Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Guest Marlamuth

Design Books Recommendations

As far as graphic design goes I would recommend anything by Willi Kunz.

He has 2 books.

Typography: Macro- and Microaesthetics

Typography: Formation +Transformation

Do you want inspirational or informational types of books?

Guest Hazdaz

J6STUDIOS - I probably should have been clearer... I am not quite as intereted in graphic design, as I am in overall product/industrial/event design.

Inspirational or Informational is fine with me.

CYBERDEMON - I will try to find that book and see if that is what I am looking for.

Thanks guys.

Guest Hazdaz

Would you guys have the author of that 'Design Sketching' book? (or even a place where you got the book from)

Searching Amazon brings up a million books, but none of them with that exact title.

Thanks.

Guest Tanja
...While I try to get my ideas from just everyday life - especially during my long commute home -, I would still love to get some good design books.

Anyone have any recommendations?

BTW, not sure how common this question is, so I already searched, but didn't get too much.

Hi,

I'm new to the boards here, and am also very interested in any recommendations for good product design books. While my professional background is in illustration, multimedia, UI design and web development and design consulting...I am currently a product designer for seasonal decor, novelty items (such as animatronics), and toys. So, I'm definitely looking to help myself and my creative co-workers learn and continue to grow as stronger product designers for our company.

Looking forward to seeing more book recommendations.... :P

Edit: I did find a sticky regarding a book thread, unfortunately the link posted on the sticky did not work:

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.p...ost&p=10915

t

Guest Azure

I find the three books below extremely useful. Especially the eco-design handbook, which is great for materials reference.

Designing the 21st Century by Charlotte Fiell (Editor), Peter Fiell (Editor)

Product Design: Practical Methods for the Systematic Development of New Products

by M.R. Baxter (Author)

The Eco-Design Handbook: A Complete Sourcebook for the Home and Officeby Alastair Fuad-Luke (Author)

Guest lufbrasketch

I recomend the design secrets books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Design-Secrets-Pro...TF8&s=books

One of my tutor's at uni recomended it to me last year...I wish I would have got it for then, so handy. It covers everything from the concept generation straight through to detailing CAD and model making. Gives a good insight into workflow. Try and get both design secrets books. A worthwhile investment in my opinion.

Cradle to Cradle is definitely required reading for anyone who plans to design in the 21st century. It does a great job of outlining the problem and positing some generalized solutions, but doesn't give a lot of concrete examples of how to actually realize them.

For a more pragmatic look, check out Worldchanging. It's a 600 page tome (I'm only a quarter into it right now), but it's got a lot of great tidbits of encouraging design and movements.

Guest Hubbabubba

Hey, is anyone selling (cheaply i may add) any of their books? From looking at this thread the ones id be

interested in would be design secrets ( 1 and 2 )

Ideo masters of innovation

deisgn of everyday things

spoon

inspiring designers

design sketching

or any product design related ones that have prooved helpful. Poor student you see :(

Any help gratefully appricated!

Thanks Hubba xx

Anybody knows if both techniques ánd materials are discussed in "Materials and Design: The Art and Science of Material Selection in Product Design" by Michael Ashby and Kara Johnson, and does it contain materials apart from plastics and metals?

Some more tips in this field and an extra opinion on "Product Design: Practical Methods for the Systematic Development of New Products" by M.R. Baxter are also welcome...

Thanks!

Guest Aphasia

i'm currently using the Product Design book by Mike Baxter as a reference for my MSc Thesis. it's very useful in terms of processes and methods for designing, selecting the right concept and there is also a lot of content concerning the run-up to designing a product including exsiting market research, competitor analysis, SWOT analysis. Each chapter has a toolkit which is great for reference.

The materials and design book contains a lot of information which i haven't come accross presented as well anywhere else. It's also pretty useful information too. Amazon has a search inside feature which helps if you want to look at the contents page. Other than that, the book covers material selection and analysis along with case studies and a mass of information in the back detailing manufacturing processes and materials (with example uses). It includes a lot of info about plastics and metals (but there are a lot of different types!!) but also ceramics, glass, fibres, natural materials and a number of new materials. It also contains lists of further reading on each chapter.

I would reccommend getting both.

Hope that info is useful!