Why Is The Ipod So Good?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_method_*

Guest_method_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

R.B

Whilst you make a valid point about changing an iPod battery, most people are not as stupid as you think and by what you say and how you say it you are coming off as a pretentious little college boy who thinks he is self important because he goes to Brunel but probably has no real world experience.

I’m not trying to be aggressive but it seems every time I read one of your posts you have some derogatory remark to make which is of no help to anyone.

If everyone else is so stupid how come you can’t even type ‘their’ in the correct context?

“People are stupid, don't over estimate there abilities”

I suggest you keep your analysis of other peoples abilities to yourself.

M

#17 Guest_R.B_*

Guest_R.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:15 PM

R.B

Whilst you make a valid point about changing an iPod battery, most people are not as stupid as you think and by what you say and how you say it you are coming off as a pretentious little college boy who thinks he is self important because he goes to Brunel but probably has no real world experience.

I’m not trying to be aggressive but it seems every time I read one of your posts you have some derogatory remark to make which is of no help to anyone.

If everyone else is so stupid how come you can’t even type ‘their’ in the correct context?

“People are stupid, don't over estimate there abilities”

I suggest you keep your analysis of other peoples abilities to yourself.

M

Be as it may, but I graduated uni 5 years ago and live in the US now. And while you might think that I am taking the piss out of people, I'm not. Being a designer, you tend to hang out with people who think like yourself...and sure, don't want to tar everyone as stupid, but if you honestly think that everyone out there will get even the best of designs straight away, you are being blinkered in your thinking. There are plenty of people who can't even figure out how to switch a computer on, or know where the address bar in the browser is, and if you think I'm taking the piss, ask anyone that has worked in a call centre help line.

UI design is very tough, even in a linear process, so your aiming to get as many people to feel comfortable with it, but you will still exclude large numbers of people.

And yes, I know, this site asks for English, but the last time I checked, this also wasn't an English essay forum.

#18 Guest_nocone_*

Guest_nocone_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

about integration of iPod and PC/Mac it's for me just brilliant, it works, just quietly does what it is supoused to do and thet's all. I love the navigation, and simplicity, quality of sound is bad neither. And I hate all those add-ons to mp3s which are totally unuseful for most people.

#19 cash68

cash68

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Interests:Cars. Boats. Vintage stereos. Dogs. Design. Skiing.
  • At:BjorktenBit7

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

:)-->
QUOTE(R.B @ Jan 6 2007, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, because voiding your warranty is a good thing....[/quote]

If you still had a warranty you could get the battery replaced free, jackass.

#20 Guest_R.B_*

Guest_R.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

If you still had a warranty you could get the battery replaced free, jackass.

Batteries aren't covered by most warranties though, and your still left out of pocket paying for postage, and then left with no device while it gets taken care of, versus most other devices where you just slide the back off and replace it yourself.

And I don't have anything really against the ipod except itunes, it's a good little system, but it's not the be all and end all best out there like many make it out to be.

jackarse, indeed.

#21 Turbofrog

Turbofrog

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:57 PM

I've never been thrilled by the iPod's ergonomics, I must say. It's not intuitive, it's just ubiquitous, so everyone's seen how to use it at some point or another.

But then, the only MP3 player I have is a 4-year old 128 MB flash one that only sees use when jogging, so you can tell the "personal music revolution" has had a lot of influence on my life...

#22 Guest_olmasters@googlemail.com_*

Guest_olmasters@googlemail.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

Bringing you back to the question of "Why is the Ipod so good?". This inherently depends on whether you are referring to popularity or actual practicality or specification of the product compared with others on the market. On the popularity side of things, I think really more than people taking the time to look at specs, the "I-Pod" brand is now more of a cult obsession amongst teenagers and adults alike. Although the ipod has a very simplistic appearance and graceful pose. Like many of the best designs, it is not without its flaws. For instance technically speaking, you can only upload music to the ipod using itunes, although there are programs which are able to crack this to allow drop and drag (similar to loading documents to a flash drive). If watching videos of viewing photos, you have to put up with a tiny screen etc. The device is also limited in music organisation features as well as having minor reliability issues. Overall though, I'd just say that as one of the first well known companies making quality mp3 players. Many people simply assume first is best and are under the opinion that looks also offer features. Don't get me wrong, although I do not own an ipod, I do think they offer most of the features required in a modern music player, with added style to match. I do find it very irritating though when people often associate the ipod as being the only mp3 player on the market. Many people simply are un-educated about the alternatives provided by other companies, and are under the impression that large brand names provide great features, where in many cases people are mistaken. Really the spec of an ipod is infact very similar to that of other mp3 players, often offering better value. But at the end of the day, it depends on whether you would be willing to sacrifice a little performance for the sake of a brand or physical appearance, or to the requirements “needed” by the user

Ollie

#23 Guest_DCrux_*

Guest_DCrux_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:29 PM

Overall though, I'd just say that as one of the first well known companies making quality mp3 players. Many people simply assume first is best and are under the opinion that looks also offer features.

In this case, the iPhone should be an interesting experiment. Well-known, big companies, some who have already partnered with Apple (ROKR). Last I checked, most have budgets and marketing departments. Apple should do quite poorly -- once the initial buzz winds down. Apple will introduce nothing new, make a big fuss about it, and maybe it won't flop but it won't make much of a dent in the mobile market.

#24 Guest_R.B_*

Guest_R.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:02 AM

Overall though, I'd just say that as one of the first well known companies making quality mp3 players. Many people simply assume first is best and are under the opinion that looks also offer features.

