design Secrets: Products" (ISBN: 1-56496-638-0)

Guest retrospec

does anyone have any good books that either teach or inspire designers and engineers that they can share? I would love to read up on some

does anyone have any good books that either teach or inspire designers and engineers that they can share? I would love to read up on some

Hm not really but the best book the paste month i have read is from Tim Clissold "Mr. China" ISBN-13 978-1-84119-788-3

ISBN-10 1-84119-788-2 Subtitle " A Wall Street banker, an Englishman, an ex-Red Guard..... and $418.000.000 disappearing, day by day

It's a perfect business guide for china wrapped in a amazing story and sadly true it works here as describe in the book.

This is maybe for one or the other who wants to run his own products worth to read.

BR

Peter

Guest Yasmin

Here are some that I have, some are sketching/rendering books, some a manufacturing and some are materials. Hope this helps.

General:-

Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things

Designing Pleasurable Products: An Introduction to the New Human Factors

Sketching/ Rendering:-

Sketching: Drawing Techniques for Product Designers

Drawing for Designers: Drawing skills, Concept sketches, Computer systems, Illustration, Tools and materials, Presentations, Production techniques

Presentation Techniques

Inspiration:-

And Fork: 100 Designers, 10 Curators, 10 Good Designs

Product Design Now

Design Secrets: Products - 50 Real-life Projects Uncovered

Manufacturing:-

Making It: Manufacturing Techniques for Product Design

Manufacturing Processes for Design Professionals (This one is excellent)

Materials:-

Materials for Inspirational Design

The Plastics Handbook

(My housemate who does architecture says below are good for materials)

Transmaterial: A Catalog of Materials That Redefine Our Physical Environment

Transmaterial 2: A Catalog of Materials That Redefine Our Physical Environment

Anthropology:

The Measure of Man and Woman: Human Factors in Design

Bodyspace: Anthropometry, Ergonomics and the Design of Work

Amazon always have lots of good ones... there are a few on there I want to get but I don't know if they are any good - such as Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach through Design