- - - - -

Toy Project: No-battery Moving Toy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kovalev27_*

Guest_Kovalev27_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:27 AM

Hi guys. I just started a new semester, and my first project is to design a toy. Any kind of toy. The only limit is that the toy can't use any batteries and it has to use some kind of system to move, create inertia...

Such systems can be seen in little toy cars, which u have to roll the car backwards and let it go or with those flying toys, in which u pull a cord, and the small helicopter-like object goes flying arround the room. Or a air pump system to lunch a rocket.

The briefing was actually: Make a toy that does something without the use of batteries.

Iv had some ideas about using an inertia wheel wheel one of those spiked cords to spin a fan that would be used to lift a hoovercraft-style toy, there is no such toys right now and i think it would be fun. I had just a slight ideation setion, still thinking about other ideas right now.

Any siggestions? idead? Thx in advance. Maybe any of you know some other kind of systems that do not use battery power.

#2 Guest_DevrajJoshi_*

Guest_DevrajJoshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

hovercrafts need to be light to be effective and flywheels and winding mechanism are inherantly rather heavy so you may run into some difficulties...as is my expereience anyway. Have you considered gravity as a power source; everyone goes for the wind up/wheels method....

by the by - how do you define "does something"... ?

#3 Guest_Kovalev27_*

Guest_Kovalev27_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

By does something, i meant that it can't be static, we have to integrate some kind of mechanism to make it do an action. Right now, i know only 3 mechanisms like that.

#4 Guest_Timind_*

Guest_Timind_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

How about solar power?
Or water? (falling under gravity)

#5 Guest_Kovalev27_*

Guest_Kovalev27_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:26 PM

Solar powered toy would be too big and not give enought electricity to make it do much. No electricity in the toy.

#6 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:46 PM

By does something, i meant that it can't be static, we have to integrate some kind of mechanism to make it do an action. Right now, i know only 3 mechanisms like that.

There are tons of mechanical ways to make toys move. Gears, springs, cams, pistons, levers, gravity, etc. I wouldn't be so dead set on making something that has to generate it's own momentum or movement. I would first pick a target age group (infants, todders, children) to help develop basic criteria.

I've done too many illicit substances to remember much of my child hood, but the one thing that comes to my mind that worked similar to what you're discussing was a little wooden firetruck with a little blocklike wooden fire fighter. You could raise the ladder in the air and put the fire fighter on the top. It had 2 notches on each side and would tumble down flipping from step to step till it reached the bottom. I know it's still somewhere in my house so I guess it had enough value that we didn't throw it away.

I wouldn't get too complex, the best toys are often the simplest. I've seen kids more entertained with a big box or a slinky then any of these toys out now with a million buttons and different noisemakers and gadgets.

#7 Guest_Kovalev27_*

Guest_Kovalev27_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:43 AM

i'll be getting my project sheet tomorow. But it was specified that it has to have some kind of mechanism.

Ill be giving more details soon

#8 Guest_R.B_*

Guest_R.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:59 PM

As simple as it might sound, but one of those parachute soldiers that you throw off a building and floats down to the ground, those were fun and cheap, but perhaps you could add a twist to the theme perhaps and modernise it somehow?

And have a look at toystore websites for those wooden toys, there are some quite sophisticated mechanisms in them these days.

#9 Guest_DevrajJoshi_*

Guest_DevrajJoshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

goto the library and find a copy of Ingenious mechanisms for designers and inventors, there are four volumes, if it moves - it'll be in there...

Posted Image
RB's little picture reminds me of a toy i saw once... it had ball bearings instead of little people - but there was a set of platforms and springs and slides and such like - you would place 6 or 7 ball bearings into it and it would run almost indefinatly. Like the first ball would run down a ramp into a hopper which would swing to one side - causing the second ball to roll down the ramp. When the second ball reached the bottom or the ramp the hopper would have sprung back in place. the whole circuit took about 45 seconds - kept me amused for aages just watching it. Think marble run meets mouse trap (the game), perhaps something like that...

#10 Guest_R.B_*

Guest_R.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:08 AM

goto the library and find a copy of Ingenious mechanisms for designers and inventors, there are four volumes, if it moves - it'll be in there...

Posted Image
RB's little picture reminds me of a toy i saw once... it had ball bearings instead of little people - but there was a set of platforms and springs and slides and such like - you would place 6 or 7 ball bearings into it and it would run almost indefinatly. Like the first ball would run down a ramp into a hopper which would swing to one side - causing the second ball to roll down the ramp. When the second ball reached the bottom or the ramp the hopper would have sprung back in place. the whole circuit took about 45 seconds - kept me amused for aages just watching it. Think marble run meets mouse trap (the game), perhaps something like that...

You want trippy, tile my avatar on your desktop *lol*

but speaking of marbles...so you guys still have the 1min timer project where you have a marble to start and a second marble to show that a min has passed, whole thing has to fit inside a shoe box and be totally mechanical......just used a bunch of shoots and trap doors to open a tank that dumped an amount of salt that would lower a box to release the second marble, that's what I did anyway and I got it bang on the minute, which was lucky....but that was purely mechanical and had motion, so good go with something like that...time keeping and pivoting troughs :)

#11 Guest_DevrajJoshi_*

Guest_DevrajJoshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

what like this? http://scientificson...hcd2=1169626602

not seen that project yet, i dont think its a first year BSc one at anyrate... what module?

#12 Guest_R.B_*

Guest_R.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

what like this? http://scientificson...hcd2=1169626602

not seen that project yet, i dont think its a first year BSc one at anyrate... what module?

page couldn't be displayed....and dont' think it's till the second year, can't remember the module, but it's a mechanisms one with gearing/pulleys/levers and all that fun stuff.

#13 Guest_DevrajJoshi_*

Guest_DevrajJoshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

Posted Image
there we go

the 2nd year's mechanisms project (just finished) was an automaton - which by the way - would be an excellent sort of mechanical toy. You turn a little handle and this model of a bloke chops wood or something. i made one at school with cams in it that made a worm wriggle around as a display piece for a book store (book worm geddit)

http://www.mechanical-toys.com/

have a read of this to see what i mean

#14 Guest_newt @ MWE_*

Guest_newt @ MWE_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:45 PM

hey

search automata in google. you get tons and tons of ideas and mechanisms. what is wrong with having a toy that the child moves with it's own power, say a bike or skateboard?

i remember in second year we had a very similar project, i didn't have to be a toy though, it could be anything. just no electricity/batteries of any kind.

good luck and keep us posted.

#15 Guest_Kovalev27_*

Guest_Kovalev27_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:54 PM

Ok. So one of my 1st concepts. It is an early ideation. It is 2 trains, with an inertia wheel mechanismn a strip cord to power that inertia wheel. Basically, both trains are sitting on a drag racing track, with the back wheel, which is the driving wheel, lifted up in the air by a clip system attached on to the station.

How it works: You put both trains side by side on the clips. Each kid pull the Strip Cord at the same time thus powering the rear wheel which now spins crazily in the air.
Then on of the kids, press a lever in the middle back of the drag station to release both trains at the same time by lowering the clips and allowing the driving rear wheels to make contact with the track. I feel it can be fun because it allways depends wich kid pulls the cord the best. If u pull the cord too hard, the gears will slip, and thus having the wheel spin slower than the other kid.

My 1st ideation page:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: