Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest gabbrielli

Intous3 Or Cintiq 21ux ?

Guest gabbrielli

Hi I’ve got a question for this forum.

I live in Italy and I work for a motorhome firm.

We are going to buy Alias design Studio, and the hardware:

I’ve got two choose :

1)Intuos3 A3 Wide

2)Cintiq 21ux

Clarely I would like to buy Cintiq 21ux because I would like work directly on the screen, and because is more sensible then intus3, it is more intuitive, and then....

Can you suggest more resaon to convince my boss to buy Cintiq

Thanks

Francesco

Check out Wacom's site.

http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm

They actually have a whole section dedicated to convincing you a Cintiq is worth it if you spend that many hours working with it.

If you're working in a professional environment and are doing a lot of graphic/sketching/illustration work (especially in Alias) then a Cintiq is a much better match.

Guest merijn

I worked with both and found out that for solidworks i like the intuos and for freehand sketching a cintiq is great. Depends what kind of work you do the most.

A con with the cintiq is that your hand block a part of the screen and thus part of your interface. Especially with solidworks that's quite inconvenient!

And still a cintiq is pretty expensive!!

Guest blck
A con with the cintiq is that your hand block a part of the screen and thus part of your interface. Especially with solidworks that's quite inconvenient!

And still a cintiq is pretty expensive!!

Very true...altough it's amazing how natural it feels. I've just bought the artpen and now I can start sketching on screen like I once used to on paper...Still I prefer paper and a simple pen...but for fast coloring and all other experiments it's the best. And it is a HUGE screen. Rly

At the end of the day i dont think you will regret either choice. I will add to some thoughts about the Cintiq though. I also use one at work and have found that although the rotation the screen gives is good for natural sketching....the paralex correction does not adjust itself to whatever new angle you are looking at the screen. You get used to it after a while though. Also, dont think you will ever be lifting it off its stand and using it on your lap. Its just to heavy at the moment.....not to mention the massive cable connecting it to the PC. Having said that, these are just some thoughts....given the choice i would always take the Cintiq. It works.....and looks cool to boot (and makes the engineers jealous!!)

For help on learning the skills and techniques of automotive design, visit, www.designertechniques.com

sketching is a kind of communication device. ı have a intuos 3 a5 and I am a student for now. I used cintiq in a design office. ı want to clear that if you see or work with cintiq you dont wanna draw on a intuos for a while. you line without seeing where you go... Yes you can get used to draw with an intuos but the important question why should ı draw without seeing? if you have money in your pocket than buy cintiq. İntuos is also well but their working system is so different. cintiq is more powerful device. because you draw with your eyes. :)

Guest sketcher23

If you are trying to convince your boss, just tell him that the cintiq will save deskspace and money doubling as a monitor and drawing tablet. Its also much closer to the characteristic of drawing on paper, your looking at your drawing as you draw it, not looking away from your hands as you work. plus its just easier to pull the cintiq off the stand and start drawing on your lap then it is to fit your tablet onto your already clustered work area.