Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stallion

Golf Club Concept

Guest Stallion

Hi everyone,

I'm working on this piece and would like some input. Its a golf driver and I'm trying to take some of the new technological trends and incorporate them into a new design concept. these are mostly sketches and rough renderings but I've begun work on a solid model as well as final renderings, so stay tuned.

Any input on the design itself as well as my sketch work and renderings is appreciated.

Thanks

Club10.jpg

Club8.jpg

Club7.jpg

Club6.jpg

Club4.jpg

Club9.jpg

Club2.jpg

Club1.jpg

Club5.jpg

Club3.jpg

Guest ORCA 2J

nice sketches, but im having a problem with what makes sketch number 1 better than sketch number 20. i dont see any notations but you mention of incorporating new technology in your golf clubs, but all i see is form development.

Guest almunro

nice designs but as orca said, there's no standout use of 'new' technology. now im no expert but i play off scratch and have worked in teh golf retail industry up until late last year. the new technologies center around MOI (moment of inertia), and maximising it. this basically means making the club face stay stable and aligned through impact even on off center hits. also important is the positioning of the centre of gravity farther back and lower so the ball launch angles rise however with a reduced amount of backspin... basically so it gets up quickly but flattens out and still rolls when it lands... optimum carry distance plus optimum roll, not just either or.

to maximise MOI you need to move as much of the club head's weight back and apart. this is why you'll see almost square clubs coming out very shortly eg the callaway ft-i

Callway FT-i

if you can think about those things and then use your nice designs then that would be a better solution. The hollow idea is interesting (reminiscent of the Bullet driver), although usually the body of the clubhead keeps its structural stability constant through impact. anyway, i think your heading in the right direction.

sorry bout the rant.

alex ;)

Guest Stallion

thanks for the comments guys. I defintiely realized what you meant about no annotations. I thought the same to myself yesterday. got so wrapped up in my own thoughts, I forgot to put them down on the paper.

almunro, thanks for all the insite on the technology. I have been studying the big name companies and what they have to say about the new designs. also, I've been in touch with sales reps as well as a couple club pros that I know. I too am a golfer, though not nearly as often as I'd like. I'm glad you found that hollow design interesting. The drive behind it was basically all the reading I had done on the importance of the weight distribution and MOI and everything else you discussed. I thought it might be interesting to try to accomodate those needs but cut out the rest, you know? Similar to some of the very radical putter designs that are out, some pretty crazy structure behind those faces.

Thanks again guys, I'm excited to get home from work and pump out some more sketches. Hopefully I'll get some more up soon.

Guest almunro

stallion, its good youve talked to the reps. they usually know their stuff. i agree there are some crazy putter designs out there but i guess there's alot less structural stability required for a putter as opposed to a driver which is swung anywhere up to 120mph. i think ultimately it would take testing to see whether your hollow designs would stand up to the forces exerted on the face and whether the resulting structural flex was within the required limits.

i like these designs -

clubs3xy.jpg

Alex

Guest mylesmontgomerydesign

nice work. good to see some golf design as it's a field i'd love to get into. The final designs are a little over the top although i do like a club thats attractive to look down apon. The driver i take is integrating weight balance/ball flight technology like the Rseries taylormades. I personally like the original drawings for shape and form.

I've just posted some iron concepts i did a while ago. check it

out

my iron concepts