In this case, the iPhone should be an interesting experiment. Well-known, big companies, some who have already partnered with Apple (ROKR). Last I checked, most have budgets and marketing departments. Apple should do quite poorly -- once the initial buzz winds down. Apple will introduce nothing new, make a big fuss about it, and maybe it won't flop but it won't make much of a dent in the mobile market.

should be interesting, does have some interesting features, and apple, for the faults and none fans, does have a "stylish" image, and the macworld talk thingy today with this did give the company a 8% stock hike, which was surprising considering all the rumours and news of poor health about the big cheese, Jobs.

#25 cash68

cash68

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

B)-->
QUOTE(R.B @ Jan 8 2007, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote name='cash68' post='34000' date='Jan 8 2007, 02:38 PM']If you still had a warranty you could get the battery replaced free, jackass.[/quote]
Batteries aren't covered by most warranties though, and your still left out of pocket paying for postage, and then left with no device while it gets taken care of, versus most other devices where you just slide the back off and replace it yourself.

And I don't have anything really against the ipod except itunes, it's a good little system, but it's not the be all and end all best out there like many make it out to be.

jackarse, indeed.
[/quote]

Yes it is. If it's under warranty and your battery goes dead you take it into an apple store and they fix it for you. And what the heck is wrong with itunes?

#26 cash68

cash68

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:08 PM

People said the same thing about the iPod.

#27 Guest_superbad_*

Guest_superbad_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

I always laugh when I read that the iPod is only successful because of "marketing." Although reading something like that coming out of the mouth of a product designer makes me a little sad too. If only it were that easy. The world is full of crappy products that failed in spite of having had vast sums of money spent on marketing. Do you really think your job means so little to the success of a product? The iPod is a success largely because it was the first (and really still the only) MP3 player to look at the entire experience as a design problem, and solve it in an integrated, well-designed way. Everybody else is still caught in the feature list mentality, and they are still getting their asses handed to them. I am willing to bet Microsoft spent far more on Zune marketing last year than Apple spent on the iPod- how did that work out for them?

That's also why the iPhone is going to be a success. When was the last time you saw the general public excited by a phone? It's not because of hype or marketing, it's because everybody hates their cell phone. You watch the videos of this thing in action and it's like showing a 2007 Mercedes 600 to Karl Benz in 1898. It might not be this particular model that cleans up, but you can bet your ass Apple will have a $200 smaller version of this thing out in a year or two that doesn't have all the "smartphone" bits, and that's the one that's going to put the smackdown on the mobile phone industry. And the internet will still be full of geeks moaning about "marketing" and "sheep" and "hype" while they struggle through half a dozen button presses trying to get to the music player menu on their Samsungs.

#28 Guest_R.B_*

Guest_R.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Yes it is. If it's under warranty and your battery goes dead you take it into an apple store and they fix it for you. And what the heck is wrong with itunes?

Not always, only covered if it is a faulty battery, not covered if it dies because you use it loads and the re-charge wears the battery down. Also how many apple stores are there across the country? There aren't that many, for a lot of people, they would have to send them in, which is down time and expense.

As for iTunes, the smart play list is great, and if you have an iPod etc, it's good, but it's crap if you want to buy your music elsewhere which have DRM, iTunes is also pretty bad at recovering library information if you have to redo your computer, it's also not that great at getting tag information, syncing to non-ipod devices and there are a bunch of other little problems with it.

The mac version is better than the PC version though. And that said, there are quirks with other media players as well, but you use what you prefer, and in my case, I just didn't like it enough to keep after I changed computers at work.

#29 Guest_R.B_*

Guest_R.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

I always laugh when I read that the iPod is only successful because of "marketing." Although reading something like that coming out of the mouth of a product designer makes me a little sad too. If only it were that easy. The world is full of crappy products that failed in spite of having had vast sums of money spent on marketing. Do you really think your job means so little to the success of a product? The iPod is a success largely because it was the first (and really still the only) MP3 player to look at the entire experience as a design problem, and solve it in an integrated, well-designed way. Everybody else is still caught in the feature list mentality, and they are still getting their asses handed to them. I am willing to bet Microsoft spent far more on Zune marketing last year than Apple spent on the iPod- how did that work out for them?

True, it ain't all marketing, it's having the head start...and you can't compare Zune to iPod unless you compare it to when iPod first came out.

Brand name and loyalty also help. The product isn't that bad, but it isn't fantastic either, certainly for the money, and there are better sounding players for the money, iRiver, Creative...less pretty players, but certainly a lot cheaper would be any line of players you see at walmart etc.

When the ipod first came out, it was the best, but it hasn't done much to keep itself that way, but the brand image is enough to keep it a head, and that's down to good blanket fired marketing.

#30 Guest_DevrajJoshi_*

Guest_DevrajJoshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:12 PM

Back to iPhone for a second - have a look over this - it outlines 10things that are just plain wrong with the iPhone and alot can be said about the iPod too. http://apcmag.com/49...bout_the_iphone

I've had an iRiver iHP120 for 4 years now - no photos or video but as an unadulterated audiophile ive found nothing better. People say its hard to use - but tbh the interface is just as intutative as any other player i have come across, MP3 players in my view are something that you will have for some time (6months-several years) so learning an interface isnt a problem. Of course i didnt know how it exactly worked when i looked at one in Dixons... thats what the manual is for.

Now your going to argue that if i had to read the manual then the design is unintuative - however - if i asked you how to change the frequncy reseponse levels on an iPods grpahics EQ (and you weren't an iPod user, just a nub who bums apple) would you be able to tell me how. Hell - im a geek of the highest standing and i couldnt figure it out without checking the manual...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store