Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
eobet

Why Is The Iphone Design So Bad?

*OLD POST REMOVED*

I haven't visited this forum for a year or two, but now I'm back lurking, and I remembered this thread...

The thread originally basically said that Apple made many strange design decisions with the original iPhone, which didn't make it seem like an Apple product when you looked at it.

There were too many buttons on the side of the device (the iPod wasn't even allowed a power button), while the front "home" button was too cryptic (I now realize that it's the outline of an iPhone application icon, but I still think it should be at least four outlines in a pattern, to further connect it to the home screen's actual layout as well).

The black, chrome and brushed metal were too much of a good thing, too many different elements trying to work together in a small package and it just looked messy. And at the same time, there was a big, black plastic blotch on the back side for the antenna, which didn't even line up with the edge of the screen and the black area on the front.

But now, they released the iPhone 3G.

With the new device, they not only fixed all the issues, but also added some lovely innovation! The entire design is now more homogeneous with the reduced number of materials (the brushed metal is gone), and the chrome being reused on more parts of the device. The black plastic backside can now allow for the antenna to be completely invisible, and the tapered sides makes it feel slimmer and futuristic. They even made the speakers sexy.

All sins are forgiven.

Guest lufbrasketch

Its interesting how they have gone for a full touch screen which would give almost no physical feedback to the user when compaired to your physical keymat on many phones. But I must say, the thing looks clean and a big display is always a bonus when it comes to touch.

You're right about it having no feedback, but the multi-touch screen is something new and something very cool IMO. That was one of the big technologies I had researched this past semester and I think you will be seeing much, much more of it in the future. The way it lets you use gestures to perform operations like scaling is really smart.

I will say I've never been excited about a phone, an mp3 player, or any Apple piece of hardware, and I am sure there will be a ton of associated problems (scratched screens, etc) but I think they're onto something good with this.

I'm sure some of us will feel like this: http://www.pvponline.com/article/3075/tue-jan-09

I was impressed with all the features and the nice interface videos on the Apple site. I agree it looks a bit different from the typical Apple products, more of a safe bet rather than something completely new. Overall the whole user experience will be the most important though and they might've nailed that (I'll still stick to something else than iTunes to put mp3's and video on it though..)

Guest Bbarn
Where is the recognizable white and transparent/shiny plastic?

Im actually pleased to see this phone WITHOUT the white/trans/shiny plastic. It is a relief imo. The fact that it isnt the recognizable white could actually steer me towards the phone.

I was just looking at the Nintendo DS, this iPhone looks to have a pretty powerful bit of hardware behind it, I wonder if it can play DS style games (you could even split up the wide screen in two smaller ones).

Maybe some kind of music game would fit..

Guest superbad

Is that really a chrome bezel on the front? Kind of hard to tell. I'm a little surprised they bothered to put the "home" button on the front- doesn't seem all that necessary.

But the external design isn't what has people excited. Watching the videos of the interface in action made me feel like I needed one of these, and fast. I don't get that very often.

Guest fishodeath
I was just looking at the Nintendo DS, this iPhone looks to have a pretty powerful bit of hardware behind it, I wonder if it can play DS style games (you could even split up the wide screen in two smaller ones).

Maybe some kind of music game would fit..

That could open the iPhone to a whole new market. And we all know crazy gamer geeks have way to much money to spend on gadgets so apple should look into that.

Now that I think about it, Apple and Nintendo seem to have alot in common (ie. game play/smooth interface > mass processing power/extra gadgets), they should get together and make a handheld or something.

Where is the recognizable white and transparent/shiny plastic?

Im actually pleased to see this phone WITHOUT the white/trans/shiny plastic. It is a relief imo. The fact that it isnt the recognizable white could actually steer me towards the phone.

I'm guessing you are male. Have you asked any females what they think about the new design?

First thing I thought of when I saw it was this BenQ-Siemens concept:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/benq...hone-204284.php

Pretty slick concept, still..

Concepts are irrelevant here. This is real.

Guest superbad
I'm guessing you are male. Have you asked any females what they think about the new design?

I have, and my wife wants one. I don't think she would want it more if it were white or pink.

I have, and my wife wants one. I won't think she would want it more if it were white or pink.

Interesting. Could more people on this forum ask their wives or girlfriends about this, I wonder?

My girlfriend disliked the black and wanted wite or all-metal instead.

First thing I thought of when I saw it was this BenQ-Siemens concept:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/benq...hone-204284.php

Pretty slick concept, still..

Concepts are irrelevant here. This is real.

I'm not going to argue over that, but remember the keynote was an elaborate presentation where nothing really can go wrong.. the iPhone is still half a year away and real-life experiences with the product are non-existent yet.

Anyways, I just noticed the resemblence, it's not just Apple that thinks of these things, but they do push the envelope into bringing stuff to the market. However, the first-generation Apple product problem is still something to be weary about.