Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest captain

What Cad Package

Guest captain

My Boss has asked me to conduct a review of our Engineering software. Currently we use Acad 2007. I find the 3D modelling very clunky to use compared to SW. (used 06 in previous job) Useability aside, we are looking to 3D model all our parts which consist of cast metal, pressed and forged metal, injection molded plastics, some fabricated/lasercut steel sections and a small amount of sheet metal.

We will be looking to use a package that has the ability to intergrate with FEA (or have it built in) and can output parasolid for easy communication with customers.

What i'm asking is what are people using and why they chose that over the other available packages and what sort of work/designing is it predominantly used for. Are you using surface or solid modelling?

Thanks for your help everyone, great forum

Guest IvanRD

Any one of those that you mention will do the job. You forgot to add Solid Edge as a possible candidate. Why don't you ask local re-sellers to come and do a presentation of each and show you exactly the workflow and how it would relate to your business.

Don't forget that part of your decision making process should be how many people are trained to use a particular package - is there a resource pool of people that are able to jump in and work on a project without training?

I would suggest Solidworks for your application, since it is a hybrid modeller capable of doing surfacing and solid modelling, sheet metal module is pretty good and various FEA tools are available. It is based on a Parasolid kernel.

Ivan

Guest triax

I believe as you already have AutoCAD that you can change to Inventor for less money than if you were not already an AutoCAD user.....However it might be a good idea to keep this one hush from your directors unless you really want to go down that path...Having limited use of inventor I can only go on my friends experiences and so far I don't know any one who has backed inventor over Solidworks/Solidedge and those who use it want SolidWorks:)

Take a good look at SolidWorks and Solidedge.

I agree you should get reps to come and show off the product, most importantly make sure they know what you do and what you want to achieve otherwise they may set their own agenda (sales blurb) and you won't get a great deal from the event.

Regards,

T.

Guest A-Line

+1 for SolidWorks.

We had engineers in our office using both ProE and SW, and quite preferred SW unless the assemblies were huge. They also liked SW's Cosmos add-ons for FEA, although for CFD they used a different package.

I perfer SolidWorks as well, but my experience with ProE is somewhat limited.

Guest AxelRod

In my opinion, the most important thing is training and support. Make the reseller work for you. Your company is going to make a huge investment, and your reseller is the one you will be talking to most. Make sure they will be up to the task of helping you when you need it the most. There should also be a good pool of users to seek out and ask advice in your area. See if there is a usergroup in your area, you may be able to go even though you dont use the software yet.

I use SolidWorks, and have done so since '96. It can be a great piece of software, and also a royal pain in the backside sometimes too. Ive also used Inventor, and Pro-E. I like SW because it doesnt take a masters degree in investigation techniques to figure out how to use it. In my area SW is definitly the software of choice, and most of our venders over seas use it too.

They are all good programs, the all have their weaknesses. No one can be a jack-of-all traits. EVERYONE has bugs... if they say they are bug free, look somewhere else.

Guest captain

Thanks for your responses, i've been a user of solidworks at my previous job for about 4 years and i agree, its great, albeit with the odd bug or two.

I've contacted all the resellers for all the softwares. Now we have the job of evaluating them!

Guest pgumprecht

Hey Captain,

just an FYI but Soldworks native file format is parasolids.

good luck

Guest captain

OK, have had the Solid egde rep in and got an evaluation licence. Have played around a little and it seems OK, but different to SW, so a little clunky on it.

Have some issues with keyboard customization. I like to assign keys to just about every function i use on a regular basis, so i have some questions:

Can you assign a key without it having 'CTRL +' with it, eg just 'L' to draw a line.

Secondly, can you make your hot keys global? I added a bunch of shortcut keys in the part i was working with, and they worked great, apart from having to use control button, but when i moved to an assembly file, my shortcuts had dissapeared?

Perhaps there is some sort of setting wizard that may help here.

Your help appreciated, thanks

Hey captain,

Im a solidedge user..used solidworks at uni and the company I am employed at uses solidedge..yeah its different, the rendering program you will be dissapointed with..that is my biggest drawback with virtual studio...its a dud in my opinion compared to the likes of photoworks.

With regards to shortcut keys...i don't use them too often..i use a spaceball and have designated buttons on that for things like zooming in and out, view orientation etc... as the projects i work on involve a lot of zooming in and out on areas.

Solidedge seems to have a reasonable support team, though i have bumped into incidents in the past where I was learning and nobody was able to help me inhouse and the support team took me on various tangents..so got a little fustrating...the training programs I am unsure about, have yet to attend one...

Guest captain
Hey captain,

Im a solidedge user..used solidworks at uni and the company I am employed at uses solidedge..yeah its different, the rendering program you will be dissapointed with..that is my biggest drawback with virtual studio...its a dud in my opinion compared to the likes of photoworks.

With regards to shortcut keys...i don't use them too often..i use a spaceball and have designated buttons on that for things like zooming in and out, view orientation etc... as the projects i work on involve a lot of zooming in and out on areas.

Solidedge seems to have a reasonable support team, though i have bumped into incidents in the past where I was learning and nobody was able to help me inhouse and the support team took me on various tangents..so got a little fustrating...the training programs I am unsure about, have yet to attend one...

Thanks Tim, is there anything you like better than SWorks with SEdge? or is it pretty much on a par?

I do a lot of sheetmetal with solidedge and find it good for that...never did much with solidworks...like most people comment...the programs are pretty much par..just that solidworks is advertised much better hence why everyone knows about it. Solidedge kinda lays out all the steps for you...as u may have noticed with the tutorials...when u r going about creating springs etc...seems to be harder to make mistakes and easier to find the problem why something won't create. But yeah...it depends on what your boss is looking to produce with the package...i have been looking for something i can import solidedge files into (or export files) to improve renderings...you can get reasonable renderings with a bit of practice...but not comparitive to solidworks, maya etc....mind u..im pretty picky in that area

Guest ParaCAD

I uses SE currently but my vote still goes to SW.

I've only used Pro/E pre-wildfire.

As far as verses, I would think Inventor would be in the range of SW or SE.

SE is the midrange package, and NX is the high end package from UGS..there would be $$ differences and functionality differences.

Also SW is midrange package, and left out was Catia high end package from Dassault systems.

Guest Perfectude

I use Rhino but in your case I would say SW

I model in Rhino and if I need to shell or fillet special I will take it to solidwork..

Guest pgumprecht

yes,

to answer your question about shortcut keys. you can assign a function directly to a letter or number.

hope this helps

Guest captain
yes,

to answer your question about shortcut keys. you can assign a function directly to a letter or number.

hope this helps

Is there a way how? I simply right click the toolbar, select customize and navigate my way from there to the short cut keys. But Edge won't let me use a single character, it must be combined with the crtl, alt or shift button. Very frustrating.

I've also found constraining sketches in Edge rather difficult and not intuitive. It works well for general geometric shapes involving squares and circles, but star including multiple arcs and splines its a different story, what are others experiences?

Also, can solid egde create part configurations?