Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Guest Marlamuth

Design Books Recommendations

Guest Pragonetti

Here are a few that fun and will help with basic sketching and rendering skills...

Rapid Visualzation

Rendering techniques "Dick Powel"

Guest Miles

On a slightly different track, but as relevant as ever:

The nature and art of workmanship - David Pye (Herbert Press)

The nature and aesthetics of design - David Pye (Herbert Press)

Miles

Guest Mark's

Hey Ladies and Gents, I was wondering if anyone could give me some good pointers of getting some good general design books….

Guest sketch_render

hey Mark's! What type of books are you looking for??

>Drawing/layout/rendering?

>Inspiration?

>Designer/period specific?

>Country/area specific?

Let me know...

Cheers

Guest Mark's

Drawing/layout/rendering

Designer/period specifics

any of the above two....

Guest sketch_render

Hey marky mark,

Two really "good designer" specific books ive read and bought recently are ::

:: Marc Newson ($50) by Conway Lloyd Morgan

:: Supernatural : Work of ross lovegrove ($100) by Ross Lovegrove

Both books are really wicked, very nice and lots of pictures and interesting insight into there works...esspecially Supernatural: covers manufacturing processes, materials, ect...

(btw alot of comparisions have been drawn between Newson's and lovegrove's work)

cheers :(

Guest sketch_render

Period specific books im interested in getting are ::

:: Design for the 21st Century by Taschen ($85)

:: Scandinavian Design by Taschen ($85)

Design for the 21 century is a good general book covering popular/important designs/companys/groups of that century.. covers like 100 of them, lots of pictures and talks about each ones philospohies, ethic ect... The legendary "Phil rose" lent me this one, very good book!

Scandinavian Design is similar to the one above but purely covers scandinavian works/companys/groups/designers...Very good aswell ..but thats just me because i love Scandinavian design...

cheers :(

Guest rodanx86

Just found one that I plan on Buying,

Its called Cradle to Cradle by Michael McDonough (spelling? sorry). It's about Green design and the formationof design communities. Heavy stuff.... I like it.

Guest helman

Hi all,

I'm actually reading Cradle to Cradle at the moment and am using some of it as the basis for teaching Environmental Design at Newcastle Uni in Australia.

It is brilliant. McDonough and Braungart are really onto something with this book. It identifies really simple things in life that have gone horribly wrong and addresses a different way of approaching design. It is a book about a responsible approach to design. You could say it's a book about design ethics.

Have a read - AWESOME.

Guest CheckMate

does anyone know of any good books on manufacturing techniques for metals , polymers, ceramics and composites? all in one book or lots of books for each material catagory or for specific manufacturing processes? this would be interesting!

Guest Aphasia

I read the Cradle to Cradle book about 2 years ago and i think it's about the first Design book that i have read every word of. It's actually a very gripping book with tonnes of examples of how design can be used to stop the continuous destruction of te planet by making things which can be taken back by the earth.

Great great read ;)

Guest Hazdaz

Hey guys - n00b here... 1st post on this site.

I've been in the drafting/engineering/manufacturing/design/visualization industry for quite a few years. Recently I have been shifting more and more into the creative side of my business... even more than before actually. While I try to get my ideas from just everyday life - especially during my long commute home -, I would still love to get some good design books.

Anyone have any recommendations?

BTW, not sure how common this question is, so I already searched, but didn't get too much.